• Back to Homepage
  • Doogie's LITTER KWITTER Forums - The Place for Cat Toilet Training  
    Old June 12th 2009, 10:42 AM
    Site Admin

Default What to do when you are at work

I have only been using LK for almost a week. They caught on fast to pee on the toilet, but have been pooping on the floor in front of the toilet while i am at work. Do you guys have any advice on what to do??
    Old June 12th 2009, 11:59 AM
    Site Admin

Sounds like you have gone a little fast, the LK should be on the floor with them using it all the time before you start to move it up slowly.
    Old June 12th 2009, 12:07 PM
    Site Admin

well, it was on the floor for over a week before i placed it on the toilet.
    Old August 7th 2009, 12:46 PM
    Site Admin

Default Pooping on floor

I am having the same problem. Both of my cats were using the LK on the floor for a week but only one of them will pee and poo in it on the toilet and the other will go on the floor, in the exact same spot the LK used to be. I don't want to give up but I don't seem to be making progress. And I don't have access to another LK.
    Thanks!
    Old September 8th 2009, 03:23 PM
    Site Admin

That's really weird. My cats wait until the evening and nighttime to go pee/poop. Anyway, my tip would be to use crystal kitty litter, which keeps the dish cleaner for longer. Although it's bad to flush that stuff down the toilet, in small amounts, it hasn't seemed to wreck my plumbing yet, and I just dump the rest in the garbage. Other options would be to change your cats feeding schedule, and/or to have someone come to your house and change it during the day.
    Old February 14th 2010, 07:59 PM
    Site Admin

Lightbulb

Have you changed their litter since you placed the disc on the toilet?

- if you have, try going half & half while you are still in the red stage and slowly wean them onto a bio-degradable litter before you get to the Amber or Green Stage... I use Worlds Best.
    Old February 14th 2010, 10:19 PM
    Site Admin

Some cats will need more time than the advertised 2 weeks minimum. Quite frankly I think the timeline is a bit misleading... It's always best to go at your cat's pace. It looks to me like your cat is possibly confused about what to do when pooping or is not comfortable pooping on top of the toilet.

You can try putting the LK back on the floor, to re-establish that the LK is for pooping in. If your cat poops enough times on the floor, they might get it in their head that it's ok, or its the designated place for pooping.

Then try elevating the LK slowly, so possibly placing some sturdy boxes, or telephone books under the LK, to transition up to toilet. Or maybe provide a footstool for them so they can access the toilet easier.

OR if you don't want to regress to the floor, you can try putting a tray of water or something to block off the floor where the cat has been pooping. If your cat tries to poop elsewhere on the floor, then maybe you need to try putting the LK on the floor.
    Old February 17th 2010, 02:37 AM
    Site Admin

Default Adjust Feeding Schedule

I have been working with this issue for a while now - I think the best suggestion is to feed your cats when you come home from work. Mine usually go after eating, so this schedule makes it most likely for me to be home when they go.

If you figure out their "rhythms" for how frequently they go, its not difficult to adjust their feeding times accordingly.

If that doesn't work, try the "obstacle course" approach where you put stuff on the floor that they don't like.
    Old March 6th 2010, 04:51 AM
    Site Admin

Default Retraction

Hey guys,

I just wanted to say that while my previous comment does make suggestions that can be effective, sometimes your cats do seem to wait for you to leave before they go which is extremely frustrating.

So any other suggestions are encouraged!

I started feeding my cats in the afternoon (since they used to go within hours of eating), and it worked at first, but now they just hold it til I'm gone.
    Old July 8th 2010, 09:00 AM
    Site Admin

Default webcam & walky talky method

hi all,

i'm now training two cats with intermediate amber stage. one is doing both #1 and #2 fine. the other one is doing #1 fine but she decided defecating on the floor a week ago. so, i decided to reinforce her "own willingness" to use LK without my interactions. i believe reinforcing her "own willingness" is the best.

here's my methods to correct her to do #2 on LK.

1: put a network webcam in the bathroom
    2: put a walkie-talkie (transceivers) in the bathroom
    3: watch computer screen (you need to know their schedules, first) - impossible to watch the screen all the time.
    4: make some sound like just saying "no" or whistling through the walkie-talkie to surprise and stop doing #2 on the floor when a cat starts to scrach and tries to do #2 on the floor
    5: continue watching computer screen until she goes back on LK to do #2
    * with computer network experiences, you can monitor cats and make sounds from work. (I was actually doing it).

#2 on floor = bad (big surprise)
    #2 on LK = good (no surprise and comfortable)
    cat eventually understands.

just a few times with these methods, i successfully made her do #2 on LK but i am still watching her in case she forgets LK.

good luck !!!

Last edited by whiskeybonbons : July 8th 2010 at 09:08 AM.