• Back to Homepage
  • Doogie's LITTER KWITTER Forums - The Place for Cat Toilet Training  
    Old January 12th 2012, 03:34 PM
    Site Admin

Post Solution to protect floor

Hi,
    I have 3 cats, used to have 4, and they are all training. To stop them using the floor, I use old rectangular litter trays filled with half an inch of water. I place them so that there are paths to the loo and the sink. I got some spares from the $2 shop. It works well, they can't tip them up like a bowl.
    On the carpet, I use fairly large (maybe 10") plastic plant pots placed upside down, over the areas (usually they're black). I put them in a row if needed. I found they only went on the floor if the LK had already been used. Now, I wash the LK under hot water with a brush (but no cleaning products) between every single use, and they are happy with this.
    If they do go on the floor, I pay the cat no attention at all and show no reaction, I just clean up, then place a plastic pot upside down over the space (the holes in the base of the pot allow ventilation). They realise that this means it was the wrong place. Then I do something relaxing so that I won't feel stressed as I don't want to show negative behaviour to my cats, as it will not help.
    Hope this helps someone
    Old January 12th 2012, 04:17 PM
    Site Admin

Welcome to the forum, training three cats is not easy - but you seem to be the right person for this
    Old January 12th 2012, 11:34 PM
    Site Admin

Thank you I've read forums on and off over time, but I've never joined one before. If I make any mistakes please forgive me, and I hope you'll feel ok to give me advice on protocol etc. When I first started the LK, I found my boy needed lots of support. I spent hours sitting in the bathroom with him, just being there for company. I talked to him a lot, read, I did my hair, did facials, etc. It worked too. I only had to do this about 4-6 times, it's a while now, I forget. I found that if I washed my face, the running tap would make him need to go enough so that his nerves or anxiety about it were overcome. Then the ensuing lavish praise and attention encouraged him to go more easily each time. They have learned that the words "clean tray" mean that I've just cleaned their LK, and they will go and use it. My other girl, a fluffy tortoiseshell, is so private I never saw her learn. She just left donations in secret in the LK, always pristine. I assume she has coped with each stage as there are continued donations. I think I saw her on there once, and she was just done. The half burmese fluffy girl loves having a litter tray. She had been left outdoors for 9+ years with no bed, no toys, fed scraps or dog food. I had to teach her about toys and scratching posts. She prefers being indoors, and will come inside to use the LK. She has never messed. It's amazing. I do hope to have no litter one day. That would be great.
    Old January 15th 2012, 02:38 AM
    Site Admin

Sounds like you're doing really well, and have a brilliant relationship with your kitties. My little boy (who's just started on red) loves spoken encouragement before he'll go so I know all too well having sit on a cold bathroom floor having a chat with him until he wants to go.
    Good luck with your training, keep us updated! x
    Old May 17th 2012, 01:23 AM
    Site Admin

Default Mistakes in #2

My blue Burmese female , now 10, shares the loo with Roxy, my 5 year old lilac Burmese female. After very sucessful use for all purposes for nearly 5 years, my blue now uses the loo to urinate, but the floor next to the loo to defecate. Even if that means that after she has urinated, she then gets off the loo to defecate in the same action. Although 10, she has no problem hopping up, and jumps 3.5' or so, to sit in the sunny high window. Even tried putting a step up for her next to the loo, to help in that respect. She just hopped over it and pooped on the far side, again on the floor. Curious thing is nothing changed, ...not diet, not privacy, not cleanliness, not even a frsh coat of paint. She shares the loo in the same way she always has done with the lilac. Tried with door ajar, in case she wanted privacy, or with door fully open, in case she felt trapped with no exit. Still use bleach to mop the quarry tiled floor, no change. She was trying to use the bath, but a stop was put to that by leaving water in the bottom of it. There are no other accidents in the house anywhere. Odd thing though, sometimes she does get it spot on, without accidents, and poops and pees in the same action after a swift pawing of the seat, usually peeing first. ie. the same toilet seat for the entire period. Am open to suggestions. Please please!
    Old May 17th 2012, 02:06 AM
    Site Admin

Has your cat been toilet trained for 5 years or do you mean that he has never had accidents while using the litterbox, but now has problem when toilet training?

Bleach should not be used for cleaning, it's toxic to cats and it smells like urine for them...Try an enzymatic cleaner...
    Old May 17th 2012, 09:59 PM
    Site Admin

Well, both really... she never had accidents with a litter tray, and for 5 years of use of the actual toilet, no accidents there either.... until now. The use of bleach in a weak solution is not a new addition, so no real difference there. But the toxicity is duly noted. Thanks.
    Old May 20th 2012, 08:48 PM
    Site Admin

Cats are very sensitive to changes all around them, maybe there is something that you haven't even noticed that doesn't have anything to do with the toilet area...Or maybe your cat is constipated or sick - even if you have given the same food the cat may be constipated by it, try to put some canned pumpkin with the food to help with that. Does your cat eat grain free food?

When my cats had accidents I would set up a babycall with a videomonitor in the bathroom so I could watch them from other parts of my home and to tape them when I wasn't home - I also kept (still do this) a journal of when they use the toilet each time so I know when they need to go and try to be there to avoid accidents.