• Back to Homepage
  • Doogie's LITTER KWITTER Forums - The Place for Cat Toilet Training  
    Old June 1st 2006, 06:07 PM
    Site Admin

Default Confused

[N.B: Originally posted by: Saffy1. 19 Jan 06 3:11 PM (N/A)]
    Help...my two kittens Audrey 8 months and Milly 4 months will quite happily use the red stage while I am away at work and at night time after I have gone to bed, but as soon as I come home from work they then do their business behind the t.v, in a shopping bag, or in my clothes. Why are they waiting until I get home to refuse the LK?
    Old June 1st 2006, 06:08 PM
    Site Admin

Default Training Kittens

[N.B: Original Reply by Katrinas Mom Re: Posted: 20 Jan 06 8:40 AM (United States)]

Kittens like young children get distracted by things and sometimes lose their focus on their potty efforts. Everyone with children knows that a 3-4 year old will still have any "accident", although rarely, even after they are on their own with their potty for the most part.
    I have trained 4 cats and find it easier to keep them limited to the bathroom while I'm away from home. Sure, it's a smaller space, but they are smaller than us and it's all relative. You might try this. Also a good cat treat once in a while, after catching them in the act of good behavior, will go a long way towards friendship and potty training.
    Old June 1st 2006, 06:09 PM
    Site Admin

Default Training Kittens

[N.B: Original Reply by Sanning Posted: 20 Jan 06 12:15 PM (Australia)]

You make a really good point about kittens' lack of focus.
    My husband is threatening to give up the LK as our 10 month old Blue Russian (I hear they are not reputed to be the easist cats to train) seems to make great progress then go totally off the idea, pooing in the bedroom, the bathroom, the kitchen....panicking me into going back a stage, when perhaps all that's needed is reminders of what's needed i.e. by restricting to the bathroom. (Although we work 8 hours a day, I think this might be a little long!)
    Our cat managed to get to the green stage, but we're currently trying to pursude him to use orange again, which he's refused to do for defacating. This morning I was greeted with a horrid mess on the bathroom floor, for which I was giving him the cold shoulder, as advised by Jo, and while cleaning it up, he jumps on the LK, positions himself perfectly and wees through the hole! I too am confused by my fussy cat - I think he is trying to tell me he is on poo-strike.
    Sophie
    Old June 1st 2006, 06:10 PM
    Site Admin

Default Training Kittens

[N.B: Original Reply by Jo Posted: 21 Jan 06 9:23 AM (Australia)]
    Hi Jo here,
    Go back to Dr. Jo Righetti training tips under "Troubleshooting". It's important not to introduce to many to-ing or fro-ing between discs. One or two poo's on the Amber is not sufficient to progress to the Green disc. Your cat must be going on any given stage for a) a min of 2 weeks & b) as if it were 2nd nature.
    Your going to have to get things calm & settled again. The best way to do this is go back to the stage where you remember your cat was using the LK with ease. Then just leave him at this stage for a while say 1 month. Your also going to have to clean the soiled areas with an Enzymatic pet cleaner. This distroys the bacteria that manufactures the odour which invites puss back to the same spot.
    Lavender is very claming for cats. Pick some from the garden or grow some!
    Hope this helps.
    p.s I can sympathise with your husband's protestations. However it is simply putting you & puss under more stress. If he is not participating in the training best not to highlight any accidents to him. In my experience I found it only invites critisism which then inflames the situation even more!