• Back to Homepage
  • Doogie's LITTER KWITTER Forums - The Place for Cat Toilet Training  
    Old February 24th 2012, 01:31 AM
    Site Admin

Unhappy Only poops when placed

My 11 month old cat was fine on red and amber ring but will now only pee in toilet on green. He wines to be placed on toilet for poops but if left alone he poops on kitchen rugs, bathroom rugs, or futon. He was originally going poop on toilet just fine and I was reinforcing with treats. Maybe he wants a witness to receive treats? Now only rewarding him if he goes on toilet on his own which doesn't seem to be working. Help????
    Old February 26th 2012, 07:38 PM
    Site Admin

Remove everything soft from the floors and keep the bedroom door closed, that might be enough to help him back on the toilet, if not - go back to amber for a while to calm him down
    Old March 6th 2012, 02:01 AM
    Site Admin

My cat does the same thing. He will walk around and lie down in places and meow/whine. At this point, I usually take him to the toilet and he will start pooping. When he does this though, it's usually right before he's about to poop right there on the spot. :S

I don't know what to do to encourage him to use the toilet more, I already give him treats after each successful toilet use. He seems to have no problems going to pee in the toilet, but he holds his poop often for a whole day or so before we have to go through this process.
    Old March 11th 2012, 08:54 PM
    Site Admin

Are you also on green stage? How was he on the other stages? If he holds it very long he may be constipated and you may need to do something about that to make him go back on the LK. If you can get your hands on some canned pumpkin, you should put it in his food
    Old May 14th 2012, 12:16 AM
    Site Admin

Default Green Wall

I'll start by saying this forum has been great at relieving the anxiety we are feeling now that we have hit the green wall.

We have successfully trained two cats (boy and girl) on the LK. We arrived at the green stage after double the alotted time so there was no rushing. The green stage went on for a few months as we wanted to make sure the cats were trained completely. We were about to remove the LQ and then all of a sudden one cat was pooped on the floor. Unfortunately it was in a spot where they pooped when they first arrived 10 months ago. We didn't think too much of it and kept going but then the poops landed on our guest bed, then our bed - OMG!!!

We locked them out of rooms, used pans of water but nothing seemed to work. They both peeed in the LQ slowly but surely they both began to poop outside the LQ after doing it flawlessly for months We cleaned all surfaced in accordance with forum recommendations and attempted to break the new habits to no avail. We even considered scrapping the LQ and going back to the box. I decided to read the forums again and have no decided to go back to the amber stage and see what happens.

If you have any further suggestions please let me know and thanks for the support.
    Old May 14th 2012, 04:19 AM
    Site Admin

Default had this problem too

when this happened to us we cleaned the spot where he pooed very thoroughly and made sure to use a cleaner that would mask the smell. we regrettably went back a stage and he was fine after that. We bought the extra intermediate steps so going back a step really only meant going back a half step.

We also took to supervising his bathroom activities at all times. Easy for us to do since there is always someone home.

Sometime I can tell by his meow that he wants to poo but is anxious or stressed. So I have to close the door to the bathroom and sit in there with him and calm him down first. it sometimes takes a lot of patience and a gentle touch. Don't appear visibly frustrated. Give him lots of praise and encouragement. Also make sure he has nothing to distract him. Keep him focused on the task. Remember he wants to poo as much as you want him to.
    Old May 14th 2012, 06:58 AM
    Site Admin

Default thanks

for the record those cleaners that are supposed to enzamatically clean the stain do not work unless you consider working being a target for the cats to drop on. We have had 5 poo areas and have used TONS of the cleaner to no avial.

We have gone back to the amber stage so we'll see how it goes. I am hoping the problem is rectified quickly. Training the cats is fun and rewarding but you have to be around all the time and this borders on what is takes to care for a dog
    Old May 20th 2012, 08:15 PM
    Site Admin

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    for the record those cleaners that are supposed to enzamatically clean the stain do not work unless you consider working being a target for the cats to drop on. We have had 5 poo areas and have used TONS of the cleaner to no avial.
    The enzymatic cleaners (Urine off, Pisst off and so on) works to remove the urine scent. Many cats go back to the same spot becuase normal cleaners don't remove the urine scent and if they do smell urine they think it's a safe place to go since they can smell that they have been there before and survived. Even if the cleaners works to remove the urine scent, the cats may still have accidents in the same spot just because they like that spot - especially soft places are very comfortable to go on because they can cover their buisness. I recommend either to remove the soft things, block them with something or use a keep off spray or orange peel...