• Back to Homepage
  • Doogie's LITTER KWITTER Forums - The Place for Cat Toilet Training  
    Old February 2nd 2010, 03:55 AM
    Site Admin

Default What to do when cats Regress?

My cat had been successfully going on the Green Stage without accidents for a week. But just this weekend, she started pooping on the floor again.

Do I just go back a step? She had been doing so well!
    Old February 3rd 2010, 03:36 PM
    Site Admin

You could try investigating why she has suddenly developed an aversion to the green disk. If it is because you are reducing the litter, then try using more litter for awhile until using the green disk is more habitual to her. I would also recommend checking the cleanliness of the LK: as the disks get smaller, they require more frequent washing. As well, there may be something unpleasant to your cat somewhere in your bathroom that you don't realize needs cleaning up (perhaps there is some soiled litter fallen behind the toilet seat, etc). Ensure the entire bathroom, especially places she has had accidents on, is thoroughly cleaned with enzymatic cleaners.

Once you've investigated any reasons why she might be avoiding the LK, try to catch her mistakes before she makes them and transfer her to the LK if she starts to defecate on the floor. Lavishly praise and give her treats for successes. Be sure to check her foot positioning on the green disk - if she hasn't been sitting correctly perhaps she fell into the toilet one day and that's where the aversion came from.
    Old February 4th 2010, 03:38 AM
    Site Admin

Thanks for your help Aurora!

Does keeping the bathroom clean help with Litter Kwitter? I have heard conflicting information about this on the board.

I have read that when your cat makes an accident, you should not clean it immediately. Is this true in your experience?

My big problem seems to be that my 1 problem cat (the other is basically already trained) waits for me to go to work before pooping on the ground. What is the appropriate response when I come home from work to find that she's had another accident? I've tried the "cold shoulder treatment" but that doesn't seem to help.
    Old February 5th 2010, 06:06 AM
    Site Admin

I have read the same information about cleaning the bathroom, but my interpretation and experience is that the bathroom and the LitterKwitter should be kept immaculately clean (this is also stated in the instruction video that came with the LK). If we don't keep the bathroom and the LK clean, then to the cats (with their very sensitive noses) it is like asking them to use a disgusting public washroom at a pub!

In my experience, I believe it is best to keep their toileting area very clean. Nearly every accident my cats have had on training has been because the LK was not scooped out or wasn't washed. Once, when both my cats had been having great success for weeks and we hadn't changed anything or started a new stage, they both suddenly refused to use the LK. When I investigated I found an old piece of litter-covered feces had been flung behind the toilet at some point. Once I cleaned that up, they were both back to using the LK without problems.

If accidents start coming into the mix even with a clean bathroom area and LK, then perhaps it is time to start trying out the tips suggested in the forum about leaving the waste around for a couple days so that the clean LK seems like a better toileting alternative. I haven't tried this trick yet myself, but cat psychology-wise it does make sense.

On the days that you are not at work, try to catch your cat in the act of having an accident so that you can correct her right away and praise her for successes. The cold shoulder treatment works well on my cats, but only if they are caught in the act - otherwise, they don't understand or remember why they are being punished.
    Old February 5th 2010, 09:39 AM
    Site Admin

The cold shoulder treatment will only work if your cat knows what it is for. When you find an accident, bring your cat back to the site before cleaning it up and tell your cat "no" or "no good" in any angry or firm voice while holding your cat close to the accidents. Then follow by the cold shoulder treatment. In this case your cat will know why you are mad at her. This worked very well for my male cat but not my female cat!