• Back to Homepage
  • Doogie's LITTER KWITTER Forums - The Place for Cat Toilet Training  
    Old January 27th 2008, 01:14 AM
    Site Admin

Question Update: Drinking & playing in toilet when there is poop & pee in the toilet! Help!

My boy loves to drink the toilet water and play in it even when there is unflushed pee and poop in the toilet! He's completely toilet trained (i am very happy about that, he was completely trained within a month despite the fact that we moved 3 times, and he had to learn on 3 different toilets during that month) but the fact that he does his icky business in the toilet does not seem to deter him from drinking out of it even though there is a poop sitting right in the toilet and the water will be yellow with his own pee!

I have one of those automatic fountains so he does have access to very fresh, flowing water so why would he drink out of the place where he eliminates when he has clean options for water elsewhere?

I thought of putting that bitter spray stuff in the toilet water so it tastes bitter to him, do you think that would hurt him? It says it's safe for cats, dogs, and horses, and I used it for my dog when he was younger and would chew things. Any other ideas? I'm beyond grossed out when he goes from drinking and having his paws in the toilet to jumping on my bed....

Last edited by chaoran22 : January 31st 2008 at 04:48 AM. Reason: update - situation's gotten worse....
    Old January 29th 2008, 05:18 AM
    Site Admin

assuming your cat always has access to fresh water, your cat must either be attracted to the toilet water b/c it is aerated when flushed or because it is cold. since your cat has access to aerated water from his drinking fountain, my guess is he likes cold water. try putting ice cubes in his drinking fountain from time to time to see if that will attract him. if that doesn't work, try switching to a fountain with better aeration. i have the drinkwell fountain for my little one. she stopped drinking from the toilet when i got that for her.

as a last resort, you can pour a little white vinegar or pine-sol into the toilet bowl after flushing. i have heard that cats hate the smell of pine. of course, if your cat still insists on drinking from the toilet, you should stop immediately so you don't poison him.

cats have a very sharp sense of smell. if the water in a newly flushed toilet was dirty, i'm sure your cat wouldn't drink it. i know it's gross to know that he is drinking from the same place everyone, including himself, is eliminating in, but i think it is even more gross knowing that dirty litter is being tracked all over your house.

so if none of the above works, just be happy he is toilet trained.

Last edited by jwang018 : January 29th 2008 at 05:24 AM.
    Old January 31st 2008, 04:45 AM
    Site Admin

new development - milo is drinking the water when there is pee in it and playing in it when there is poop. the other day he peed and i was busy in the kitchen and was going to flush it after i was done making food and i hear drinking and i run in there and he's drinking from it when there is clearly pee in there (enough that the water was obviously yellow!). and just now my boyfriend called me saying he saw him playing in the toilet and when he went to chase him away, he saw that milo had actually pooped in there - so he was playing in toilet water when there was a poop sitting on the bottom of the bowl. i try to flush now as soon as he goes but i'm not home all day so i can't do it all the time. is there something wrong with him? this is exactly the opposite of what i thought cats are supposed to be like - never would i imagine any creature (much less a cat who's supposed to be fastidious) drinking and playing in water that had waste in it. could there be something wrong with his nose? i will try the pine-sol when i can be home to watch him so he doesn't drink it with the pine-sol in it to see if it keeps him from drinking it. i also do not want him walking around with those paws that have touched pee and poo water all over my apartment (it's unbearably disgusting to think about plus i'm afraid my dog will smell it on the floors or someplace and think it's ok to go in the house).
    Old January 31st 2008, 04:55 AM
    Site Admin

is there something that he will hate the taste of in the water? i'm a little scared to do the pine-sol or vinegar because the smell is so strong that i'm afraid he will avoid the toilet altogether - i still want him to use the toilet, i just don't want him to drink from it so is there something that won't smell to strong but taste really bad? i just ordered a few bottles of the bitter apple spray that i will pour in the toilet, it's hard to know how much to put in but hopefully that will help. any other ideas? i'm so desperate!
    Old January 31st 2008, 08:05 AM
    Site Admin

try a teaspoon of white vinegar first. the smell shouldn't be that strong. if milo decides he still wants to drink the toilet water, at least it will not poison him.

cat also do not like the smell of citrus. a non-toxic citrus based air freshener or deodorizer might work. try spraying inside the toilet bowl.
    Old February 1st 2008, 06:59 AM
    Site Admin

Angry Toilet water.

As far as I can tell, the water your cat's playing in is fresh. Even though it's got elimination in it. The elimination is heaveier than water, and it sinks to the bottm of the bowl.

All of our cats are smart and intelligent. If it were filthy dirty, they wouldn't bother to try. If our cats haven't taugt us anymre than that, they are clean and picky in this whole process.

I would say if the bowl is completly saturated with color, then it is dirty. But, if it's all sinking in the bottom and there is a definite division between then I'm fairly certain they aren't hurting anything.

To us it's a nusance, and horror, but to the cat is't refreshing, and an easy way to amuse themselves for a while. Like a fish tank, most cats will play with the fish in it, but won't drink the water.

Cats also seem to go through phases, for a while they will pay great attention to the toilet. (You have probably had the seat down for much of their life up to now.) This is a new toy for them, they will play often and will play for hours. Then they'll get bored, and find something else to amuse themselves with. This will pass as well, until they remember the toilet again.

Rest assured, it's gross to us, and we don't like it, but they have already proven to us, that if it's dirty, they won't go near it.
    Old February 11th 2008, 03:10 PM
    Site Admin

well - he does actually drink it when it's dirty, as i mentioned, he drinks it when the water is clearly yellow from pee so it's definitely dirty. i think there might be something wrong with him and will mention it to the vet when we see her next. i do hope you're right about it being a phase - he has had many strange phases that have come and went so hopefully this is one of them. as an update for anyone else who might be having the problem - jwang was very right about using vinegar. white or apple cider have worked for us - i prefer white because it doesn't make the toilet look yellow. i've been using half a cup but want to try and decrease it as we've gone through almost a gallon of vinegar in the past week and a half so we can't keep that up. I will try a couple of teaspoons and see if that works as well as the half a cup in keeping him from wanting to drink it. he is still going in the toilet very reliably so it's not scaring him away from the toilet which is good. it is a huge pain though to have to remember to put it in every time we flush the toilet...so i'm still hoping this is just a phase he'll grow out of. as for now, the one time i forgot to put vinegar in, he was in there drinking again so he hasn't grown out of it yet....

so right now - vinegar is a great, relatively cheap solution to this and still preferable to going back to a litterbox if we can use a bit less than we are right now.
    Old February 12th 2008, 04:20 AM
    Site Admin

Default Mine does too!

My cat (six months old) started doing the same thing when I switched to the green disc. It was really, really gross and no, the water was definitely not clean, or "layered," when she did it. I decided I had moved her along too quickly and returned to the orange disc.

She's fascinated with the toilet as well as the sinks/tub/shower.
    I have had to keep water in all the sinks in the house, including the kitchen sink, and the tub, to keep her from peeing in them (which behaviour, believe it or not, started even before I got the LitterKwitter. Now she drinks out of all of them and runs into the bathroom when she hears me washing my hands because she knows there will be fresh, cold water in the sink in a sec. I think in another life my cat must have been a plumber.

Thanks for the vinegar tip; I'm going to try it. I already use vinegar (in a spray bottle) to clean up "accidents" and it does prevent her from going in the same place again.
    Old February 12th 2008, 10:48 AM
    Site Admin

chaoran22-
    glad the vinegar tip is working for you. vinegar has a strong smell. i bet just a few teaspoons will work.
    Old February 12th 2008, 01:33 PM
    Site Admin

Topper, I like your suggestion of using vinegar to cover up the smell of "accidents". I will give it a go and let you know how I go.