• Back to Homepage
  • Doogie's LITTER KWITTER Forums - The Place for Cat Toilet Training  
    Old February 9th 2010, 12:59 AM
    Site Admin

I really enjoyed reading your diary
    Glad your kitties keep progressing with the LK!

I've only been training my three kittens for the past week, still on the first red disk.

Keep up the good / hard work
    Old February 9th 2010, 05:22 AM
    Site Admin

Thank you for the encouragement! Keeping a diary has really helped me figure out my cats' patterns and avoid some accidents. It is really rewarding to see the progress they are making too.

Good luck with your three kittens; I hope you keep the forums updated on your progress too!
    Old February 13th 2010, 04:07 AM
    Site Admin

Default Week 10

Friday February 5
    Accident-free day. We made a batch of homemade raw cat food tonight for the first time and will switch the cats to it over the next few days. Fry has a lot of soft stool and sometimes diarrhea on the canned food, so hopefully this will help. Overall, a raw diet will be much healthier for them and should also result in fewer stools for both of them. I write about homemade cat food here: http://booksandthelike.wordpress.com...made-cat-food/

Saturday February 6
    With the bathtub full of water, Fry has gotten much better at heading only to the LK when he has to go, although tonight he was scratching on the bed when I was about to get in it! I took him to the LK where he scratched around, but he didn't go until the next morning.

Sunday February 7
    Majel got into a bag of kitty treats when a cupboard was left open and she and Fry ate the whole bag! They were both up all night running around, drinking a lot of water, and using the LK in the middle of the night which is very rare for them these days. Both my boyfriend and I were woken up to scoop duty in the wee hours.

Monday February 8
    Accident-free day. I washed down the whole bathroom today with vinegar and hot water - soooo much litter ends up behind the toilet.

Tuesday February 9
    Accident-free day. Majel has great form when defecating (3 paws on the rim), but she continues to put all 4 paws in the litter totally splayed out and squats when she urinates. Not only is this bad form for moving onto the next disk, but it also means she constantly gets urine all over the fur on her butt which then drips onto the rim and all around the bathroom. I am going to start training her to change her form.

Wednesday February 10
    The raw food diet is doing wonders for Fry: he used to defecate soft liquidy stools 2-3 times a day, but now it's down to one formed stool per day. Majel, however, did not defecate all day.

Thursday February 11
    Accident-free day, but Majel still has not defecated since February 9. Fry did not defecate today.

Majel puts none of her paws on the rim when she urinates.

Last edited by Aurora : November 16th 2010 at 01:39 PM. Reason: added photo
    Old February 20th 2010, 04:27 AM
    Site Admin

Default Week 11

Friday February 12
    Majel finally defecated this morning after the 10am feeding; at first she dropped one "bullet" into the tray but twenty minutes later she returned to drop the rest right down the hole. Fry defecated tonight after the 10pm feeding.

Saturday February 13
    Accident-free day, although neither cat defecated all day. It seems they are both going to be defecating less than once per day, which is expected on the raw food diet, and is frankly fantastic for toilet training!

Sunday February 14
    Fry defected in the LK this morning after the 10am feeding. His feces was very firm, almost dry, and had no odour! This is perfectly natural on a raw food diet because there is very little nutritional waste, unlike commercial cat foods which have fillers in them. Majel did not defecate today.

Monday February 15
    Majel woke us up at 6am when she defecated in the LK. Like Fry, her feces was very firm, almost dry, and had little odour. Fry urinated in the LK immediately thereafter because Majel went entirely in the hole and no cleanup was required. Fry started scratching on the bed before the 10am feeding so I brought him to the LK, however he only did burying motions. He looked in the bathtub but it was full of water and then he began pacing the bathroom. I washed the LK and then he urinated in it. Fry defecated in the LK shortly before bedtime.

Tuesday February 16
    Accident-free day. Neither cat defecated today, but Fry urinates more than he used to on the old food.

Wednesday February 17
    Majel defecated in the LK this morning before the 10am feeding. Fry did not defecate today.

Thursday February 18
    Fry defecated in the LK this morning after the 10am feeding. Majel continues to squat in the litter and get urine all over her butt. I have trained her to assume a proper position with all four paws on the rim of the LK, but we have not yet been able to apply it to when she is actually going.

Majel wants to know where the LitterKwitter is (it was being cleaned). She is a smart lady who never has an accident in the house, but she is having a really hard time picking up the proper positioning required.

Last edited by Aurora : November 16th 2010 at 03:05 PM. Reason: added photo
    Old February 25th 2010, 04:35 PM
    Site Admin

Great post!

I have trained 3 cats and here are some tips that might help you:

put some water in the bath and leave it - works a treat

I drilled holes all over the disk - most of the pee just drains away, I wish I had thought to do this while I training my first 2 cats. I also use the same disk for the new kitten and shave off about 5 mm each weekend with a dremel. My first 2 cats really didn't like the new disks being introduced.

I helped 2 of my cats with their positioning, I had to wait until they actually started to pee or poo or they would just run away like yours do. I never picked them up, just moved their feet around. Eventually they do get the right idea although all 3 of my cats face the back of the toilet - oh well, if it all goes in the toilet then I'm not going to try and make them face forwards.

Good luck!
    Old February 27th 2010, 02:45 PM
    Site Admin

Thanks for the great tips!

We have been keeping an inch of water in the bathtub and that has definitely worked at deterring Fry from using it. Fry knows he should only go in the LK and only seeks out other places if he thinks the LK is too dirty, but he falls too easily into that pattern and so having water in the bathtub has helped him break that routine and give the LK a second chance. It also gives us time to hear him searching for a new spot and we can rush in and calm his fears (usually by cleaning the LK).

Drilling holes in the disks is a fabulous idea! At this point I am reluctant to permanently change my LK because we have actually had a breakthrough in positioning and might be able to move onto green soon, but if I was starting over in red I would definitely consider this.

As for the positioning breakthrough ...

My kitten has been a natural at putting his paws onto the white rim on the amber stage. He started by putting two paws himself, and he would allow us to put his third and fourth paws up if we did it while he had already started going. Very soon he got the idea and now he puts all paws up on the white rim by himself. Our adult cat however was putting all four of her paws in the litter and squatting very low which would leave her with urine all over the fur on her butt which would then drip all over the bathroom.

But with one simple modification to the LK, our adult cat is now the bathroom superstar who puts all her paws on the white rim and eliminates entirely into the toilet, no cleanup required! More on the modification below ...
    Old February 27th 2010, 03:01 PM
    Site Admin

Default Week 12

Friday February 19
    Majel defecated this morning after the 10am feeding, although it took her 3 attempts to do it, probably because I was there trying to position her. She urinated half an hour later when I wasn't there. Considering how trashed the bathroom was, she definitely didn't position correctly. Fry has had perfect form for weeks and is more than ready to move on to the next stage. Majel needs to start making some progress with her positioning.

Saturday February 20
    Fry defecated early this afternoon. After reading the forums, we came up with the idea of putting a column of cardboard coming up from the hole to help Majel's positioning. Since she currently puts all four paws into the LK and hovers over the entire disk to urinate, the column should force her out of the disk towards putting her paws on the rim. She has urinated once with the column in place and it turns out the column was too short: she hovered over it to urinate, although it did prevent her from getting pee-butt.

Sunday February 21
    My boyfriend made the column taller but Majel knocked it over. He modified the column but Majel has not used it yet. Neither cat defecated today.

Monday February 22
    Majel defecated this morning after the 10am feeding. The feces was in the front of the LK, but I didn't see her do it so I don't know if she positioned properly. When she later urinated, she managed to squeeze around the cardboard column to keep all her paws in the litter. So now we've moved onto a cardboard flap that covers the back half of the LK. Fry urinated shortly before the 10pm feeding and had no issues with the new barrier, keeping his perfect positioning. Majel tried to use the new cardboard barrier setup last night but her leg fell into the toilet and she gave up.

Tuesday February 23
    Fry urinated before the 10am feeding and defecated after it. He has no problems with Majel's cardboard barrier for urinating, but it distressed him so much for defecating that I had to take it down before he would go - I think he missed being able to dig circles around the LK before settling down to defecate, which I find weird because he barely digs at all to urinate. Taking down the barrier isn't really a problem because it's easy to do and because Fry only defecates about every second day.

This morning after the 10am feeding Majel got onto the LK half a dozen times and scratched around before giving up. I moved the barrier back about 2 inches and a few minutes later I heard her peeing directly into the toilet. When I rushed in she had perfect positioning! What a good girl!!! She repeated her perfect performance tonight after the 10pm feeding. Our good girl has had a breakthrough!

Wednesday February 24
    Majel continues to position perfectly and urinate directly into the hole with the cardboard barrier in place. Neither cat defecated today.

Thursday February 25
    Majel tricked me this morning. I knew it was her day to poo, so when she started balking at using the LK and pushing against the cardboard barrier from behind, I figured she just didn't want to have the barrier around when she defecated, just like Fry. So I took the barrier down, gave her some privacy, and came back to find that she'd urinated her old way and dripped urine all over the bathroom. The barrier stays up from now on! Fry defecated this evening before the 10pm feeding and Majel finally did too after the 10pm feeding and many attempts.

Thanks to this cardboard barrier, Majel positions perfectly AND goes directly into the hole. She's head of the class!

Last edited by Aurora : November 16th 2010 at 03:23 PM. Reason: added photo
    Old March 6th 2010, 06:42 AM
    Site Admin

Default Week 13

Friday February 26
    Accident-free day. Neither cat defecated today.

Saturday February 27
    Majel defecated in the LK this afternoon. Fry defecated after the 10pm feeding, but only after half an hour of running around and digging in the wrong places.

Sunday February 28
    Majel has not urinated since yesterday afternoon. She has been alternating meowing to us while sitting outside the bathroom with scratching around in the LK, squatting, and then giving up. She had done this routine half a dozen times when she finally urinated directly into the hole with perfect positioning and no fuss. Neither cat defecated today.

Monday March 1
    Now that Majel goes directly into the hole, it is hard to tell if she has urinated, but I worry that again she hasn't gone in 24 hours. Neither cat defecated today.

Tuesday March 2
    I heard Majel urinating this morning after the 10am feeding, which is a relief, but even knowing she went it was still hard to tell, so I think I've been worrying for nothing and she's been urinating more often than I realize. Neither cat defecated today.

Wednesday March 3
    Fry finally defecated after the 10am feeding and Majel finally defecated in the afternoon. Neither cat showed signs of distress, loss of appetite or diminished energy, so I guess it's just the wonders of their natural diet. I almost wish they would eliminate more often so their toilet training would be quicker.

Thursday March 4
    Accident-free day.

The cardboard is Majel's crutch and Fry's nemesis.

Last edited by Aurora : November 16th 2010 at 03:27 PM. Reason: added photo
    Old March 12th 2010, 02:58 PM
    Site Admin

Default Week 14

Friday March 5
    Accident-free day. I washed down the bathroom today.

Saturday March 6
    NOT an accident-free day! Fry has gone so long without accidents that in the past week I haven't been as strict about closing off the rooms we aren't using. I know that he doesn't like Majel's cardboard barrier, but he will use it without issue when we are around. However today we had a houseguest staying over, there was more activity in the house than usual, our bedroom door was left open, and at some point after the 10am feeding Fry defecated on the bed. At least with the new natural diet it was an easy clean-up, but still so disappointing!

I am sure that without Majel's barrier he wouldn't have had the accident, but I don't think Majel is ready to do without it yet. She is very elusive about urinating and goes directly into the hole so I really have no idea how often she is going. I am thinking about setting up a webcam in the bathroom so I can see how she's coming along, because that barrier really needs to come down for Fry's sake (and ultimately for Majel's sake as she can't use it forever).

Sunday March 7
    Accident-free day. Majel defecated this morning shortly after the 10am feeding.

Monday March 8
    Accident-free day.

Tuesday March 9
    Shortly before the 10pm feeding, Fry defecated on the bathroom floor in front of the toilet! Everything is back to normal in the house so I was really shocked and I hope we are not starting into the kinds of problems that are all over the forums. He tried out the LK and kicked litter everywhere but then gave up and went on the floor, so I know this is mostly about Fry hating Majel's barrier - I just hope it doesn't become a pattern. I need to set up a pee-cam so I can be more attentive to when Majel is going and then I will take off the barrier.

Wednesday March 10
    Accident-free day.

Thursday March 11
    Majel defecated shortly after the 10am feeding, right into the hole and all four paws on the rim. I am anxiously waiting for Fry to defecate because we cannot have another accident!

While the cardboard barrier helps Majel, it hinders Fry.

Last edited by Aurora : November 16th 2010 at 03:29 PM. Reason: added photo
    Old March 13th 2010, 01:10 AM
    Site Admin

One of my two cats used to have accidents on the floor every time after I throughly cleaned the bathroom! It could have been the cleaner that I used or just because he missed his scent when the toilet was too clean! Both of my cats now use the white rim with perfect position. My girl used to have all her paws in the amber tray and got them all wet when she peed. As we moved along to the green tray, she still placed her feet in the tray and got them wet from time to time. I did drill tiny holes in the back of the green tray and amber tray which helped a little with the matter. I had tried numerous times to correct her position but I could only move her front paws out of the tray to the white rim and I just left her at that. I found that if I tried to do too much, she would stressed out and just held on to her businesses and tried to run away from me. Now that she is on the white rim, there is no problem with her position!