• Back to Homepage
  • Doogie's LITTER KWITTER Forums - The Place for Cat Toilet Training  
    Old May 1st 2008, 04:29 AM
    Site Admin

Question What to clean the Litter Kwitter with??

Hi! I'm getting a kitten in a few weeks and have bought a Litter Kwitter in preparation for her arrival, but I just wanted to know what products I should use to clean the Litter Kwitter with? I've read that some cleaning products will make the cat not want to use the tray you provide due to the smell, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on brands or things I should look out for?

Any help that you can give me would be much appreciated, thanks!
    Old May 7th 2008, 08:16 AM
    Site Admin

Hi , sorry i haven't got the answer as i too would like to know what i should clean the L Kwitter ??? also what i can clean the toilet bowl with once we have got to that stage ??? My Maine Coon kitten arrives next week so i am hoping for some replies pretty soon, lets hope someone out there can help us!
    Old May 8th 2008, 06:19 AM
    Site Admin

Many people only clean their litter kwitter with enzymatic cleaners because cats can be kind of fussy. Really, the trick is to find what works for you.

When we started, I only ever wiped the "dirty" areas down with a paper towel that had been sprayed with a bit of windex. The cats didn't seem to mind this. Eventually I got lazier and started buying clorox wet wipes, and the cats don't seem to mind that, either.

Before I started reading these forums and realizing the importance of cleaning the carpets and other mess-spots with enzymatic cleaner, I used to clean the accident locations with a nicely-scented "simple solution" that I got from my pet store. (It's what we always used for cleaning up after my dog growing up, so I figured it'd work here, too.) No luck!! If anything, my cats seemed MORE interested in peeing over spots where I had used that cleaner...so then I realized when they were a little reluctant on the amber stage, that cleaning it with the simple solution might ENCOURAGE them to pee on the LK. It seemed to work - and I've taken an enzymatic cleaner to my problem carpet spots and it has helped IMMENSELY.

All of the cleaning ideas related above were in reference to the cleanup that follows each individual bowel movement. About once a week (or much longer after they start going through the hole!), I would clean out the entire disc with regular dish soap and hot water.

Unfortunately, every cat is different and will have some preference regarding what they want the LK to be cleaned with, so I can't give you a straight answer. I've presented what has worked for me...hopefully you'll find something (on the first try!) that your cat does not abhor!

Good luck!