• Back to Homepage
  • Doogie's LITTER KWITTER Forums - The Place for Cat Toilet Training  
    Old July 12th 2008, 12:35 PM
    Site Admin

Default Litter everywhere

My kittens are on their 3rd day of the red stage and they seem to love it and its going fine...except for the mess lol when they dig, they end up accidentally throwing litter out all over my bathroom..and not just a little bit like happens with a regular litter box lol I tried putting less litter in, but poor dingle needed to use it the second it was clean, and started meowing at me until i put enough litter in the disk to suit his needs lol are there any suggestions on controlling the amount of litter that is thrown everywhere?
    Old July 15th 2008, 01:27 PM
    Site Admin

Hi Mandy,

Unfortunately you will have litter all over your floor for as long as you are using litter! I think most of us have a dust pan and brush permanetly in the toilet now to keep sweeping up the litter. Even though now that I'm on green there is less litter on the floor... it still gets there when Giz is keen to dig for China when it involves solids! Good luck with your training.
    Old December 9th 2008, 07:13 AM
    Site Admin

Yes, I had the same problem with my two kittens, Greebo & Allie. I cleaned their red & amber stage 3 times a day (I mean dumped out any remaining litter & washed the ring w/ regular & pet odor cleaner). Most of the litter was on the floor anyway & I had to sweep it up with a dust pan. I think I went thru more litter in the first 2 stages than I would have in 2 months worth of litter pan use.

However, they are have been on the green-stage ring for the last 3 weeks without litter!

It'll get better - honest.

Ps - & in those first stages litter was not the only thing getting flung around the room.
    Old April 4th 2010, 03:19 PM
    Site Admin

The swivelsweeper is very good for this.. saves getting the whole vacuum out.
    Old April 11th 2010, 03:34 AM
    Site Admin

I just been using a little handheld rechargeable vac, the tiny ones that you empty out the little compartment, it's what we use to clean the car as well. I bought a second one just for cleaning up the little messes around the house before getting LK, cause the cats would make a mess with the litter before, and I would use the handheld vac for it instead of getting out the big (I use a kirby) vacuum out everytime. But I still use my kirby once a day, but for the small messes throughout the day I'd just use the handheld.
    Old July 9th 2010, 12:14 AM
    Site Admin

I vacuum the bath area for each time my cat uses the LK. I hate to walk on litter barefoot.
    Old July 27th 2010, 03:06 PM
    Site Admin

Default Cleaning up - it's hard work

We just adopted Ron, he is 2 year old male who was a rehabilitated stray and only just desexed. He is very fussy about dirty kitty litter and we have to clean up #2 as soon as he goes. He also digs and flicks lots of litter out of the LK. If there is any litter on the floor, even just a few grains, he pees on it. So I started leaving a dust pan and broom in the bathroom to clean up any spills asap. But now he pees in the dust pan! yesterday I shut the dust pan in the shower cubicle so that he couldn't get to it, but he climbed over the top of the shower stall to get into the dust pan.

I really appreciate the posts that say it will get better.
    Old July 27th 2010, 05:22 PM
    Site Admin

Mandy! We all have little over-enthusiastic diggers until the last stage and, in fact, well beyond that. Cats LOVE to dig My furries also dig for China, as KatnGiz said, and I battle with leftovers from their furious scratching with dustpan and broom. It's in the bathroom permanently and even now being on the Amber stage I clean bathroom 4x day... more often over the weekends. It's something you get used to in the beginning but then it gets easier.
    Old July 27th 2010, 11:48 PM
    Site Admin

Charlie loves to dig too. I'm constantly cleaning up after him. Good thing is, when he starts digging, I know I have a couple of minutes to get to him before he actually goes.
    Old August 11th 2010, 01:46 AM
    Site Admin

Default Litter everywhere

I had the same problem Day 1 (red) because they have to have litter, taking away the litter is not an option at this stage. I placed about 1 1/2in (width) blue paint tape along the edge of the white tray which formed a lip and with the seat down, it created a great barrier because the tape came up just high enough to be flush with the toilet seat and didn't bother the cats at all.