• Back to Homepage
  • Doogie's LITTER KWITTER Forums - The Place for Cat Toilet Training  
    Old May 31st 2011, 10:20 PM
    Site Admin

Thanks - I'll set that up this weekend or maybe during the week if I can get to a hardware store Shall have to see if I can get my litter to stick properly as I use chick crumb but it sounds like a good move.

I'm in a great mood as the boys went straight back to the green disc when they got home from boarding. I ended up only leaving them their overnight so they had 32 hours with a litter tray all up. When they got home the prodigy (Freckle) jumped onto the tray and happily went, then started meowing the house down for a treat! I suspect that it didn't take them long to realise that going in the litter tray in boarding didn't get them anything nice...

In other good news after moving Bloo's paws time and time again he jumped up this morning and put all four paws on the white rim for a poop! He hasn't ever done that before without our assistance so he got quite a few treats. We also take away the green disc once they are in position with their feet to get them used to not having a disc so it was almost like being on the white.

Planning to get the husband to create a DIY green to white solution like I see others have used on this forum. That plus sticking the litter on feels like it could be a winner for us.

Thanks again for the great ideas
    Old July 12th 2011, 10:47 PM
    Site Admin

Default No litter

Well the good news is that we are litter free. Doesn't seem like much progress considering it's been a good six weeks, but it makes everything a lot easier. They have both used the toilet without the LK but they didn't like it so we aren't quite ready to get rid of it yet.

We've had visitors on and off for June, and now July and so far the boys are coping quite well. We have the seat down, over the LK with the green disc. At one stage I did get them down to about 2cm of black ducttape disc, but that was with litter and the seat up, so there have been some trade offs.

Freckle is perfect and has no problems what so ever. I watched him run to the toilet this morning, take a running jump on, scoot into position and pee. Then he bolted off to play some more He still needs to work on positioning, but at least you can trust him to not have an accident!

Bloo on the other hand likes to moan a bit and will hope to use the bathmat or the couch rather than the toilet if he thinks he can get away with it. If you watch him he wont, and he wont pee on the bed or on the carpet - just the two spots he has used before.

Part of the reason for this is because he often has wet paws and that causes him to slip on the seat! Paws can be wet for a lot of reasons - if he was in the bath, he was playing in the water fountain, he was digging in the toilet bowl etc. This is the main reason why we are using the green disc - to give him a bit of a lip on the disc so he doesn't slip right in

Should I put non-slip tape on the actual toilet seat to help him? It will have to be after the visitors have all left as I can't imagine my husband and I will like the non-slip tape much, let alone inflicting it on guests...
    Old July 13th 2011, 06:34 AM
    Site Admin

I think your boys are doing great, they learn fast and they were good after boarding Congrats on beeing litter free!!!

If he is using one side on particular you can put the non slip tape there instead of taping the entire toilet seat to your discomfort...If he is using that side after that it might be helpful, if he starts to use the other side he doesn't like the tape...It's worth a try...

Yedi is also like that, if there is something to dig on the floor he use it, but if it's not he use the toilet...
    Old July 19th 2011, 02:41 AM
    Site Admin

We'll the good news is that we haven't had any more accidents, although I stand at the bathroom door and make an alarm sound if my husband forgets to pick up the mat (every morning so far). The boys seem to have relaxed a bit without the constant stream of new people and having to wait for the toilet, but more visitors arrive next weekend...

The fantastic news is that we are looking at a new flat tonight and it has two bathrooms. The boys might get their very own toilet so that will make things so much easier! Considering we also want to introduce a little sister (or maybe sisters) to the boys this would be very helpful.

Non-slip tape has been purchased and will be added in August once the last of the visitors has gone. Bloo is still scratching at the water and wetting the seat thoroughly so he looks like he needs it.
    Old July 19th 2011, 03:42 AM
    Site Admin

Sounds good! Two bathroom's sounds awsome!!! Training 3- 4 cats though, sure you want to do that, he he . Have you tried to put vinegar or something else to deter him from "playing" in the water?
    Old July 20th 2011, 04:29 AM
    Site Admin

I'm not sure I'm up for kitten training but will take a few weeks off and see if we can get them aiming into the water. If yes, then we can keep at it while at work. I actually have hopes that my big boys will be great at demonstrating and a kitten would learn quickly, but I guess it's down to the actual cat. Also, the new addition will be a full sibling to the current boys (the breeder agreed to use the same parents!) so maybe the intelligence and, most importantly, the chilled/relaxed personality will be the same.

I haven't tried anything to discourage him more than a gentle "don't be silly Bloo! you don't need to scratch the water" and a quick stroke near his tail to get his attention back on the seat. I'll give vinegar a shot on the weekend when I can supervise him closely. He delights in jumping on the couch and scratching, but only in front of us we think! It's like he is snidely thumbing his nose at the LK.

Oh and a very cute moment last night. He had just been to the toilet and my husband didn't give him a treat. I called out and said Bloo deserved one, but he was refusing for some silly reason. So Bloo walked into the loungeroom, stood on his hind legs to tap my arm (I was staring at a computer screen) and let out the most cross, demanding meow I've heard from him in ages. Then he walked straight back to the bathroom and sat down on the toilet in position until I walked in and he jumped off and just stared at me. Treats were quickly given! Although we don't always treat, it seemed this time Bloo decided he deserved one!
    Old July 20th 2011, 08:33 AM
    Site Admin

I am currently training a new kitten (12 weeks or so) with a 2.5 year old fully trained cat. My older boy was trained for about 2 years without any issues when we got the kitten.

The kitten is most definitely learning from the big guy, however we went right from red on the floor to only a day or two of red on the toilet before we switched to amber as my older one was really annoyed at having both litter and no hole, LOL!!!!!

We are at amber and we will stay there a while as the kitten is still small enough to position himself fully on the tray and use the litter itself, not go down the hole. He lets me reposition him without a fuss, but as of yet hasn't gotten the right position on the LK himself. I know this can change with green, but I want to stay at amber for about 3 weeks before the switch, he is growing rapidly and I think will figure out the positioning soon. The tray gets mighty messy at times, and I am not working so I can monitor it well.
    Old July 20th 2011, 09:18 AM
    Site Admin

K337: Let's hope that they take after the older cat's

Yes, try the vinegar when you are at home to monitor...I think it's safe, but might be dangerous if you use too much...Search the forum and see what other people say about it...I think I read that a table spoon is OK, but I may remember wrong...

Sweet Bloo!!! Reminds me of my Miro, sometimes when I have seen the others use the toilet on the web cam and I come in the bathroom he is on the toilet looking very proud so I will think it was him and give a treat...Smart cats

skrim: Thank you for telling us that the kitten is learning from the older one and that the older one prefer the toilet from the litter, that is so good to hear When I started training my new kitten and the other cats were mastering the amber, I had to go back...But I didn't want the others to get used to the floor stage again, so I rushed it a bit myself...But it worked out in the end

You are lucky to not work during this training, it really gives a good advantage to be at home!!!