• Back to Homepage
  • Doogie's LITTER KWITTER Forums - The Place for Cat Toilet Training  
    Old June 2nd 2011, 05:15 PM
    Site Admin

Smile Thinking of a new addition to the family..

Hi everyone,

I've got 1 cat who is about 18 months old and is perfectly trained using the toilet. I'm thinking about getting another cat and was wondering if anyone has had any experience in training a newcomer when the original cat is already trained?

Thanks heaps for your feedback in advance.
    Old July 3rd 2011, 12:20 AM
    Site Admin

I am in the same boat, have a 2.5 year old perfectly trained boy and am pondering a 14 week old kitten addition, so I would have to start from red all over.

I know if I pout the kwitter on the floor with the red tray and litter in it my trained cat will use it as well as the kitten, is this a problem? Is it better they go thru the stages together?

My boy was a very fast learner and was on green with almost no litter in about 9 weeks, we had a small set back when we moved and we put the green ring back on with a few grains of litter and he got it right away. The new house has a much higher water level in the toilet and he needed to get used to it.
    Old July 3rd 2011, 11:05 PM
    Site Admin

I started training a new kitten while my other cats were on amber, but I don't know how it would be with a fully trained cat. My cats wanted to use the red disk on the floor when they could choose so I think they would have to go trought it all over again...It might be easier to train them seperatly if you have more than one bathroom...

There is at least one person in here that started training a new cat when the other was finished. Here is a link to her story: http://www.litterkwitter.com/forums/...ead.php?t=2314
    Old July 13th 2011, 02:00 PM
    Site Admin

Thanks for that post, interesting stuff!!

We got the kitten a week ago and honestly he's such a great guy with no issues about the potty that he started on amber today!! Our older cat was not happy about the red disk and is much happier with the amber stage, the little one needed some encouragement but has used it every time since its been up. His foot placement is terrible, but honestly he is little and that is going to have to wait, at least now both of them can use it without a problem. The little one is also very food motivated and when he goes we give him a treat and our older guy comes rushing in whenever the kitty is on the toilet cause he knows treats will be forthcoming!! The little one has no issues with company when he is using the toilet so that is great.
    Old July 13th 2011, 02:04 PM
    Site Admin

I do find that in training in general you have to be really good at cleaning everything right away, I am not working at the moment and I clean the kwitter the moment I am aware there is anything in it. With a kitten it is pretty easy to time when he has to go based on when he gets fed and how he is acting, so most of the time I am in the bathroom when he goes and immediately clean the litter once he's done, I think this helps a great deal.
    Old July 14th 2011, 01:25 AM
    Site Admin

How long was your older cat trained before you got the kitten? I guess one time in the future when my cats get old i would like a new one and then I will have to do this all over again...I think it must be better to do it when one is already trained so the new one can learn from the old one and feel like this is normal...
    Old July 14th 2011, 01:29 AM
    Site Admin

Our older boy trained fast as well, he had been using the toilet about 2 years before we got the kitten.

He did go on the floor when we first moved because he coudln't positin himself the way he liked, water levels in the new place were VERY high and he couldn't put his feet where he liked. I slipped on the green ring and a few grains of litter and he was back to the toilet like a pro.

This morning I was able to position the little guy while pooping so it went down the hole, he seemed quite pleased and didn't fuss to cover it up like he does when he goes in the tray. Lots of treats and praise, then the big guy hopped up and showed him how it's done, lol. I think it helps having one trained, at least in my case.

We purposely got a kitten, I can't imagine trying to train an adult cat.
    Old July 14th 2011, 01:36 AM
    Site Admin

Tis is an account of our training with our older cat.

http://www.litterkwitter.com/forums/...ead.php?t=1209