• Back to Homepage
  • Doogie's LITTER KWITTER Forums - The Place for Cat Toilet Training  
    Old June 1st 2012, 10:47 AM
    Site Admin

Default Day two

Marley- 4 years old
    Salem - 7 years old

so far 4 pees, no poop. The litter kwitter is still on the floor, they are fine jumping up on the toilet, but aren't interested in using the LK until it's on the floor. Marley has good aim, right in the middle, and doesn't seem to mind the change very much. Salem is a different story. She doesn't like the change, and has horrible aim. She sits in the middle hangs her butt off the edge and pees on the floor. After about an hour of complaining and general bad behaviour she finally peed. She waited until I was on the phone and too busy to get in there and scoot her into a better position. All over the floor again. sigh. I'm glad she went, but it's far from ideal

Maybe aim will improve once the LK is on the toilet. I can already see this is going to be a long road.

Last edited by Marley and Salem : June 1st 2012 at 10:49 AM.
    Old June 1st 2012, 12:29 PM
    Site Admin

Try chucking a book underneath to raise it up slightly, then Salem may get her positioning better. Just make sure it's a big book (ie, wide. Not thick) and only about 2 cm thick. Oh. And make sure it's a book you're not too fond off and cover in a big plastic bag (or maybe do a couple of magazines).

My advice would be to not mess with her too much. Older cats are set in their ways (like people really). I know it sucks to clean up pee every time, but if she's used to peeing on her own she's gonna get pissed off when you're messing with her and find other places to pee. Trust me, it's better to clean up pee when you know where it is than it is to come across a pool of it at a later date...

And my one main piece of advice. TREATS. AND LOTS OF THEM. My cats only get their treats when they're sitting on the toilet. I found that really easy to train them to jump up on to the toilet, but every cat is different.
    Old June 2nd 2012, 08:21 PM
    Site Admin

The LK is pretty small and when it's on the floor many cats are not good at aiming, it usually gets better when it's on the toilet. As long as the cats are trying to go in the LK, but just missing I think it's ok, if the cats choose to go other places, then I would call it an accident...Many people have put puppy pads under the LK since the pee might leak between the red and the white part. lozza2442's idea is also good! Give treats and don't reposition your cats... Good luck
    Old June 12th 2012, 03:00 PM
    Site Admin

Default week 2

thanks for the replies.
    Right now about 90% of the business is being done in the LK (every pee, most poops). We've had some bumps along the way, but I think I have figured out what their issue is. They don't love the new litter, but we are working on a compromise. I will sprinkle a bit of their old litter on top, if they will stop pooping on the floor. We have moved on to the intermediate orange ring- that fixed the positioning issue. Salem can't sit in the middle if there is a hole there. I will remember the book trick if she reverts back a step.

Luckily they are more than willing to do anything for cat treats. The cats are no stranger to learning new things. So far they play fetch, open doors and ring a bell to go out on the patio. You'd think using a toilet wouldn't be that hard!

Last edited by Marley and Salem : June 12th 2012 at 03:03 PM.
    Old June 12th 2012, 04:25 PM
    Site Admin

Many smart cats have trouble with toilet training, I don't think cats have accidents because they don't understand what they are supposed to do - sometimes they just don't want to....We are not teaching them a trick, but a new habit and that takes time

Did you start them on the new litter by mixing it with the old, starting with most of the old litter and then adding more and more of the new? If not, that is the way to go...If they still don't like the litter, maybe you could find another flushable litter - it's important that it seems pretty similar to the one they were using before. I really struggled using crystal litter when they were used to clay - I had no other choice in this country and they did get kind of used to it after a while, but never loved it...

Last edited by Norwegiangirl85 : June 12th 2012 at 04:29 PM.