• Back to Homepage
  • Doogie's LITTER KWITTER Forums - The Place for Cat Toilet Training  
    Old March 24th 2011, 04:57 AM
    Site Admin

Smile

I dont really know where to buy anything with pumpkin here in Norway, I don't think I have ever eaten it before either...Maybe in a vegetable shop somewhere, I'll look around

Hmmm, I guess you have to look around more, what a about this:
    http://www.thingamababy.com/baby/2008/10/pottyseat.html
    Old November 30th 2011, 05:42 AM
    Site Admin

Just thought I would update on Fry and Majel's progress, since Norwegiangirl asked me on YouTube, that girl is everywhere helping out!

So the background is we started using the LK on the first day that we got both our cats in December 2009. In one year they had progressed to using the green disk with litter. We'd had setbacks along the way, but by December 2010 they were both using the LK consistently and we had been accident-free since October 2010. Before October, Fry had a bad habit of pooping on the bed anytime the bedroom door was left open. So we started to work hard to break this habit by always keeping the door closed, and by lavishly praising and treating Fry with his favourite treats and toys every time he pooped in the LK. If he pooped on the bed he would get the cold shoulder.

We moved to a new house in January 2011. Since I still didn't trust Fry not to poop on the bed if given a chance, I bought a plastic tarp to cover our bed since the new cat bathroom is located off the master bedroom. Fry had two accidents in January where he pooped in the shower, and Majel (who had not had an accident since the first few weeks of training over a year ago) pooped in a potted plant in February. I figured Majel was a fluke and continued to work hard to break Fry's pooping habit by keeping doors shut, by strictly observing him when I knew he needed to go, and sometimes by spraying him with water when he was digging to poop in the wrong room.

By March I found that I could trust Fry to use the LK without the tarp on the bed. It was so great to finally get there with him! I bought a Feliway in May because I was planning to start moving past the green disk and wanted to do everything I could to help the process. We reduced the amount of litter until they were using no litter at all in the green disk.

Sometime in June or July I started experimenting with how to progress past the green disk. I tried these things: flipping over the green disk, putting the toilet seat down over the green disk, and getting a child's toilet seat that was flat and had a hole that was even smaller than the green disk. Each time we tried something different, Fry would freak out. He would try to use the LK, but would give up because it prevented him from digging and go look for somewhere else to go. I wasn't willing to stick to any of these methods for more than a couple of days because Fry would soon give up even trying the LK and would search for another place to go every time, both pee and poop. I would give up after having to put Fry on the toilet in mid-pee or mid-poop.

I went back to the white rim and green setup with no litter. Then in August we got new toilets that are 2 inches higher off the ground than the old ones. Whether it was the new toilets or problems left over from my experiments, Fry was still reluctant to use the LK at this point so I went back to pouring lots of litter in the green disk to encourage him.

In September, Majel started pooping regularly in potted plants, either because she disliked the new toilets or maybe she just finally found the potted plants. We were stupid to leave them available, but she'd ignored them for months until now. After three or four accidents we finally rigged the plants so she couldn't get in them and that stopped her accidents.

Fry had been back to using the LK consistently without the tarp on the bed by September when he all of a sudden, one night in October when we had guests over, he pooped on the bed. Then there were 3 more accidents, always involving rooms that are usually closed or once in the sink when my fiance took the stuff out that was blocking it from Fry. So since then I have moved my desk into the master bedroom and have been vigilantly monitoring Fry and covering the bed when I'm not around. We still use litter in the green disk and the last accident was at the end of October.

So what's next? I think my next tactic when I feel the cats are solidly back on track will be to reduce litter again. After that, I am not sure. Fry is a digger, he can dig for five minutes at a time, and it hasn't changed at all over the life of the LK training, so I don't see him stopping anytime soon. To get past the green stage, he needs an alternate place to dig. I am thinking I will get a stool that is the same height as the toilet, or perhaps a of scratching post? As long as the green is in place he'll dig there even without litter, but if I move beyond it (I'm going to use the cardboard method to progress), he'll need an alternate place to scratch. Any ideas about moving past green for us?
    Old December 2nd 2011, 04:49 AM
    Site Admin

Ha ha, I'm everywhere

Hmmm, I'm trying to think really hard here...

Sticking to one thing might be helpful, but I understand you are afraid of accidents...I'm sure they started having accidents after you changed toilets because there was something about them they didn't like, but they did get used to it after a while so maybe it's the same for other changes aswell?

Maybe you could try to put the toilet seat down (if you have a flat wide one that would be great) over the LK and put alot more litter in the green tray to make up for the change...and then when they are used to that slowely reduce the tray and litter using the cardboard method...

I don't feel like a scratching post has helped so much since they don't seem to use it in connection with using the toilet...They scratch the floor instead...A stool in the same hight as the toilet sounds like a good idea, especially if the toilet seat is not wide enough - it might help them feel more secure about their position...
    Old December 13th 2011, 04:21 AM
    Site Admin

Any updates? I'm on the last green tray as well and sort of weighing my options. I have 2 kittens (we're in week 8...and you can track my progress in my blog www.demmuffins.wordpress.com). I have REALLY reduced the litter so that there are really only a few crumbs in the tray these past few days. It hasn't seemed to bother them too much. I can't decide if I should flip the seat down over the green tray first? Or take the green tray out and let them practice with the seat up for a while before flipping the seat down and removing the LK altogether. I guess I'll have to experiment over the next few days.
    Old December 13th 2011, 11:51 PM
    Site Admin

Fry pooped on the bed again at the end of November when my vigilance in covering the bed slipped. So now I'm being HYPER-vigilant about it to break him of his accident streak. I am sure that, like last time, if I can just get him to go long enough without accidents by directly interfering with his ability to do so, that he will eventually become trustworthy again.

We are still on the last green disk using very little litter. Unfortunately, our biggest problem is that one of my cats is a very enthusiastic digger - he has been since he started this as a kitten and it has never changed. Having a vigorous digger causes some unique problems in toilet training. If Fry can't dig, he will refuse the LK and look for another place. Any progression we do past the final green disk will have to involve me diverting Fry's digging somewhere else. Hopefully I can figure out a way to get him digging on the toilet seat or the white seat instead.

If neither of your cats are diggers, I don't think you will have any problems progressing, especially because they are also still kittens. If I had a non-digger, I think my preferred method of progressing past green would be to use the cardboard method (with litter) until they were on the white seat, and then once they were comfortable with that I'd introduce the toilet seat over the white seat, and then eventually remove the white seat.
    Old December 14th 2011, 01:15 AM
    Site Admin

Yedi was a big digger and that is why we had big problems removing the green ring...When we did the cardboard method he didn't have any problems until we removed the white LK seat since he was digging the little white lip...When that was gone he had noe idea where to dig...He had many accidents, but I worked hard on him and now he has been good for soon 3 months...So it is possible with a digger
    Old December 14th 2011, 02:26 AM
    Site Admin

What does Yedi do now, has he just stopped digging? Fry digs very enthusiastically, usually for several minutes, before he goes. He needs to do it to stimulate his bowels. I have tried changing his food a bit, such as adding pumpkin and olive oil, but while that speeds up when he will go, it doesn't seem to change his need to dig a lot before actually going. He only digs for pooping, not for peeing.
    Old December 14th 2011, 02:33 AM
    Site Admin

He doesn't dig very much, some times a bit around his food bowl...But what he does is run around the apartement like crazy, jump on the toilet, jump down, rund around...he does that a few times, then in the last minute he jumps on the toilet and does his thing...He does complain alot, jumping on our doorhandle to try to get in the bedroom aswell, so we lock it...

Miro didn't dig much when he trained him except for on the floor and around the food bowl, but now he also does it on the toilet lid (Before and after he use the toilet) - I think he does it to get attention since I always wake up to get him a treat

Mina never digs, but she was never a big digger before - just a bit...She just walks back and forth around the toilet, jump up and down a few times before she decides to use it...

Yedi complains alot for both deeds, Mina usually only for #1 and Miro sometimes for #2...Strange...
    Old December 16th 2011, 12:05 AM
    Site Admin

Ben and Dez used to dig a lot when they were using the previous trays and I gave them more litter. Now, Dez will barely scratch the litter once or twice before he goes. It's almost like it is out of habit and he needs to do that to feel comfortable. After he goes, there is no digging at all, as everything has fallen into the water. So my plan is to give them less and less litter until he's comfortable with a litter-less green tray, and then take the green away altogether.

Ben will do his business with or without the green tray. He's such a pro!

Thanks for all the advice, Aurora and NorwegianGirl!
    Old August 4th 2012, 04:56 PM
    Site Admin

Post Update?

Where are you with the training now? I have to admit, your blog scares me! We just started using the Little Kwitter tonight. Bob and Lucky (our cats) aren't very happy that they're locked in the bathroom, but I'm hoping they get passed that tonight and use the red disk while the LK is on the floor.

However, as much as I want this system to work, I don't have nearly as much ability to oversee them as you do and you have still had so many obstacles. What a blessing it must be to work from home and keep an eye on their progress, and yet it has been over 2 years of posting and, as of your last post, they still weren't passed the green stage. Not your fault or theirs, but it is a MUCH longer process than the advertisements lead you to believe.

My boyfriend works 7 days a week and is a very heavy sleeper (as I can be at times) but I'll be the one working with the cats on this entire process because of his work schedule. Seeing as I'm about to start work, too, I'm very worried that the cats won't get the constant supervision they need to make this work. Feeling a bit discouraged right now, and I have hardly begun...