• Back to Homepage
  • Doogie's LITTER KWITTER Forums - The Place for Cat Toilet Training  
    Old February 15th 2012, 07:37 AM
    Site Admin

Unhappy Green stage - Pooping on the floor

All had been going really well with Meeshka, we even got to the green stage and for nearly 2 weeks she was peeing and pooping in the toilet with NO problems....

Then all of a sudden... she's started pooping on the floor... she still pee's in the toilet with NO problems at all... positioning and everything is perfect... BUT why is she doing her poop's on the floor???

I got her to the green stage about 2 weeks before I started back at work and she was doing so well and there are only 2 days a week where I am out for about 6 hours, the other days I am not out that long so it's not like she's lacking company...

Her routine of going in the morning has somehow gone out of wack too, she's mostly going at night now and I do the potty dance with her in the evenings, but she won't go, so I have to lock her in the bathroom when I go to bed (usually about 11pm, can't stay up any longer) and then of course I can't stop her from pooping on the floor... I have to lock her in the bathroom as I don't trust her not to poop on the carpet...

Any advice will be greatly appreciated - I don't understand why she's doing this...
    Old February 15th 2012, 11:28 PM
    Site Admin

I'd like to help you, but I am facing the same problem.

When we changed to green with a cardboard in it, at the beginning everything was so perfect. No problems no accidents. Then they started pooping on the floor, under the bathtub (and even in the sink) but continue peeing in the toilet. We blocked all these places, but they found other places. As a last attempt, we went back to amber stage and stayed there for a week or two. All was fine again. Then we switched back to green again. Same pattern... Fine for a week, now (since under the bathtub is blocked) pooping on the floor.

I watch them closely since I work from home. But they choose the times when I watch TV or cook or something when I can't hear them, and do their deed. I would live with this, if this is a transitional issue but I think not. and I don't know how more I could tell them that it is WRONG to poop on the floor and I want their poop floating in the oh-so-great waterland called the toilet!

Let me know if you find a way!
    Old February 15th 2012, 11:51 PM
    Site Admin

Default kitty pooping on floor

Hi all,
    I have to say I am relieved to hear so many others are having the same problem as me, but also disappointed no one seems to have a quick solution. My kitten had started out so well, to the point I dared think this was going to be easy. I think I jinxed myself. We made it to the green stage without incident, for 5 days on the green everything was working great, then he started pooping next to the toilet. If I'm around and he sees me he'll go on the toilet, but when I'm at work or not looking he's on the floor. I've put down contact paper, sticky side up, blocked areas, and sprayed the floor, I even went back to the amber stage. I read someone else put the red tray on the floor and never cleaned it...eventually the cat went back on the toilet. I'm going to try that. It seems to me to be psychological, but I'm not sure how to correct it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Old February 16th 2012, 02:49 AM
    Site Admin

I'm not sure the dirty red on the floor is a good option, it only seem to work for very few people...

I would recommend using a camera, either an ip cam, a babycall with a video monitor, a web cam (skype, icam) or something similar so you can watch and hear your cats even if you are not in the same room...Some people also use a driveway sensor alarm so they can hear the cats when they go in the bathroom or jump on the toilet since it's cheaper than a camera. I do love the camera though...

Here is some links for good products:

http://www.luvion.com/baby_monitors/grand_elite/

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/d...del=TL-SC4171G

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...W0RJ48JHXX8ZF8
    Old February 17th 2012, 07:33 PM
    Site Admin

Norwegian girl, you have a nice point, but do you think cameras will help in this case? If I am away, and when I come home, watch the surveillance tapes and see that one pooped on the floor, how will that help me correct their mistake? Because like we talked before, yelling at them and giving cold shoulders or putting them on the toilet at random times to show them where to go doesn't work. It'll just state the obvious fact that there is poop on the floor I mean, if they will behave only when I'm around and start pooping on the floor as soon as we are away, miss to flush or not there to check on them, then how am I supposed to leave them at home alone? Or do you think that if we continously catch them on act and place them in the toilet they will eventually learn to go to toilet without supervision? What I am worried about is they will just want assistance all the time, and as soon as we are absent they will just go to the floor.

I am actually quite scared of this: now for some reason for the last couple of days our cats do behave. But we didn't hear them once, and one wanted to poop right after the other. Since the toilet was not flushed, the other cat went straight to the floor. I hope soon they will be okay with that, otherwise it is impossible to just track them all the time and flush as soon as they poop when we start working outside from home.
    Old February 17th 2012, 08:09 PM
    Site Admin

Cool Update!!!! Success tonight

Thank you all for your advice, I'm not in a position to purchase a camera to check on her and then also I agree with the point of what about when I'm out...

Yesterday, I resorted to putting the "red disk" back in the toilet... She pee'd fine in the morning but no poop...

But tonight I was determined to wait in the toilet with Meeshka until she pooped... while I was in there with her I thought the place could actually smell a little better... it was starting to smell very much like cat pee and poop... SO I decided to mop the floor, but instead of floor cleaner I put in a little eucalyptus oil in the water...

As soon as I'd mopped, Meeshka positioned herself on the clean floor to poop - I scooped her up and put her on the toilet, she jumped down and I did the potty dance with her - well about 20 mins of the potty dance and she pooped in the toilet ALL 4 feet on the white rim and right through the green disk into the red one in the toilet... I praised her all the while and she did a very big one - I gave her a treat and cleaned out the red disk - very easy, tipped the contents in the toilet then scrubbed the disk with hot water and back in the toilet under the LK...

I'm going to leave the disk in there for a while and see how she goes... and, hey if she only EVER goes while using the green disk I'll be VERY happy...

The only thing I'm about now is when I praised her and picked her up to cuddle her she bit me very hard.... might be the "bengal trait"????
    Old February 19th 2012, 04:32 AM
    Site Admin

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bloodia View Post
    Norwegian girl, you have a nice point, but do you think cameras will help in this case? If I am away, and when I come home, watch the surveillance tapes and see that one pooped on the floor, how will that help me correct their mistake? Because like we talked before, yelling at them and giving cold shoulders or putting them on the toilet at random times to show them where to go doesn't work. It'll just state the obvious fact that there is poop on the floor I mean, if they will behave only when I'm around and start pooping on the floor as soon as we are away, miss to flush or not there to check on them, then how am I supposed to leave them at home alone? Or do you think that if we continously catch them on act and place them in the toilet they will eventually learn to go to toilet without supervision? What I am worried about is they will just want assistance all the time, and as soon as we are absent they will just go to the floor.

I am actually quite scared of this: now for some reason for the last couple of days our cats do behave. But we didn't hear them once, and one wanted to poop right after the other. Since the toilet was not flushed, the other cat went straight to the floor. I hope soon they will be okay with that, otherwise it is impossible to just track them all the time and flush as soon as they poop when we start working outside from home.
    Well, first of all - when you can tape whatever is going on you might learn alot from the behaviour that occurs. I do agree that it's not easy to change things when you are away from home so a schedule and the potty dance the same time everyday might help alot too. The camera is more helpful during the night, I wake up if they make sound in the bathroom and can go in there to either stop them from having an accident or give treats to both make them want to use the toilet and to understand that I always know what is going on in there even if I'm not there with them all the time. I think if you have one - two weeks where you can be at home and keep an eye on them trough the camera and keep them from having accidents, they will stop having them and start beeing trustable...That is my experience anyway. My cats still use the toilet when I'm away so they don't need me to be there to flush all the time.
    Old February 19th 2012, 04:42 AM
    Site Admin

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Meeshka View Post
    Thank you all for your advice, I'm not in a position to purchase a camera to check on her and then also I agree with the point of what about when I'm out...

Yesterday, I resorted to putting the "red disk" back in the toilet... She pee'd fine in the morning but no poop...

But tonight I was determined to wait in the toilet with Meeshka until she pooped... while I was in there with her I thought the place could actually smell a little better... it was starting to smell very much like cat pee and poop... SO I decided to mop the floor, but instead of floor cleaner I put in a little eucalyptus oil in the water...

As soon as I'd mopped, Meeshka positioned herself on the clean floor to poop - I scooped her up and put her on the toilet, she jumped down and I did the potty dance with her - well about 20 mins of the potty dance and she pooped in the toilet ALL 4 feet on the white rim and right through the green disk into the red one in the toilet... I praised her all the while and she did a very big one - I gave her a treat and cleaned out the red disk - very easy, tipped the contents in the toilet then scrubbed the disk with hot water and back in the toilet under the LK...

I'm going to leave the disk in there for a while and see how she goes... and, hey if she only EVER goes while using the green disk I'll be VERY happy...

The only thing I'm about now is when I praised her and picked her up to cuddle her she bit me very hard.... might be the "bengal trait"????
    Hmmm, but do you have an integrated web cam in your laptop, skype or something? The drieway alert thing is not expensive...It really helps, it's so stressful and uncomfortable having to sit in the bathroom for hours and hours...

I have heard that oils like that are toxic to cats, but they like the smell...I think it's a better idea to clean the floor with something they don't like and is not that dangerous, like vinegar...For some strange reason I remember that accidents often happened after I cleaned the floor, maybe they like it dirty, he he...Just kidding...

Miro has bitten me one time (I started bleeding), I told him no and tossed him in the shower and he hated it so much that he has never dared to do it again - he really respects me now. A one year old baby even pulled his tail and he didn't even try to bite - just made a "I'm in pain" sound, so I think he wouldn't bite anyone again unless they really hurt him. I think bengals are very stubborn and don't like to listen, but they need to learn to respect their owners. It's not an easy task for sure - but they are adorable cats
    Old February 19th 2012, 09:25 PM
    Site Admin

Default Green dilemma??

Yes, sitting in the bathroom for the past two days has been rather uncomfortable, and hot as there is no air-con in there and it's summer here...

I don't know how the webcam on the computer will help as I won't be in there to stop her????

I don't know what to do about the biting, if I hit her or throw her down, she just runs away and then bites me again next time... I have MANY scars from her biting and she usually draws blood...

I would love to trust her to go on her own, but I'm too afraid that she will use the carpet... so I have to go through this performance every night, hope it doesn't last for too long...

I noticed that there are a lot of other "green stage" posts... will check them out and see if there are any other suggestions....

Thanks again
    Old February 19th 2012, 09:46 PM
    Site Admin

Well, you would need to tape from the bathroom and watch on a different laptop/monitor in the room you are in so you will se when you need to be in there.

You are not supposed to hit her or throw her down, but you could scream when she bites you, take her by the neck and stare her in the eye - Rival cats try to out-stare each other to resolve conflicts. For me that really works, I only threw Miro in the shower and closed the doors on him once. The shower was on and he didn't like that. He would never try to bite me now. Is your cat very aggressive?, sounds like she might be...You shouldn't need to be afraid that your cat will attack you

Can you remove the carpet for a while?