• Back to Homepage
  • Doogie's LITTER KWITTER Forums - The Place for Cat Toilet Training  
    Old April 6th 2012, 11:08 AM
    Site Admin

Talking Great Thread!!

You did a fantastic job putting all of this info together!!!

I was reading about the portable potty... am thinking of making one for Rocky.
    Old April 8th 2012, 04:20 AM
    Site Admin

Thank you so much!!! I did it both to help other people going trough a hard time or just need some guidance and for the selfish reason that I might be needing it myself if I get another cat one day

I would love to see a pic of it if you decide to make one and also hear how it works out for him. I would definetively recommend anyone reading more on the website/blog, the person who has made it has many good tips for toilet training, how to travel with a toilet trained cat and a video of each step on how to make a mock toilet.
    Old April 11th 2012, 08:18 AM
    Site Admin

I know the litter kwitter people say you should remove the litter tray the same moment you introduce the LK but imo it goes againts everything else they are saying.
    The more cats are used to something the slower you want to adapt them to new things.
    I myself kept the litter tray next to the LK which I had setup on the toilet from the start as an alternative. It gives the cats the ability to explore it themselves.
    I also reccomend that you let your cats in when you do your own business. they are curious creatures and learn from their surrondings. (If u let them climb around and jump up to watch what happens when u flush etc, once the amber stage is due they will already be aware of the fun stuff that happens in there, instead of being afraid as their safe zone has moved to a weird place making weird sounds not to mention the water.)
    If you have kittens you are more likely to have them adapt to what you want quicker then if they are older.
    Another thing I think is important is that you dont have to be there supervising them all the time if you start out with the tray availible, as they will start using the LK on their own terms.
    Old April 12th 2012, 04:38 PM
    Site Admin

If you had red "problems with the red stage" you would see that we don't always say to remove the litterbox at once, but explain how to slowely train the cat to get used to less litter and the red tray if the cat is a slow learner in the beginning. I do however believe that once the cat is using the red tray it should replace the litterbox, if the litterbox is still there the cat will usually chose it even if it's dirty, especially for poo. The other thing is that they will be looking for the litterbox and may have more accidents if they have the option to chose in the beginning and then remove the litterbox. I would rather recommend having the LK on the toilet and using the mock toilet aswell if anyone feel the need to use more than one "toilet". That way they are trained on both and still have an option to chose if one of the setups are dirty.

I totally agree with you that it's best to train the cats on a toilet you are using so they can learn from watching you. I have heard that cats trained on toilets the owner dosn't use usually are harder to train.

Thank you for your input, it's always good to have some fresh opinions
    Old June 21st 2012, 04:29 PM
    Site Admin

bump bump bump
    Old October 8th 2012, 05:20 AM
    Site Admin

Something I hope everyone could read: http://www.litterkwitter.com/forums/...ead.php?t=3610
    Old March 16th 2013, 12:53 AM
    Site Admin

I don't see anything in your list of links about wet vs dry food and would be interested to hear your take on it. I tried searching the forum but the search feature isn't very user friendly (it keeps asking me for 4 word terms, even if it's already 4 words...?) and I can't find anything by reading posts blindly.

I have a cat that is holding her poo for intermediate green but is going pee perfectly and am wondering if changing her to wet food would make a difference at all. More info in my thread titled "green stage help" if you want the long version.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Old March 28th 2013, 09:12 PM
    Site Admin

jhorn: Sorry for not answering before now, I have been very busy lately. Cats don't drink much water so wet food is definitively better for them than dry food to avoid constipation. The longer cats hold it in, the more constipated they can get - and when toilet training cats tend to hold in a little longer than usual. There is a lot of good info on cat food and their health on this web site: http://www.catinfo.org/

I'm not perfect and are not following all the advice since I do have three cats and can't afford to give them meat or wet food all the time, so I do give them dry food as well - but at least it is grain free

Last edited by Norwegiangirl85 : March 28th 2013 at 09:17 PM.
    Old September 18th 2013, 06:04 AM
    Site Admin

bumping to keep this great thread on page 1.
    Old October 20th 2013, 07:50 PM
    Site Admin

Thank you so much Kimberlyand