• Back to Homepage
  • Doogie's LITTER KWITTER Forums - The Place for Cat Toilet Training  
    Old May 17th 2009, 02:13 AM
    Site Admin

Default What happens when cats need to go to cattery?

Hi, have just bought the LK and can't wait to get started but am going away for a week in about 12weeks time, hopefully cats will be toilet trained byt hen but what happens when they are faced with a litter tray again in the cattery? When they come home will i need to start training all over again? x
    Old August 13th 2009, 08:17 AM
    Site Admin

Bumping, as I too am wondering this....anyone got an answer?
    Old August 13th 2009, 10:32 PM
    Site Admin

I got back from my vacation last week. My cats were using the litter box when I wasn't home with a cat sitter because my problem cat Coco needed me to take her for her to use the LK. When I got back, I switched back to the Lk (green tray) right the way. I had to show my cats that the litter box is gone and they are back with the LK. They were not very happy. Coco was looking for her litter box. My other cat, Tux was complaining at the beginning and I had to be there to encourage him to poo the first time. He's been good after that and Coco is back with the routine too. So I think you can use a litter box and get back on the Lk with some adjusting time.
    Old August 14th 2009, 02:54 AM
    Site Admin

I would think that being out of their home environment using a box isn't too disturbing as the LK is what they do in their familiar surroundings...I could be wrong tho.
    Old March 3rd 2010, 09:23 PM
    Site Admin

Question To the kennel while on holiday...

No more people here with experience?

I want to learn my cat to use the LK... BUT, I also wonder what happens when I go on holiday, and my cat has to go to the kennel? They don't have a normal toilet for the cats to use!

What will happen when the cat suddenly has a litter tray again?
    Will they use that, or will they look around for a normal toilet (and have accidents)??

Anyone?

Answers would be much welcome!

Thanks,
    Gaia
    Old July 5th 2011, 11:45 PM
    Site Admin

Default LK and Holidays...

Hi, I have just stated the amber stage today with Meeshka, she seems to be holding all her business in at the moment... I've even taken her outside (on her leash) but she isn't going. Looks like it will be a long night for me tonight. I also have the problem that I'm going away for 4 weeks at the end of this month, I thought of not starting the training until I got back, but she has always been curious about the toilet since I first got her, so I decided to give it a go. At this stage, I am not sure if she will need to go to a cattery, but even if she doesn't I don't think anyone else will be as diligent as I am in keeping the LK clean. I guess if I have to start all over again when I'm back I'll just do that!!! what the heck!!!
    Old July 6th 2011, 05:46 AM
    Site Admin

I would rather have a family or friend to take care of my cats when I'm away, but if you have to keep your cat at the cattery maybe you can make or buy some kind of porta potty?

http://www.litterkwitter.com/forums/...ht=porta+potty

I know there was someone on this forum who had pictures of one he made, search around and maybe you can find it
    Old July 6th 2011, 08:41 AM
    Site Admin

My cats don't like to leave the house. They feel "out of their element". It would be too stressful for my cats to bring them to a cattery or to be boarded. There is a place near my house that has licensed pet sitters that come to your home and stay for 30 minutes to an hour. They feed your cats, play with them and take care of the litter. They are also licensed to give medication or any other special needs. I have only had to have them cat-sit for me once, and we were on the red stage and didn't have any problems.

If you go to www.petsit.com, it is an International website that lets you type in what kind of services you want (ex. House-sitting, cats) and it gives you a list of places in your area that are trusted professionals. It also doesn't cost more than boarding, in my opinion. I pay $25 a day for a 30 minute check-up, but the price will be different for each place I guess.

This way, your kitties can stay at home stress free and use the LK =)
    Old July 6th 2011, 10:43 AM
    Site Admin

Post LK and Holidays...

Thanks for all the info. The reason I thought of a "cattery" was so Meeshka wasn't alone for long periods, because I'm home most of the time, but I guess having thought about it, she probably would be more comfortable at home in her own environment. The porta potty sounds great, (I haven't seen one for kids, are they readily available in Australia?) could use it for short holidays, and take her with me as she has a harness and lead and is very good with it - she goes outside into the court yard every day on it and sometimes sleeps in the sun.

I checked the website for pet sitters but they are only in Brisbane, not on the Sunshine Coast where I live... might be an option for me to start it up in my area!!!

I reverted back to the "red stage" today, she held in ALL night and as soon as I put the red disk back she went immediately... I will get the duct tape today and do the cardboard trick with her, I think that will work.

Thanks again for the info, this site is great...
    Old July 6th 2011, 06:37 PM
    Site Admin

Here in Norway we also have the option to have a pet sitter too and it costs almost the same, only a bit more...But I have three cats so it's actually cheaper than going to the cattery The problem is that I feel that one visit a day is very little now in the training so if it's possible to get someone I know to do it, that is better...There is a reason that I have not been away from my cats more than one day since I started training 10 months ago...I'm going away for 5 days tomorrow and my brother will take care of them at his place...I hope they will be good...

By the way, there migth be a company where you live that has a pet sitter also, try to google the web...Or start your own is a good idea I was thinking about doing the same thing...

Check out the links in this thread: http://www.litterkwitter.com/forums/...ortable+toilet

The cardboard method is very helpful, good luck with that

Last edited by Norwegiangirl85 : July 6th 2011 at 06:41 PM.