• Back to Homepage
  • Doogie's LITTER KWITTER Forums - The Place for Cat Toilet Training  
    Old June 17th 2011, 04:16 AM
    Site Admin

Red face How often should a cat pee/poop

Third time is the charm right? I used the other cat training kit on my Rag Doll, Rover, twice now (with a year break in between) He leaned quickly but after 6 months started doing his business on the floor. I purchased this kit because I could pull it back out if Rover started to slip.

Here is my problem: He is on the red stage and is using it for #1 and #2, but he is not doing his business enough (I think). He only pees once a day and poops every 3 days. He is not going anywhere else and does not seem to be effected by hold back. Is this normal? When should I be concerned?
    Old June 17th 2011, 05:57 AM
    Site Admin

How often did he use to go before training? My cats are very different; My bengal boy does #1 three times a day or more, he either does #2 once a day or everyother day. My birman boy does #1 once a day and has been holding it even longer a few times, he does #2 everyother day, sometimes he holds even longer. (Three or four days at the most I think, but that happens very rarly). My birman girl does #1 once a day and #2 once a day, sometimes she holds it longer. If you keep a schedual of when they pee and poo everyday you will se a pattern and then if you think he is holding it longer then usual you can do the potty dance. For poo you could also give him something against constipation so he has to go and he dosen't feel pain when he finally does it. If you need him to pee, give him some tuna water in his water bowl so he drinks more. I don't like it when they hold it too long for #1 because of UTI...
    Old June 17th 2011, 06:13 AM
    Site Admin

Default Each cat is different

My black bombay/american shorthair can hold it for up to two days, but once a day is normal. My Siamese will try and hold it until I am home, but he absolutley goes once per day and if the LK has any #1 in it...he will default to the nearby shower.

Just be sure to keep an eye out for constipation...it can be painful for kitty and reinforce a negative feelong about the LK
    Old June 17th 2011, 08:13 AM
    Site Admin

Thank you both for your replies, I feel better about his holding. It seems as if he would rather me not be around when he does his business. I'll walk him to the bathroom a several times a day, give him a treat when he jumps up but he doesn't do anything so I let him jump down and we try again later. However, if I leave for a few hours, or when I wake up, I find that he has done his business. I ususally can tell because he kicks litter all over the place, but the last 3 times, he unrolls a few feet of toilet paper - I wish I could video that.

I put chicken stock in his water, but he is not interrested. I though this would be a good way to get him to stop drinking out of the toilet bowl (not the same one he is training on), but he will not drink out of the bowl. Any hints on for this issue?

Thanks so much for your input, I was going to give up training because I thought that he was causing himself harm. I feel better now and not willing to give up.

Denise
    Old June 17th 2011, 05:31 PM
    Site Admin

You are very welcome, we are here for you during the training, we all need some extra positive input sometimes to keep us going

Two of my cats don't like to go so much when I'm there either, I remember when I started to videotape them in the bathroom...Just minutes after I left them alone Yedi(My birman boy peed in the toilet), that happend all the time. Now, somtimes he does it when I'm there and sometimes on his own. I think they do it because either they are very private or they don't like us constantly bothering them while on the toilet...My other boy Miro(bengal boy) always want me to be there, especially for #2, if he does something on his own he waits on the toilet until I see him and give him a treat before he jumps down...I guess they are all different.

Have you tried tuna water instead of chicken stock? I bought something called Dental fresh that takes away bad breath for cats, you put it in their water. The lady in the pet shop said that all cats love it and it makes them drink more, I haven't seen any differnce yet, but it might work for you. One thing that helped mine drink more was buying stomax. It's actually for their stomach and is good for their digestion, mix a little bit in water and if they like it they will drink more. Both of my birmans love it, but not my bengal...

http://www.thewaterdish.com.sg/all-p...et-stomax.html

"Stomax contains healthy fibre that is important to the digestion. When your dog or cat eats sufficient fibre, intestinal movements are made more efficient and it becomes easier for the intestines to transport waste products out of the body. This is particularly important if the stomach is a little hard and motions are difficult. At the same time, these fibres are effective when defecation is looser than normal, because they absorb any excess liquid in the intestines"

Last edited by Norwegiangirl85 : June 17th 2011 at 05:35 PM.
    Old June 18th 2011, 04:23 AM
    Site Admin

Thumbs up Water with the wet food to make gravy

Hi,
    I had to add extra water to Rocky's food to avoid constipation. I add some warm water to the wet food and mix it up a bit to make a "gravy". He loves it! He usually laps up the gravy-water first, then eats his wet and dry food.

He goes #1 two to three times per day and #2 one time per day. In the beginning, sometimes he only went wee once per day. They are all funny in their habits, sometimes he waits for me on the stairs, then he shoots up to go wee, and get a treat. But, he will go if I'm not around... luckily.

Good luck with your training. Just remember, slow and steady wins the race. It took me 6 months.
    Old June 18th 2011, 05:43 AM
    Site Admin

Thanks for the tip I know he loves gravy so I will give that a try.

The training is going good too. Today makes week one. He is going both #1 and #2 in the center of the red tray. Maybe he already knew this from the first 2 attempts. Im going to leave him on this stage for 2 more weeks because I think that was my downfall the last 2 times I just pushed too fast, or maybe he is just a smart cat.

I really like this forum. I am a first time cat owner and have learned so much from all of you. Thanks
    Old June 18th 2011, 09:32 AM
    Site Admin

Default Perhaps try a cat fountain

One of my cats does not like still water (just in a bowl) so I got them a cat foutain the circulates the water and let's it dribble down. they both seem to love it and drink quite a bit. It does need to be cleaned every week or two but once you get it down it literally takes less tahn 15 minutes. some how the pump get full of cat hair.
    Old June 18th 2011, 11:22 AM
    Site Admin

Rover doesn't like the fountains. I think it has something to do with the cord??? He will follow the cord as it goes next to the refrigerator and paw at it and walk away. Plus, the noise was an issue for him and me.

I'm trying the floride oral care - so far no luck, but I will give it another day.

Thanks