• Back to Homepage
  • Doogie's LITTER KWITTER Forums - The Place for Cat Toilet Training  
    Old February 21st 2009, 04:04 AM
    Site Admin

Default Veteran cat, on green stage, regression.

Well I had been having a blast, with a few months of her using the toilet for both solid and liquid waste, and just when I thought she might be ready to "graduate" she has started to regress/rebel.

I'll point out that I've done all of the standard steps, and even given out several tips that worked great to get her to using the LK in other person's threads here. I'm just a little mystified as to why she has gone backwards all of a sudden. She still readily poops on the LK, it's just that she won't do it on her own, the only way it's going to happen at this point is if I am home when she needs to go. Which is making it feel like we are just starting out at the first step all over again.

If there is a saving grace to this, she is urinating on the potty like a champ. There isn't any other place she prefers to go. And perhaps thankfully, she is actually pooping in the bathroom--she's just doing it on the floor in front of the toilet. In the past, when she was just getting started, I would put bowls of water on the floor in the spots where she went, for a few weeks I lined the floor with aluminum foil. All of this seems unweildy now and some of these attempts to remedy her behaviour in my absense, I suspect, may not work at this point, because this is a half-bathroom with rather limited space, and if I were to block her access to the area where she has rather regularly been pooping? I would actually block her access from being able to get up on the toilet, and we don't want that.

Anybody have any ideas? Anything you think I could be missing? The entire bathroom and the toilet & water are all very clean and smell that way. I'm flummoxed. We're so, so close here.
    Old February 21st 2009, 09:42 AM
    Site Admin

Endymion, you said your cat would use the Lk for #2 if you were there when she needed to go--does she normally come to you or you need to go after her and put her on the LK? Does she show any uneasy or anxiety using the LK to poop?
    One of the two cats that I'm training uses the green tray like a champ. He has not have an accident since the amber stage. However, I've noticed his trouble moments. As a matter of fact, the first time he had constipation, he almost used the floor for his #2. I was home at the time and noticed that he was acting strange( being uneasy, sniffing around in unusual places). I finally realized that he needed to do a number two and I guarded him to the bathroom and insisted he use the LK. After 5 miniutes of talking and convincing him, he finally moaned and did his chore. I then realized he was have a constipation problem. (The reason I realized that was because my other cat always held her #2 in and always had a difficult time doing her #2--with heavy breathing and pushing!)
    There were also a few times that he came to me and had me followed him to the bathroom when he needed to poop( I don't know why maybe he had some other problems like fallen in the toilet?? I've actually seen him almost fell in the toilet a couple of times when he was walking around the white rim but if I was there I would tell him that was okay and that calmed him down. He will wait till I'm there if he needs me. Tux is such a good boy using the Lk bust from time to time he wants me there when he has a problem!
    What I'm trying to say is that maybe something happened while your cat was doing a #2 or there might be something that's bothering her and she feels safer when you're there?! Two bad cats can't talk. It's like my other cat likes to poop on the bathroom floor and I like to know why--I've been doing potty dance with her since October and she takes every opportunity to sneak into the bathroom to do her poop on the bathroom floor!
    Think for a moment--was there any change on the Lk condition when your cat started to poop on the floor? There should be an related incident( bum splashing, constipation, change of diet, etc...) that triggered the floor pooping behavior as your cat still uses the Lk to pee normally!
    Old February 22nd 2009, 10:25 AM
    Site Admin

Well I had thought about possible splashing or falling in, these are two common things people report that makes a cat who is learning well, suddenly adverse.

But this particular toilet is very elliptical, it is "long and low" so to speak, and the water only comes up so far. I had investigated this before I started to see if there would be a problem with water splashing her. As it turns out, this cat is VERY habitual. She will not do her business (#1 or #2) on this toilet in any position other than the one that she got accustomed to. She always faces the back, on the left side where the handle is. I tried to get her to stand in other ways that would make it easier to place the pet stairs that I got for her, so that either myself or guests could use the same toilet, but she didn't like going any other way so I stopped trying to make her stand differently. Anyway, with the way that she stands when pooping, she's never over the deeper part of the water, in fact the turds usually fall on bare porcelain. So if something happened while I wasn't around to scare her, I doubt it was splashing.

I also considered that she may have fallen in. But this I think is even less likely. She has no qualms about getting up on the toilet by herself to pee. In fact, one of the ways that her training advanced quickly happened when I conditioned her to standing on the toilet. I did this by feeding her when she was standing on it. She never enjoyed treats (or even canned food) so I would ration her food so that she would only eat so much at a certain time of day--usually when I came home for lunch--and then she would definitely poop, if not when I was home for lunch that day, by the time I came home in the evening she would be ready to go. She was really starting to associate her behaviour of standing on the toilet with getting fed, so much so that she might just hop on the toilet when she was hungry or when I came home, which was kind of funny. She got pretty nimble at walking around to the spot where she would go, and even now, she is never afraid to just hop right up there when she has to pee. So I doubt she fell in either.

I guess I am going to have to wipe down the entire bathroom floor with some enzymatic cleaner. Then I think I'll regress her a little bit by putting some litter back on the green tray (she had been going great with no litter for at least a couple of months). Also, since she stands only in one spot, maybe a deodorizer placed nearby where she can smell it would help her want to poop there.
    Old February 23rd 2009, 02:46 AM
    Site Admin

Have you think about putting some litter on the porcelain in the toilet to attract your cat to poop there?? I suggest that because there was one time I accidentally spilled litter on the porcelain part of my toilet and my cat,Tux, actually changed his usual position( he also has a favorite position to do his business which is face in at the inside left corner of the toilet) and happily pooped in the porcelain part of the toilet!