• Back to Homepage
  • Doogie's LITTER KWITTER Forums - The Place for Cat Toilet Training  
    Old April 9th 2012, 11:16 PM
    Site Admin

Default Issue: cat won't hop on the toilet

Hello, I have a couple of young cats, Stella (2 yo) and Neo (9 months), both neutered.

We started with the Litter Kwitter some months ago, and it all went perfect until we started with the orange stage. Stella started pooping and peeing on the floor.

We switched back to the red Stage: It all went back to normal, both cats used the LK on top of the toilet until one day, when Stella started peeing and pooping on the floor again, so we decided to put the LK on the floor, with the red disk. They've been using it for some time with no problems.

We decided to buy the Multikatkit and start again placing the LK on top of the toilet, but the problem is that Stella is unable/unwilling to use it! The younger cat, Neo, is able to use it with no issues whatsoever, but Stella only likes it if I put it down on the floor again. How can I change her behaviour? I've tried putting her on the LK, but meows and flees, tried with treats too, but it isn't working.
    Any advice?
    Old May 8th 2012, 05:09 PM
    Site Admin

Sorry noone has answered your questions, I never had that problem - but I know many have had...I think you should use some boxes or phonebooks to slowely take the LK higher up from the floor, it's important that it's stable so the cats feel secure - also give them something to stand on so it's easy to get up there...Hopefully the ones with the same problems will share with you what they have done, or you can search the forum. If I get some time I will try to find some threads about the subject for you...

Keep us posted!
    Old June 3rd 2012, 10:44 PM
    Site Admin

Update!

I haven't checked in here for a while, but I'm glad someone answered.

I did indeed some research across the forum and, in the end, proceeded as you suggested. I found some cardboard boxes that had the same size as the litter kwitter and were about 13 cm tall (about 5 "), so we advised a clever "step-by-step" method to raise the LK. We spent a month with it, starting with one box and ending up with three (four boxes is almost the toilet bowl's height).

The boxes were covered in duct tape, just to make them "waterproof". A couple of days ago, we finally placed the LK on the toilet bowl. The younger cat had no problem, and the older cat had a couple of accidents, but, so far, so good. We're trying to keep it as clean as possible, so that hopefully she finds it nice and comfortable.

I had to perform the so-called Potty dance a couple of times (she complained a lot), but I think she will get used to it. Let's cross fingers!
    Old June 10th 2012, 04:30 AM
    Site Admin

Sounds like it's going well, good luck
    Old June 15th 2012, 05:26 PM
    Site Admin

I have the problem that both of my cats (both 1 year and 3 months) avoid to hop on the toilet while the litter kwitter works perfectly for both of them on the ground...