• Back to Homepage
  • Doogie's LITTER KWITTER Forums - The Place for Cat Toilet Training  
    Old March 18th 2011, 09:34 PM
    Site Admin

Default Thinking of trying it.

Hi,

I have two cats and i am thinking of training them to use the toilet as im sick of bits of litter being dragged around the house.

I have been reading a bit on the forum and it seems the biggest problem is that cats occasionally go on the floor next to the toilet. Having not read the instruction manual yes (as i dont have one) im asking probably a basic question.

Would there be any harm in going straight to red disc on the pan and keeping the regular litter tray until they get the idea of using the one in the pan? I feel this may avoid the cat getting used to doing the toilet next to the toilet and only therefore learning to go on the toilet or in the regular try.

I think that removing a tray they have been used to for so long can only induce stress. i notice that if the regular tray is a little used as it tends to do so when you have multiple cats using the same tray and we both work full time. my older cat tends to let us know. So if i then give him a choice he may just opt to use the pan.

Thoughts?

Andy
    Old March 21st 2011, 05:35 AM
    Site Admin

Anyone????

Why does the message have to be 10 characters?
    Old March 21st 2011, 07:13 AM
    Site Admin

Andy,

I think the theory is that if you leave their old litter pan, they will not start to use the litter kwitter because you are giving them the choice to use what they are used to. What I did first was to put the red tray with litter in it inside of the litter box, and this helped with the transition.
    Old March 23rd 2011, 04:14 AM
    Site Admin

my only concern with the method is that the step which asks you to put the kwitter beside the toilet only teaches the cat that that is an area to be used as a toilet. I think that some folk have found this. So to me the logical step is to miss that phase and go straight to pan. The idea of the red tray inside the original litter tray sound like a plan. What about also throwing a little bit of used litter into the red pan when putting it on the toilet?
    Old March 23rd 2011, 11:07 AM
    Site Admin

sounds like a plan, every cat is different, so it doesn't hurt to try!

i think another reason to put it on the floor first is because the LK is much smaller than a normal litter box. that is a big change, plus making them jump up and balance when they are doing their business is double the big change.

good luck!