• Back to Homepage
  • Doogie's LITTER KWITTER Forums - The Place for Cat Toilet Training  
    Old December 10th 2008, 12:22 AM
    Site Admin

Default Correcting position

Hi Guys
    My kitten is 4 months old now and hes on his second day of using the amber stage. On the first day, he was a bit cautious about it, and prefered to do his bussiness on the floor next to the toilet, but I think I crushed his little rebellion by lifting him up onto the LK (whilst he was doing his bussiness) and then rewarding him.
    Anyway, now hes hopping onto the LK but whilst he was on the red stage he learnt to go in the very centre ring, obviously now that hes on the amber stage his precious centre is missing, and I think hes having trouble finding a comfortable position to do his thing.
    So far he's made deposits on the seat of the LK or in the litter no-where near the hole. Im a bit exasperated about this because he hasnt adopted the correct position shown on the DVD, and I would like to put him in the correct position whilst he's doing the deed, but Im a bit worried that I might traumatise him and have a situation where it puts him off the LK. So can anyone give me any hints in regard to repositioning (Do's/Dont's) or any sort of feedback?
    thanks
    Old December 10th 2008, 05:11 PM
    Site Admin

Don't worry about it. It will be better with the time, and it's quite normal that in Amber stage the positioning is wrong.
    While he is peeing, you can move him gently towards the center, but only slightly after he actually start peeing. This is a point when the cat a little "paralyzed" doing the business. You can gently hold his 2 round thighs with your 2 hands and position him quickly (but gently) over the hole.
    Old December 11th 2008, 12:32 PM
    Site Admin

Pixies is right. If you push your cat's butt forward whiling he is peeing, he probably would keep on doing his business. I do that with my cat, Coco, all the time when I see her being too much towards the back. At first, she is a little uncomfortable. Now she does not mind it that much. Actually, she can poop into the hole 100%, but she still pees toward the back.
    Old December 11th 2008, 05:47 PM
    Site Admin

OK thanks, At the moment he aims to get it in the litter, and keeps his paws in the litter too, but Ive been catching him in the act and moving him, and its great not having to clean up the mess afterwards.
    I was wondering though, how long do I have to keep correcting his position before he learns to put his paws up on the LK seat?

Also Ive found that before my kitten goes to our toilet to do his thing, he checks my brothers room and if the door is open he'll do his thing in there. Is there any way of deterring him from going in there? I was thinking maybe mopping the floor (its not carpeted) in lemon juice or something?
    Old December 12th 2008, 03:28 AM
    Site Admin

If your cat left a scent on the floor, then you have to clean it quickly. This site recommends urine off or there is a homemade remedy you can try. First neutralize the area with 1/2 water and 1/2 white vinegar and rinse well. Then clean the area with a mixture of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and a little dish detergent. I couldn't find Urine off, so I tried the home remedy and I think it works better than the other commercial cleansing agents. You can try the lemon juice thing too--my cats hate the lemon juice but don't buy the formula they sell in the store. Those I bought and they don't work for my cats.
    As far as how long it takes for you cats to correct his position--it depends on whether your cat is stubborn like mine!!
    Old December 12th 2008, 10:08 AM
    Site Admin

Im not so much trying to get him to stop urinating in there, as I am trying to get him to avoid the room all together... like filling the room with garlic if he were a vampire?

And thankfully my kitten isnt stubborn, this morning I woke up and found he'd urinated in the litter of the amber stage overnight, and after I cleaned that out he hopped right up there to defecate.

Ive also found that when I correct his position when I catch him in the act, he makes a sort of indignant meow/groan. Is that normal, or a bad sign?

Last edited by the_khan : December 12th 2008 at 10:12 AM.
    Old December 12th 2008, 11:10 AM
    Site Admin

Khan, I hate to tell you that it is hard to keep a cat out of a particular room. Maybe try citrus air freshener or something?? My cats always like to get in my master bathroom just to lay there. So I just keep my bathroom closed and they lose interest. When I keep my bedroom closed, they love to rush in there when I open the door!!
    As to your cat making a groan, that's just normal. That means he thinks he is in trouble or something. Just praise him and ensure everything is okay. Tell him he is going a good job. Give him treats will help, too.
    Old December 12th 2008, 11:54 AM
    Site Admin

OK, so do you guys actually praise them whilst they're doing the deed? Ive avoided doing that sort of thing, so it doesnt distract them.
    I usually just wait till he finishes, and once he jumps off the toilet he'll quickly streak off to the laundry room because he knows thats where I keep his snacks.
    Also how do you guys praise your cats? I just stroke my cats back until he purrs and give him a couple of dry cat biscuits.
    Old December 12th 2008, 12:35 PM
    Site Admin

Thumbs up

I have found that on lino floors a solution of surgical spirit and water seems to get rid of the cat pee smell. I have bought some Urine-off for my leather sofa and that also seems to have killed the smell on that within 2hrs.

Once i have mopped the floor with the surgical spirit and water solution i then rinse it using a different mop and then dry it so that the solution doesn't get on their paws (normally i shut them out of the room i am cleaning so that there is no chance of it getting on their paws). It may seem like a lot of hassle for cleaning up cat pee but it gets rid of the smell instantly and is cheaper than using the urine-off on the floors as that seems to be a bit pricey.
    Old December 12th 2008, 01:34 PM
    Site Admin

Khan, you can use verbal encouragements once your cat starts doing his business. He will feel more secure and comfortable if you are there to ensure his right behavior. Both of my cats are calmer if I am there just to tell them it's okay when they're hesitating, especially when Tux has constipation (too much dry food and not enough water!)

What is surgical spirit? Is it rubbing alcohol?? I need to clean off the bathroom floor which Coco constantly uses for her business! I can tell there is still scent because she sniffs over there all the time!