• Back to Homepage
  • Doogie's LITTER KWITTER Forums - The Place for Cat Toilet Training  
    Old March 17th 2010, 03:30 AM
    Site Admin

When I thoroughly clean the bathroom, I make sure that there is still some scent in the LK area by saving some of their used litter (scooped out, but not fresh from the bag) and putting it back in the LK when everything is cleaned. My two cats seem to be very picky about cleanliness and we have had a couple of occasions where they would stop using the LK and wouldn't start again until the whole bathroom was cleaned for them.

I am really glad to read about your experience with your girl cat putting her feet in the litter and figuring it out on her own when you moved onto green. I have been reluctant to move onto green because she won't position properly without a cardboard barrier forcing her to, but I think I might just take the plunge and try her out on green to see if she will figure it out herself!

Thanks so much for your feedback!
    Old March 20th 2010, 02:44 AM
    Site Admin

Default Week 15

Friday March 12
    Fry defecated in the LK shortly after the 10pm feeding. What a relief! It wasn't easy though: Fry headed to the bathroom, but after scratching around in the LK he gave up and started scratching on the bathroom floor. My boyfriend put him back on the LK and the routine repeated itself half a dozen times before Fry finally went. The problem is obviously the barrier, as each time Fry scratched most of the litter would disappear behind the barrier, at which point he would give up. This makes me worry for the future when we start trying to wean them off litter entirely on green.

Saturday March 13
    Accident-free day.

Sunday March 14
    Accident-free day.

Monday March 15
    Accident-free day. Fry defecated in the LK shortly after the 10pm feeding. He scratched in all the corners of the bathroom until we lifted the barrier for him, and then he dove straight into the LK and went without fuss.

Tuesday March 16
    Accident-free day. Majel defecated in the LK around noon.

Wednesday March 17
    Accident-free day.

Thursday March 18
    Accident-free day. Fry defecated in the LK shortly after the 10pm feeding. After he gave up on the LK the first time I just lifted the barrier for him and he dove right in and went immediately. I hate to get him into the habit of only going without the barrier, but he obviously hates it. We're having houseguests from Saturday until Tuesday, so hopefully he can go accident-free until then when we will set up Majel's pee-cam and take down the barrier.

Three paws on the rim. Fry used to do four before Majel's barrier went up.

Last edited by Aurora : November 16th 2010 at 03:31 PM. Reason: added photo
    Old March 30th 2010, 03:59 AM
    Site Admin

Default Week 16

Friday March 19
    Accident-free day.

Saturday March 20
    Majel defecated in the LK sometime before the 10pm feeding. Fry also defecated, but it was before we knew Majel had already gone, so the LK wasn’t clean and Fry went on the floor in front of the toilet. An accident on our part.

Sunday March 21
    Accident-free day.

Monday March 22
    Accident-free day.

Tuesday March 23
    Fry was scratching on the bathroom floor this morning after the 10pm feeding, so I lifted Majel's barrier for him and he defecated immediately in the LK. I think it would be better if he learned to go in the LK regardless of any obstacles he might perceive, but I just didn't have the patience to potty dance with him for half an hour.

Wednesday March 24
    Accident-free day.

Thursday March 25
    Majel defecated in the LK in the early afternoon. I finally saw Fry drinking water for the first time since switching them to the natural diet - I'm sure he does drink more often than that, but it is a rare occurrence. It's satisfying to see they are getting their thirst needs met more naturally with the homemade food. Fry's drinking was brought on by his hour-long play session with their new cat toy: the Bergan Turbo Scratcher.

Remove the barrier for Fry and he will express his thanks by flinging litter everywhere and going without doing the potty dance for half an hour.

Last edited by Aurora : November 16th 2010 at 03:33 PM. Reason: added photo
    Old April 3rd 2010, 04:17 PM
    Site Admin

Default Week 17

Friday March 26
    I got home around midnight and shortly thereafter Fry started scratching on the bed. I brought him to the LK and after he jumped down once I lifted the barrier for him and he defecated immediately.

Saturday March 27
    Accident-free day.

Sunday March 28
    Accident-free day.

Monday March 29
    Accident-free day, although both cats drove me bonkers after midnight by running around the house, meowing, and faking in the LK. It seemed like they both had to go, but neither did.

Tuesday March 30
    Fry defecated in the LK this morning before the 10am feeding. He alternated scratching in the LK with scratching in every part of the bathroom before he finally hit the point of no return and dropped it in the LK.

Wednesday March 31
    Accident-free day.

Thursday April 1
    Majel finally defecated today in the late afternoon. It's been a week! She didn't seem to be in any distress, but now that she's gone she looks a lot slimmer. I attribute this mostly to their natural diet and partly to her constant reluctance to use the LK. Since we started her and Fry on the LK the day we brought them home, I wonder if this reluctance is due to the LK itself or if she generally dislikes sharing a toileting area with another cat, which is a new experience for her.

Majel continues to position properly with great reluctance and great diligence every day.

Last edited by Aurora : November 16th 2010 at 03:36 PM. Reason: added photo
    Old April 9th 2010, 03:44 PM
    Site Admin

Default Week 18

Friday April 2
    We switched to the intermediate green disk this afternoon but put the amber disk down into the toilet bowl with litter in it. Fry urinated in the LK in the evening without much fuss. Majel had already gone this morning before I changed the disks so she probably won't be making its acquintance until sometime tomorrow. The bedroom door was left open tonight for five minutes while we were taking out the garbage and Fry defecated on the bed. The LitterKwitter was undisturbed, so this seems like another instance of him "forgetting" about the litter and scratching on the bed, only this time we weren't there to remind him. It's so frustrating to not even be able to slip up on keeping the doors closed for five minutes!

Saturday April 3
    I think Majel used the green disk to urinate, but I'm not 100% sure. If she did, it was without any hesitation and would be great news.

Sunday April 4
    We witnessed Majel using the green disk to urinate without any fuss! We took the amber disk out of the toilet bowl and Fry urinated in the LK with no problems tonight.

Monday April 5
    Majel has been balking at using the LK all day, so I finally put the amber disk back down into the toilet bowl tonight. After a few more fake outs, she used the LK perfectly. I took the amber disk out to clean it and am going to try using just the intermediate green disk again.

Tuesday April 6
    Fry urinated without fuss with just the intermediate green disk early this morning. But after the 10am feeding he spent the rest of the morning scratching on the bed, scratching all around the bathroom, and jumping down when he was put on the LK. He finally squatted while scratching in the bathroom, so I picked him up and put him on the LK, where he continued defecating. He didn't go as much as I was expecting, so I wonder if he actually interrupted himself and will go more later. Majel did a fakeout in the LK once today, and left it alone the rest of the day. Since she hasn't been trying, I haven't put the amber disk back in.

Wednesday April 7
    Majel spent all morning trying and giving up on the LK with just the intermediate green disk. Her attempts were coming closer and closer together, so she obviously had to really go. We put the amber disk back in the bottom of the toilet bowl, but it didn't seem to make a difference for her. We took it back out again and then lifted the barrier - that was the ticket and she defecated immediately with perfect positioning using just the intermediate green disk! We left the barrier up and she returned shortly after to urinate, but was about to use her old squatting in the litter position, so I hurriedly put the barrier back down and she then urinated with correct form. I'd say Majel has learned how to fully use the intermediate green disk now, but Fry has yet to master it for defecating, seeing as I had to put him on it mid-poo yesterday.

Thursday April 8
    Both cats had to go tonight after the 10pm feeding. Since they were taking turns doing fakeouts in the LK, we took the barrier off. Majel finally urinated - using her incorrect squatting position. Meanwhile, Fry was frantically scratching all over the bathroom. Everytime I put him on the LK he would stick his head down into the bowl, paw the water, and then jump off to go scratch in another corner of the bathroom. I finally had to catch him as he was squatting and put him on the LK in mid-poo again. With the new green disk, it seems he has taken his occasional aversion to defecating in the LK to a complete refusal, although he still urinates 100% of the time on the LK.

I wish we had the luxury of having a second LitterKwitter system for our other bathroom: Majel would certainly benefit from not being harassed in the bathroom by Fry, and we could try more aversion tactics on Fry if he had his own bathroom.

Now on the first green disk! Sort of.

Last edited by Aurora : November 16th 2010 at 03:37 PM. Reason: added photo
    Old April 16th 2010, 04:23 PM
    Site Admin

Default Week 19

Friday April 9
    Our latest idea is to remove the barrier altogether. Fry has hated the barrier from day one and it has increased the frequency of his accidents; Majel has demonstrated that she will use her incorrect squatting form without it, but that she can easily revert to the correct form if we put it back. Hopefully removing the barrier will encourage Fry to become comfortable with the LK again, and we can bring the barrier back when we move to the white rim where Majel will have no choice but to stop squatting in the litter. After the barrier came down, Fry urinated in the LK and shortly thereafter Majel defecated in it.

Saturday April 10
    Accident-free day. Majel continues to use her incorrect squatting form when urinating in the LK, but at least with the intermediate green disk it is still all going into the toilet and she doesn't get her butt covered in urine anymore.

Sunday April 11
    Fry started scratching on the bed tonight after the 10pm feeding. I brought him to the bathroom and he began scratching on the floor as usual. Every time I would put him on the LK, he would stick his head in the hole, paw the water, and then jump down without even scratching the litter. He did this several times, so I decided to put the amber disk back on. Fry did the same thing with the amber disk: he put his head in the hole, pawed the water, and then returned to scratching on the bathroom floor without even investigating the litter in the LK. His behaviour gave me the idea to put the red disk back on - and it worked! He started scratching in the litter immediately and then promptly defecated into the middle of the red disk.

I put the intermediate green disk back in and Majel later defecated with it. I'll only put the red disk on when Fry is due to defecate and hope he becomes comfortable again with using the toilet to defecate. Majel urinates and defecates using the intermediate green disk. Fry urinates with it, no problem. I guess we're at 75% success? I can't believe we're back at red, sort of!

Monday April 12
    Accident-free day.

Tuesday April 13
    Accident-free day.

Wednesday April 14
    Fry started scratching on the couch and then the bed this morning after the 10am feeding. I swapped out the intermediate green disk for the red one, then brought him to the LK. He furiously scratched around in it and then defecated immediately. I showed him that I put the waste into the toilet, although I'm pretty sure he didn't make any kind of connection at all.

Around the time of his evening pee, he started scratching on the bed! I brought him to the LK but he scratched around and gave up. I put him up again, and he scratched around but this time it was in the manner of covering something instead of digging. I am really hoping that the bathroom is just due for a cleaning and that Fry isn't going to start avoiding the toilet for urinating too. He later urinated in the LK without a fuss.

Thursday April 15
    Majel defecated in the LK tonight sometime in the evening. We didn't hear her, but as usual she got it all in the toilet, along with all the litter. Fry surprised me by starting to dig on the bathroom floor tonight - he defecated yesterday and he'd just urinated as well. Turns out he had to defecate, and as soon as he saw me put in the red disk he jumped up by himself and went immediately. It's good that he knows to go in the red disk, but bad that he knows not to go in the green disk.

Now on the first green disk and no longer on the barrier in an attempt to solve Fry's aversion to pooping in the toilet. One step forward, another back.

Last edited by Aurora : November 16th 2010 at 03:42 PM. Reason: added photo
    Old April 24th 2010, 02:51 AM
    Site Admin

Default Week 20

Friday April 16
    Fry was scratching around in all the wrong places this evening, so I put the intermediate amber disk on the toilet, expecting he had to defecate. He soon stopped scratching around though, and a couple hours later he urinated in the amber disk, which I'd forgotten to switch back out. He did not defecate today after all. I washed down the whole bathroom today.

Saturday April 17
    The intermediate green disk was back on the toilet today, and happily Fry urinated with it this morning as usual. Majel defecated tonight in two rounds.

Sunday April 18
    Fry urinated in the LK this morning and then shortly after the 10am feeding he started making his bathroom meows again, so I knew he had to defecate. This time I swapped out the intermediate green for the intermediate amber disk, and I put the red disk down into the toilet bowl. Fry jumped up onto the LK himself, and when he saw the hole he stuck his paw through as usual. This time he didn't find any water though, so he decided it was okay and started digging furiously in the litter before finally defecating.

Monday April 19
    Accident-free day.

Tuesday April 20
    Accident-free day.

Wednesday April 21
    Fry was doing his bathroom meowing while my boyfriend and I were making dinner. He usually urinates in the morning and at night, so I figured he must have to defecate. I checked on him but he was just sitting around and not scratching anywhere, so I went back to the kitchen. Just before we sat down to eat, I decided to switch the intermediate green disk for the amber disk in case Fry was going to defecate soon. However, when I walked into the bathroom, I found Fry trying to bury the feces he'd just left on the floor in front of the toilet! There was urine in the LK which I'm sure was Fry's, although I don't know when he did it since I was out all day and forgot to check the LK when I came home. It's unusual for him to urinate during the day unless he also has to defecate, so I wonder if he actually gave the LK a try for defecating before using the floor. Shame on me for not checking the LK and for not paying more attention to Fry's potty dance. I told him "No!" when I found him trying to bury the feces and then showed him that I put the waste into the toilet. We ignored him all evening and will not give him any attention until he next uses the LK correctly which will probably be for tomorrow morning's pee - he definitely feels the cold shoulder, but I don't think he understands that urinating and defecating are related.

Thursday April 22
    Accident-free day.

Without the barrier, Majel is back to her old form, but at least she's consistent.

Last edited by Aurora : November 16th 2010 at 03:43 PM. Reason: added photo
    Old April 30th 2010, 03:27 PM
    Site Admin

Default Week 21

Friday April 23
    Majel defecated in the LK this morning before the 10am feeding with only one round of faking. Fry watched her go, so maybe he'll learn something. Shortly after she was done, Fry jumped up to urinate and didn't seem to care that Majel had removed all of the litter.

Saturday April 24
    Accident-free day.

Sunday April 25
    This morning Fry started scratching around on the bed and the bathroom floor, so we put the intermediate amber disk on the toilet with the red disk down in the toilet bowl. As soon as he saw the switch had been made, he jumped up, dug furiously, and then defecated.

Monday April 26
    Majel defecated in the LK tonight shortly after the 10pm feeding. The combination of just being fed and just clearing the pipes made her super playful, which was a delight since she is a fairly quiet cat.

Tuesday April 27
    Accident-free day.

Wednesday April 28
    Fry scratched around a little bit on the bathroom floor in the early evening. Expecting he had to defecate, I switched out the intermediate green disk for the intermediate amber and put the red disk down into the toilet. He jumped up but proceeded to urinate! My boyfriend cleaned it out and I left the two disks on while we were out for the evening. When we came back, the LK was untouched but there was feces in the shower stall! We had been keeping the shower door closed since the toilet training started, but apparently tonight it wasn't latched tight. Still, if Fry hadn't gone there, he would have gone somewhere else. Fry is not returning to past accident sites, he is simply not using the LK to defecate. I'm not sure what to do next.

Thursday April 29
    Fry urinated in the LK this morning with the intermediate green disk. I'm so happy that he still urinates in the LK at least. Every time I have to scoop out a disk, I'm reminded why I'm doing the toilet training. But the process is still frustrating!

The kitty cam, aka the PPTV, lets us monitor the cats (i.e. Majel) without disturbing them. It also gives us ears in the bathroom in case they (i.e. Fry) are scratching around on the floor.

Last edited by Aurora : November 16th 2010 at 03:46 PM. Reason: added photo
    Old May 7th 2010, 03:07 PM
    Site Admin

Default Week 22

Friday April 30
    Accident-free day.

Saturday May 1
    Fry urinated in the LK before the 10am feeding. After the 10am feeding, he started doing his bathroom meowing and wandered around randomly scratching in places. He jumped onto the LK with the intermediate green disk and scratched around, but it quickly turned into burying scratches and he jumped down. It was really encouraging to see he'd actually considered using the LK to defecate, so I decided to put the regular amber disk on and also not put the red disk in the bowl. As soon as I filled the amber disk with litter, Fry jumped up, dug to China, and defecated without fuss. Good boy! Majel didn't do anything all day, but after the 10pm feeding she urinated and shortly thereafter defecated without much ado.

Sunday May 2
    Accident-free day.

Monday May 3
    Accident-free day.

Tuesday May 4
    Majel woke us up at 5am when she started her first of several rounds of fake outs in the LK. After refilling the tray with litter and sweeping the floor several times, she finally defecated and I got to go back to bed. It's Fry's day to poo (what have I become?), so after he peed tonight I switched out the intermediate green disk for the regular amber disk. After the 10pm feeding he started scratching on the bed, but got a firm NO! He headed to the bathroom and got some more no's before he jumped onto the LK, did several laps digging around the disk, and defecated.

Wednesday May 5
    Accident-free day. Majel scratched around in the litter last night after the 10pm feeding, which is not in her usual schedule, but she didn't do anything.

Thursday May 6
    Accident-free day.

Since the PPTV is supposed to help us disturb the cats less, I took a picture of it instead of them.

Last edited by Aurora : November 16th 2010 at 03:48 PM. Reason: added photo
    Old May 15th 2010, 04:42 AM
    Site Admin

Default Week 23

Friday May 7
    Accident-free day.

Saturday May 8
    Fry was doing his bathroom meowing around noon today, but he wasn't scratching around anywhere. At one point he dug a little bit in the intermediate green disk, but gave up and returned to his occasional bathroom meowing. I finally decided to switch over to the amber disk, and as soon as I did, he jumped up, dug to his heart's content, and then defecated.

Sunday May 9
    Majel didn't go at all yesterday, so at 5am this morning she woke us up by scratching around in the LK. She finally urinated, I cleaned up, and went back to bed. A minute later she was back in the LK, presumably to defecate. My boyfriend took this shift, and he reports that she dropped one bullet - seemingly accidentally, she does that sometimes - while digging around. After that one bullet, Fry came into the bathroom and scared her away and she hasn't come back to finish yet.

Monday May 10
    Majel urinated late in the morning today as per her usual schedule, but she waited until after the 10pm feeding tonight to "finish" defecating from yesterday. It was a large amount so I'm sure she's done this time.

Tuesday May 11
    I knew today was Fry's poo day, so after both cats had done their morning urinating, I swapped out the intermediate disk for the amber disk. Unfortunately I also left the bedroom door open for awhile and Fry took the opportunity to defecate on the bed again, without even looking at the LK. Since I didn't catch him in the act, I can't punish him directly. I decided to lock him in the bedroom with his mess for awhile so he could vainly attempt to bury it and learn that this is the wrong place to eliminate.

Wednesday May 12
    Fry didn't urinate yesterday evening, but at 6am we learned that at least he hadn't gone somewhere else - he got on the LK and urinated for a looooooooong time. I don't know why he changed his schedule like that. He didn't urinate this evening either.

Thursday May 13
    Fry urinated this morning before the 10am feeding, but it took him a few rounds on the LK - and one half-hearted round of scratching on the floor in front of the toilet - before he got back up and urinated correctly. I wish I knew what was going on with his change in habits. He doesn't seem like he's in distress. The only currently different thing - other than the fact that he is still a growing kitten - is that he has had a scratched eye for the past couple days that is taking its sweet time getting better.

I put litter attractant in the LK this evening for the first time. When Fry found it during his evening pee, he took a few minutes just sitting there smelling it, but eventually he began digging and then urinated. As soon as I'd cleaned up, Majel jumped up and began digging and then defecated.

Fry on Saturday. Not Fry on Tuesday.

Last edited by Aurora : November 16th 2010 at 03:50 PM. Reason: added photo