• Back to Homepage
  • Doogie's LITTER KWITTER Forums - The Place for Cat Toilet Training  
    Old May 2nd 2011, 07:40 AM
    Site Admin

Question Yes wonderful

So Stan, my year old tabby was doing fantastic. picked it up quick and made it to stage 3 in no time. it seems he has had a tough time going number 2 in the toilet assuming his poop is too hard. he knows hes suppose to go in the toilet but only does it when im home and can force him into it. my concern is with the plumber that just left my house... yes all my pipes backed up from the litter being flushed. so back to litter box we go. and ill be throwing the litter kwitter in the trash... unless of course someone knows of a flushable litter or more instruction on what should be done cause yes it saves money on litter but in return you may get a nice fat bill from roto rooter.
    Old May 2nd 2011, 07:56 AM
    Site Admin

What kind of litter did you use? Did you flush it all down the toilet everytime you cleaned the LK?

If he is constipated it might help giving him some olive oil or paraffinium liquid from the pharmacy...If the cat is constipated he might feel pain when he is on the toilet and might connect that negative feeling with the LK.

Last edited by Norwegiangirl85 : May 2nd 2011 at 08:00 AM.
    Old May 6th 2011, 09:53 AM
    Site Admin

Default sWheat Scoop is flushable

It is made of wheat and I've had no issues flushing. I would suggest the red ring or amber ring, where there is more litter space, for moving the kitties over to it. It can take several days of "mixed" litter to get an adjustment.
    Old May 6th 2011, 10:02 PM
    Site Admin

Gotta say, don't see how it's the LK's fault that you apparently used non flushable litter, but hey.
    Old May 25th 2011, 07:34 PM
    Site Admin

Default ...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kimura View Post
    Gotta say, don't see how it's the LK's fault that you apparently used non flushable litter, but hey.
    Thanks for your useful info Kimura but "gotta say"... I don't see anything apparent about any of the info you've been given.

That being said...

Ive read that materials for flushable cat litter include wheat starch, whole-kernel corn, processed corncobs, wood pulp, peanut shells, orange peels, and recycled paper. originally i was using "The worlds best cat litter" then because of last minute need for litter i purchased "Arm and Hammer Essentials nature" which is made of "Natural Biodegradable corn fibers" I also have looked online for other "flush-able" litters and when I've read the back of the bag for each at the store it states not to flush.

I don't usually clean the LK into the toilet tho Stan does knock litter into the toilet and if the trash is full i will just sometimes throw it in. if its flush-able i don't see why it would matter tho.
    Old May 30th 2011, 01:29 AM
    Site Admin

Default Flushable Litter

We started a couple weeks ago with LK. We bought Jonny Cat Litter Ultra and it is flushable! It says right on the container that it is flushable in residential plumbing systems that meet the residential plumbing codes, but it also cautions to flush after 2 scoops. We flush every time we clean the LK and so far so good. It would be a shame to give up on the LK but I don't blame you for being hesitant after paying a big bill for plumbing. Just wonder if what you used was less flush friendly than this Jonny Cat flushable litter.
    Old May 30th 2011, 08:12 AM
    Site Admin

Litters meant to be flushed will say "Flushable" on the bag, usually in big letters because it is a selling feature. We use Swheat Scoop, which is advertised as flushable, and have never had plumbing problems.
    Old May 31st 2011, 08:16 PM
    Site Admin

Arrow

Yeah, forgive my 'short' reply. I understand you're probably already in a bad mood due to the bill, and could do without snarky replies. I know people come here for advice, but I just found it very odd that your piping is all backed up if you've been using flushable litter - and from what you're claiming, hesitantly flushing too.

If you're actually using flushable stuff, then this flat out will not happen. It's why I'm so certain it's you, not the LK. :P

Most of us have been training for 6 months or more - that's a LOT of litter knocked down a toilet - and never had issues. Before Kimura was trained, he would literally scratch the entire amber tray of litter into the water three times a day - and we have never had a single problem. As Aurora said, most litters will clearly and proudly state on their bags whether they're flushable, as it's a good selling point for them. Don't go by your 'knowledge' of what a flushable litter 'SHOULD' contain. Buy the 'loud and proud' stuff.

Non-flushable cat litter, as you've learned the hard way, can and will VERY swiftly block your pipes - usually within a couple of days.

I quickly googled your litter type, and found this thread:
    http://www.litterbox-central.com/lit...ic1115-30.html

This post may be of interest to you.

"Arm & Hammer "High Performance" NOT flushable

Just bought this stuff at PetsMart today (it's now called "Essentials"). I opened the bag, gagged, and stapled it back up. It's goin' back to the store. Smells absolutely disgusting.

It's a definite disappointment because it's nice and soft and light. I think my cats might have liked the way it felt, and it's made of corn cob so it would have been safe for them to breathe/ingest. It is not, however, flushable, so you folks who've been flushing it might want to stop until you call A&H and ask them why their supposedly "natural" product is marked as not being flushable.

So, in short, the litter you chose was non flushable and clumping .. I guess the hardest mistakes are the ones we remember most. (And pay the most for!) Although this is offtopic, I wouldn't suggest swapping litter type mid-training either! I see you say it was an emergency, but still!

There are existing threads for what type of flushable litters some people use.. I'll find an example for you.

http://litterkwitter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693

Feel free to use the search function if there's nothing here that is available to you, as there's plenty more threads of that nature. Sounds like your cat was doing pretty well, so would be a shame to throw it in due to an unfortunate mistake on your part! Of course, if you've made your mind up about giving up, then that's fair play too.

Last edited by Kimura : May 31st 2011 at 08:47 PM.