• Back to Homepage
  • Doogie's LITTER KWITTER Forums - The Place for Cat Toilet Training  
    Old August 4th 2012, 07:28 PM
    Site Admin

demmuffins: Sounds good, you are welcome

nightwriter518: I know that you asked Aurora where she is, I'm wondering that too - I think that she is taking her time and are not stressed about removing the green stage and that is why she is still there - but I'll love to hear if anything else has happend since she wrote last.

I finished training my cats a year ago.

I think that as long as you do this as slowly as possible and do everything you can to prevent accidents it will work for you, if the cats start to have accidents that is when you need to really be around and get them out of that bad habits. Do the changes in the weekends so you can monitor them and see how they react, give them lots of treats and don't push them too hard. I trained three cats one one LK, but I think more than one device is very helpful if you have multiple cats - if one is dirty or they are not used to sharing they have more than one choice. I made a thread with many good links for TT, I suggest you start with flushable litter, problems with red stage, the cardboard method and mock toilet. The stories are also very helpful, check it out: http://www.litterkwitter.com/forums/...ead.php?t=3095

Good luck
    Old August 5th 2012, 12:12 AM
    Site Admin

Default Thank you for replying, Norwegiangirl85!

I spent houuuuuurs reading your posts last night, Norwegiangirl85! They were VERY informative. I will continue to read them, and already checked out the Cardboard Method. I already ensured they have wheat flushable litter, and I mixed it with their old litter a few times before moving them just onto the wheat litter. They didn't seem to care about the difference, which was nice because Bob, our older male, is declawed in the front (not something we did, but a previous owner did). He can be pretty finicky about his litter and I think that has something to do with it!

Anywho, the kitties are used to sharing a litter box already so I don't think that's the issue. I was going to go out for a little while today but I decided against it just to make sure they use the LK. They both keep checking it out, then sniffing around other places. I keep watching them like a hawk to make sure they don't have an accident elsewhere! I will feel so much better once they both actually use the LK. Someone peed in it a little last night but I think that was Lucky, our younger male. He also didn't really care about being locked in the bathroom. He just laid down and went to sleep.

I worry about Bob more than Lucky because he doesn't like change, he gets spooked VERY easily and is much more apprehensive than Lucky. He has always been this way. We think he may not have had a very good owner previously. He's been with us for years but is still pretty skittish. Lucky, on the other hand, adopted us when he was a kitten and showed up at our front door like, "Hey guys, I'm home!"

I've attached pics of my guys (the black one is Bob, the orange one is Lucky), and of the current set up in case you have any suggestions on changes I should make. I love them to pieces so I hate to see them have a hard time. I hope they catch on to this!!!
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg LITTER QUITTER 2.jpg (58.0 KB, 7 views)
    File Type: jpg Image21.jpg (67.6 KB, 5 views)
    File Type: jpg Image20.jpg (62.3 KB, 6 views)
    Old August 14th 2012, 12:07 AM
    Site Admin

I think that you are very wise to have read the previous posts and have made a good start by mixing the litter already. My only suggestion at this stage is to open the toilet and tie the lid to the tank to get the cats used to open water ASAP. Hopefully it may help the transition to the toilet seat. I wish you great success! and do remember to go slowly. It does take time.
    Old August 17th 2012, 05:33 AM
    Site Admin

You are very welcome nightwriter518! I'm so happy that you feel they are informative, I really want people to be succsessfull and not go trough all the frustration I went trough - or at least less of it

Your cats are so sweet

I agree with Norma Pride about putting the toilet lid up and securing it so they get used to the seat and the water even if they don't need to use it yet. You can play with them so they get used to jumping up and down there so they feel safe in that area.

Good luck!!!
    Old September 20th 2012, 02:46 AM
    Site Admin

i will get my kitten when they are 8 weeks old. that would be in the mid of october. what do you recommend. should i place the LK next to my toilette or should i place it in the toilette with something to climb up?

Greets Johannes from Germany
    Old September 28th 2012, 05:03 PM
    Site Admin

I answered you in your own thread
    Old October 24th 2012, 06:31 AM
    Site Admin

Default Your Diary

I read your whole diary. I am new to using LK and I too have two 6 month old cats (sisters) I saw right away that you tried different methods not in the instructions. I can see some confusion with your cats and problems. I have had my cats (they were dropped off at my doorstep) since Oct 9th. I bought the LK on Oct 10th, I had red with white seat on floor next to toilet for only 3 days. I constantly had to clean it because of two cats using such a small thing. And when I say clean it I mean dump out all the litter, take a high pressure hose and spray all the caked up urine off and put new litter. I then moved seat on top of toilet (had to remove ALL clips to fit our elongated seat) and put a foot stool next to toilet. They used it right away! I still clean it very well as the instruction dvd tells you cats hate a dirty litter box and to make it a pleasant experience so keep it CLEAN. I don't care if I have to buy a new box of litter everyday if it means training my cats to never have to use litter again! I have them both using the amber stage already, sometimes the mess is in the toilet sometimes it is on the amber rim. If you do modifications like, cover the water, that is not what the instructions do, you will confuse your cats. The whole idea is that you want them to learn that when it they go in the water they don't have to worry about covering their scent, the water does it for them. I have had them for two weeks now they have not had any accidents, they are using the amber tray and I am so excited about switching to the green stage but will wait another week. I will keep you posted.

I think if you re watch the DVD you will see that if you follow it just like it says and don't try modifications, keep it very clean you will not confuse your cats and hope they won't go on bed and other places. Good luck!
    I am lucky that I work out of the home so I can keep a close on eye on keeping the tray very clean at all times!
    Old October 24th 2012, 06:57 AM
    Site Admin

I am also a member of a different cat toilet training forum and have learned that a slow transition is the best for most cats. Going straight from red to amber is scary for many cats because they are not used to the water and the hole and they hate changes. It is good that your cat didn't refuse after the change, but that does not mean that it is that easy for everyone that tries to do it that way. I still believe after reading many many many stories that modifications is needed for 97% of toilet training cats. I'm excited to see if your cat will take to the green stage the same way as he has with the amber stage

Being able to work from home is extremely helpful in toilet training so I'm sure you will be succsessful in the end either way