• Back to Homepage
  • Doogie's LITTER KWITTER Forums - The Place for Cat Toilet Training  
    Old December 19th 2009, 05:32 AM
    Site Admin

Default 2 New Cats and 1 New LitterKwitter

My boyfriend and I just adopted two cats and we have started them out on the LitterKwitter immediately. I decided to keep a record of their progress. Here is the first week:

Friday, December 4
    We brought home two cats tonight! Majel is 2 years old and Fry is a 4 month old kitten. They are both a bit stressed and Majel hisses at Fry every time he approaches her to play. The LitterKwitter is in a shallow box on the floor beside the toilet, filled with flushable clumping wheat litter. Accident-free day with both cats using the LK. Kitties spend the night in the bathroom with their carriers/beds, scratching pad, food and water.

Saturday, December 5
    Accident-free day. We have decided to feed them at 10am and 10pm, plus an extra feeding for Fry at 4pm. The kitties spend the night in the bathroom.

Sunday, December 6
    Accident-free day. Every day Majel and Fry are more comfortable with us, their new house, and each other. They already act completely at home and are playing together more and more. The kitties spend the night in the bathroom.

Monday, December 7
    Fry defecated on the bed sometime this evening. I washed the LK, which was admittedly pretty dirty with several clumps stuck to the plastic underneath the fresh litter. Kitties spent the night in the bathroom until 3:30am when they heard us talking and really wanted to be let out.

Tuesday, December 8
    Accident-free day. Kitties no longer spending the night in the bathroom.

Wednesday, December 9
    Fry peed on the bed sometime after 10pm. This was kind of weird because we knew he'd already peed in the LK immediately after the 10pm feeding. How did we know? Because we heard him go and then he came running to us with his paws covered in urine. We cleaned him up, but delayed cleaning of the LK for half an hour, assuming he was done. He may have used the bed at this point. While we were cleaning the LK he started scratching on the bed, a sign he has to defecate. We rushed to put him in the clean LK, and he used it just fine, but kicked litter everywhere as usual. We discovered the urine on the bed at midnight. The LK is now directly on the floor with no box. We've decided to clean the LK every day (using hot soapy water) and close the doors to the bedrooms when we're not using them.

Thursday, December 10
    Accident-free day. There was urine and feces left in the LK last night, but after scooping it out this morning I became anxious when nobody used the LK all day. Fry finally used it before the 10pm feeding, and Majel followed shortly after the feeding. I don't really know their toilet patterns yet - sometimes they toilet shortly after feeding, and sometimes it takes hours.

Starting out the LitterKwitter in a box beside the toilet. I wanted to simulate a litter tray so our new cats would feel more comfortable in their new environment.

Last edited by Aurora : November 13th 2010 at 01:41 AM. Reason: added photo
    Old December 19th 2009, 05:34 AM
    Site Admin

Default Week 2

Friday, December 11
    Another accident-free day, so this afternoon I moved the LK up off the floor onto a box weighted with a few phonebooks (for maximum stability) - it is up about halfway between the rim and the floor now.

Saturday, December 12
    I was out for the morning and afternoon, so it was my boyfriend's job to scrub out the LK. He reports that after he scooped out the LK and flushed it away, he emptied the rest of the litter into a plastic bag and set it down. While washing the LK, Fry jumped into the plastic bag, started digging frantically and then defecated right in the bag! Maybe he had been holding it because the LK needed cleaning? As soon as my boyfriend finished cleaning and refilling the LK, Majel jumped in to urinate before he'd even finished placing it back on the phonebooks beside the toilet! Maybe they were both holding it, or maybe it was just toilet time. Other than the plastic bag incident, it was an accident-free day.

Sunday, December 13
    Accident-free day. Majel hasn't eaten much at her feedings in the last 24 hours, and her last bowel movement was I think a couple days ago and was very hard. Both cats were on dry food before we got them and we have transitioned them over to a grain-free wet food in the last week, although Fry still gets dry food at his 4pm feeding (and Majel gets a tiny bit as well so she doesn't feel left out). I wonder if the new diet is the cause of Majel's problem (or if she even has a real problem yet, as cats supposedly defecate less on a high-quality meat diet). I was going to move the LK onto the toilet tomorrow from its current position halfway between the rim and the floor, but I think I'll leave it for a couple days until Majel is more regular.

Monday, December 14
    Accident-free day. Cleaning the LK every day with hot soapy water seems to be doing the trick for Fry's fastidiousness. As always, there is litter kicked up everywhere around the toilet and the bathroom, so I keep a broom and dustpan in the bathroom - they really don't show you that side of things in advertising the LK. Fry had diarrhea this morning (but in the LK!) and Majel still hasn't defecated, so I gave them both some canned pumpkin with their 4pm and 10pm feedings. Somebody defecated in the LK in the late evening, and Majel is all of a sudden much peppier and playful, so I'm hoping it was her.

Tuesday, December 15
    The canned pumpkin seems to be helping both Fry and Majel, and I was tired of trying to sweep up litter from around the makeshift phonebook stacker, so after giving the LK its daily washing this afternoon I moved it up onto the toilet. I had to play around with combinations of clips to get it to fit firmly. I put Fry in the LK to show him its new placement, and he urinated in it immediately. Half an hour later he found it on his own and defecated in it.

After reading the forums, I decided to ward off the possible problem of the cats going on the floor around the toilet: I've put random stuff all around the back and sides of the toilet to block it off. An unused clean recycling bin placed upside down beside the toilet serves as both a stepping stool for the cats to get onto the toilet and as a means to block that side off. Both cats get lots of praise, affection or kitty treats after we find them using the LK, although we don't go overboard so as to invade their privacy, and they obviously don't get anything when they use it at night while we're sleeping. An accident-free day, although I have yet to see Majel use it.

Wednesday, December 16
    Accident-free day. The LK gets a lot of use overnight, but I can never be sure it's Majel. I found her using it this morning to urinate, so she got a treat and lots of praise. She used it to defecate sometime in the evening, so that means both kitties are using the LK on the toilet, yay!

Thursday, December 17
    Accident-free day. Majel does not like to be seen by me while using the LK, but apparently she uses it in front of my boyfriend. If I come into the bathroom while she's there, she stops using the LK and leaves, then returns later. The continued success of both cats is very encouraging, but I don't want to get ahead of myself (or them), so I am going to wait at least a week before moving any further than the red disk.

After six days the LitterKwitter moved to the floor without a box to simulate a litter tray. Two days after that I moved it a few inches up off the floor. Over the course of four days it was raised to the height of the toilet.

Last edited by Aurora : November 13th 2010 at 01:49 AM. Reason: added photo
    Old December 20th 2009, 03:32 AM
    Site Admin

Friday, December 18
    This morning after the 10am feeding, I heard Majel scratching the white rim of the LK in her usual vain attempts to bury. When I went in later to clean up, I discovered the white rim had poopy paw marks on it, and while most of the feces was in the LK and buried, some of it was on the floor and some of it was on the stepstool beside the toilet. I think that the feces got thrown there by the digging, and hopefully not by Majel defecating outside the LK. Both Fry and Majel have had poopy paws incidents now, simply because the LK is so much smaller than a regular litter box.

The rest of the day was worse. Sometime in the afternoon, someone urinated on the white rim and most of it dripped down to the floor beside the toilet. I think this may have been because the plastic box that is beside the toilet (as a blocking mechanism around the toilet and as a stepstool) is exactly the same height as the toilet - I figure someone stood at least partially on the box to urinate and not in the LK. The box is now replaced with different, shorter blocking items in place.

Also tonight right before bed I scooped out the litter and while I was scooping the bedroom door was left open for 5 minutes. You can see where this is going ... Fry came into the bathroom while I was scooping and sniffed the LK, but he is always curious about what people are doing and wasn't acting any differently, so I thought he was just investigating. Turns out he needed to use the LK and when he found it being used by me he went and urinated on the bed. This raises the problem of what are the cats supposed to do if one of them is using the LK when the other has to go? I have only had outdoor cats before now, so I don't even know what normally happens if one cat is in the litterbox and the other wants to use it.
    Old December 27th 2009, 03:33 AM
    Site Admin

Default Week 3

Saturday, December 19
    Another discouraging day! I wonder if the cats are stressed out because my boyfriend left town for the holidays on Thursday. It feels like all I did today was clean the LK: it was full when I woke up, so I scooped it out. I scooped it twice more during the day. When Fry then defecated in it, I gave myself half an hour to clean it up for maximum clumping and because I just didn't want to scoop again! That was a mistake ... because at some point Majel came in and defecated in a cardboard scratching pad that was on the floor in the bathroom (such a rookie mistake for me to have left that in the bathroom). So I cleaned everything up and gave the LK its daily scrubbing with hot soapy water and a vinegar rinse. Fry came up to investigate while I was cleaning the LK, and since I'd learned from yesterday I hurriedly put it back on the toilet and filled it with litter. He urinated in it immediately, so another scooping session, sigh. Oh yeah, and while I was downstairs cleaning the LK, the cats were upstairs in the kitchen stealing food off the counter! They just took it up a notch in this battle of wills.

Sunday, December 20
    Accident-free day, but I am now paranoid about the cats not choosing the LK so I scoop as soon as I know it needs it, including at 1:30am if the scratching wakes me up. Also continuing with the daily washing of the LK and keeping the bedroom doors closed when I'm not in them.

Monday, December 21
    Accident-free day.

Tuesday, December 22
    Accident-free day.

Wednesday, December 23
    Accident-free day.

Thursday, December 24
    Accident-free day. I've discovered that if I leave the middle of the red disk empty of litter, both cats will eliminate in it more often than not, which cuts down on the amount of litter-flinging they do when digging a hole to deposit their waste into.

Friday, December 25
    Merry Christmas! I fed the cats this morning and scooped out the LK before going to spend Christmas morning with my mother and brother. I returned in the afternoon to feed them again and scoop and wash the LK. Then I went to my aunt's for Christmas dinner - the cats were alone for about 10 hours when I returned to a full LK, but no accidents!

Having a stepstool so the cats can jump onto it first to check out the litter is vital to their sense of security. But I learned that having a stepstool the same height as the toilet is just asking them to poop on the stepstool!

Last edited by Aurora : November 13th 2010 at 01:55 AM. Reason: added photo
    Old January 2nd 2010, 02:28 AM
    Site Admin

Default Week 4

Saturday, December 26
    Accident-free day.

Sunday, December 27
    Accident-free day. I think that the cats are more than ready to move on from the red stage, but I am desperate to avoid all possible negative experiences. Therefore, I decided to order the intermediate disks. My boyfriend returns tonight which will be another adjustment to the cats' routine, so I will wait until they have settled back in with him and the intermediate disks have arrived before moving on from the red stage. Fry was scratching on the bed tonight as my boyfriend and I were getting ready for bed. I picked him up and took him to the LK and he defecated in it immediately. I don't know what that was about as he didn't even check out the LK before scratching on the bed.

Monday, December 28
    Majel urinated in the LK today, but while most of the urine was in the center of the red disk, a bit of it was on the white rim and on the floor in front of the toilet. I have no idea how this would have happened - did she turn around to start burying before she'd finished urinating?

Tuesday, December 29
    Accident-free day.

Wednesday, December 30
    My boyfriend woke up this morning before me and scooped out the LK. But when I woke up there was urine on the bed! I had heard Fry scratching around at the bottom of the bed at some point after my boyfriend woke up, but when I looked down I saw Fry tumbling off the end of the bed so I thought he was just playing around ... guess not. My boyfriend admits he forgot to leave the bathroom door open while showering, so I'm assuming that was when Fry urinated on the bed. Fry used the LK later in the morning to defecate, but then this evening he was scratching on the bed again and would have gone if I hadn't hurriedly taken him to the LK. I wonder if it is the disruption of my boyfriend being back or if he has some new dislike of the LK.

Thursday, December 31
    My boyfriend woke up before me and scooped out the LK from the previous night. Fry urinated in the LK shortly thereafter. But shortly thereafter that, he came up on the bed (that I was still sleeping in) and started scratching! I woke up immediately and gently knocked him over, because I wasn't quite sure he wasn't just playing. He jumped right up and started scratching again so I again knocked him over. I did this with him twice more until he jumped off the bed and ran out of the room; seconds later I heard him scratching in the LK to defecate. I don't understand why he is alternating between the bed and the LK.

We went out to a New Year's Eve party and when we returned there was a trail of smeared feces from the LK across the bathroom floor - someone (looks like Fry) had got poopy paws again in their attempts to bury.

The LitterKwitter setup becomes more elaborate to provide a stepstool and block off possible accident areas.

Last edited by Aurora : November 13th 2010 at 01:58 AM. Reason: added photo
    Old January 10th 2010, 09:04 AM
    Site Admin

Default Week 5

Friday, January 1
    Accident-free day.

Saturday, January 2
    I thought we'd had another accident-free day until it was an hour past my bedtime and I was giving the LK a last scooping before going to bed. As I left the bathroom I heard Fry scratching in the livingroom. I prayed that it would be his pre-elimination scratch, but unfortunately it was post-elimination - he'd just urinated on the couch (the bedroom door was closed)! The reason I was scooping out the LK was because Majel had just urinated in it while I was in the bathroom brushing my teeth. Fry had come in after her and further buried her waste, but now I wonder if he had also been looking to go himself (so he either thought the LK was too soiled or too occupied by my scooping when he went to the couch). To avoid further accidents, we have now decided that we will keep Fry in the bathroom with us any time we are scooping or cleaning the LK.

I discovered today why Majel sometimes gets a bit of urine on the white rim and on the floor in front of the toilet. She usually urinates into the middle of the red disk and fills it right up with liquid. As she is squatting over the urine-filled hole, some of it gets on the fur on her bottom, which drips off when she turns around to bury. This problem should solve itself when we move onto using the disks with the holes.

Sunday, January 3
    As my boyfriend and I were getting ready for bed around 11pm, I noticed the LK needed scooping. I told my boyfriend to keep an eye on Fry while I scooped, and only 5 seconds into the scooping I heard "uh oh". Turns out Fry had already peed on the couch at some point after the 10pm feeding. I guess he didn't like that there was already urine in the LK. It is so frustrating to have Fry's accidents increase like this when he started out so well! I don't think that he is preferentially choosing the couch (or the bed) - I think the real problem is he is choosing NOT to use the LK, but I don't know why.

Monday, January 4
    Nobody used the LK all night, but Fry went right to it after the 10am feeding and urinated in it. I praised him and then scooped it out immediately. A few minutes later I saw Fry wandering around the livingroom, pawing a little bit on the couch, then pawing on the floor, then searching the shelves, and meowing all the while. I brought him to the LK and he defecated in it. He obviously has a real problem with the LK right now. After I scooped out Fry's feces, Majel went into the bathroom and scratched around in the LK but didn't do anything. Then she started meowing while pacing the bathroom. This is very strange behaviour from Majel who has been a star with her one accident compared to Fry's many. Placing her onto the LK several times did nothing, so I decided to wash the LK, but just as I was about to start Majel jumped into the bathtub and began scratching. I hurriedly put the LK back onto the toilet and filled it with fresh litter. That did the trick because she then defecated in the LK.

So now we have two cats who are balking at using the LK - is one of them being a copycat or are they both experiencing a genuine problem? Today I'm going to scrub the LK, scrub the toilet, and wash out the entire bathroom so we can start fresh and hopefully that, along with the holidays being over and a regular routine returning, will solve the problem. Majel and Fry both urinated in the LK without issue after my cleaning session, but after the 10pm feeding Fry started scratching on the couch again! I brought him to the LK and he defecated in it. I can't figure out why Fry sometimes chooses the LK and sometimes seems to completely forget it exists - there doesn't seem to be any consistency to his usage.

Tuesday, January 5
    Somebody urinated in the LK overnight and my boyfriend scooped it this morning. Fry then defecated in the LK after the 10am feeding. Majel came and buried Fry's feces even further, which is unusual for her, but I think it indicated that she had to go, so I quickly scooped it and then she urinated in the LK. Both cats used the LK with no problems over the rest of the day and evening for urinating and defecating, even with a visit to the vet for both of them in the afternoon. Good kitties!

Wednesday, January 6
    Accident-free day.

Thursday, January 7
    Accident-free day.

Fry masters the red disk. I think we're ready to move to the intermediate amber disk from the MultiKat Kit.

Last edited by Aurora : November 13th 2010 at 02:33 AM. Reason: added photo
    Old January 16th 2010, 02:29 AM
    Site Admin

Default Week 6

Friday, January 8
    Accident-free day.

Saturday, January 9
    Accident-free day.

Sunday, January 10
    Accident-free day.

Monday, January 11
    Today was the first day with the intermediate amber disk. Fry was curious about the hole and spent a lot of time looking down it and sticking his paw through it, but he eventually urinated in the LK this morning, just not in the centre. Nobody used the LK for the rest of the day until Fry defecated in it after the 10pm feeding. Majel still hadn't gone and we found her searching the house and crying; it was obvious she had to go but no matter how many times we put her on the LK the most she would do was scratch around and send half the clean litter down the hole. I tried putting toilet paper on the water and a bunch of litter on top of that, but the hole was still upsetting her. It was bedtime so I eventually gave up and put the red disk underneath the amber disk. Majel scratched the litter around until you couldn't tell there was a hole there at all and then she urinated in the LK.

Tuesday, January 12
    Fry urinated in the LK this morning and my boyfriend scooped it out before I woke up. After the 10am feeding, Fry defecated in the LK. I brought both cats into the bathroom with me while I scooped it. After scooping, I removed the red disk from underneath the amber so there was a hole to the toilet again. Majel got on the LK but all she did was scratch and then jump down and begin to pace around the bathroom crying. I put the red disk back underneath the amber but she still wouldn't use the LK so I decided to wash it out. I had just disassembled it when Majel began scratching in the bathtub, so I hurriedly put both disks back and filled it with litter again. She defecates in "bullets", and this time she dropped one into the LK before stopping and repeating her earlier routine of scratching half the litter out onto the floor but not going. I washed the LK and replaced it, and then Fry came and defecated a bit more in it! I scooped that, but Majel was still getting in the LK, scratching the litter about, and not going. So I washed the LK again, and she finally dropped the rest of her bullets into it - right into the center too, but the red disk is still underneath the amber so there is no hole.

Majel went and urinated in the LK before the 4pm feeding, although she again scratched so much litter around she entirely covered the hole to the red disk. Still, she got lots of praise and a treat for that. I scooped it out and while I was doing so Fry started scratching on the floor, so I put the LK back but removed the red disk. Fry immediately urinated into the amber disk and Majel saw the whole thing, including the treat, so I've left just the amber disk in for now. Majel did not go again before I went to bed, so I put the red disk back in overnight.

Wednesday, January 13
    I remove the red disk entirely if I know Fry has to go, and he willingly urinates and defecates in the amber disk. Majel still has not gone in the amber disk without the red disk being immediately underneath the hole. We decided to try leaving the red disk sitting in the toilet bowl and filled with litter for now. This way there is still a hole to the toilet, but it's not so deep and there isn't any water. Majel still didn't go for the rest of the day, so after the 10pm feeding (after which Fry used the LK twice while Majel watched but she still wouldn't use it herself) I poured a bunch more litter onto the red disk down in the toilet bowl. When the mountain of litter came within about an inch of the amber disk hole, Majel defecated in the LK! She got tons of praise, affection and treats for that. Half an hour later she went and used the LK alone and urinated right in the center. Good girl! After cleaning it all up again, the red disk is still in the toilet bowl with a slightly smaller mountain of litter in it.

Thursday, January 14
    Majel did not go all day, although Fry used the LK several times. Majel finally urinated in the LK shortly before bedtime.

Investigating the hole.

Last edited by Aurora : November 13th 2010 at 02:36 AM. Reason: added photo
    Old January 23rd 2010, 02:11 AM
    Site Admin

Default Week 7

Friday January 15
    Majel has not defecated in the LK since January 13. This morning after the 10am feeding Fry was starting to defecate in the LK when I decided to position him over the hole: this was a mistake because as soon as I started to move him he stopped and only defecated a tiny amount and would not go again. I'm anxiously awaiting him to finish and have decided to let the progressive disks with larger holes work out any positioning problems naturally.

Fry urinated in the LK shortly before the 4pm feeding, and then defecated in it shortly after that. After cleaning all that up, Majel defecated in the LK with only the amber disk in! Good kitty! I washed the LK and put in fresh litter. An hour later Majel defecated in the amber disk again! What a good girl! She urinated in it too after the 10pm feeling, so we've said goodbye to the red disk.

Saturday January 16
    Accident-free day.

Sunday January 17
    Accident-free day.

Monday January 18
    Accident-free day.

Tuesday January 19
    Accident-free day.

Wednesday January 20
    Accident-free day.

Thursday January 21
    Accident-free day.

After some initial trepidation, Majel has mastered the intermediate amber disk.

Last edited by Aurora : November 13th 2010 at 02:43 AM. Reason: added photo
    Old January 30th 2010, 02:05 AM
    Site Admin

Default Week 8

Friday January 22
    Early this morning while still in bed I heard someone using the LK. A while later I heard Fry scratching in the LK, and scratching and scratching and scratching. Eventually it stopped, and a few minutes later Fry came into the bedroom and jumped up onto my pillow with poopy paws. I brought him to the bathroom to clean him up and discovered that he'd wanted to use the LK, but since someone had already urinated in it, he'd defecated in the bathtub instead. I'm glad to see that he wasn't choosing to use the bathtub - he was choosing to not use the LK and for good reason. This means that the next time I hear someone scratching in the LK after I know it's already been used, I need to haul my ass out of bed and scoop. I'm also going to wash down the entire bathroom again today.

Saturday January 23
    Accident-free day. It was my turn to wash the LK but I was out quite late and was hoping to push it until the next morning. Fry would have none of that though, as he woke up when I got home and started scratching around in the litter but not going, then scratching around on the floor and in the bathtub. I washed the LK and Fry urinated in it immediately.

Sunday January 24
    Accident-free day.

Monday January 25
    Today was the first day with the second amber disk. I put the new disk in after their 10am feeding. Fry scratched around in the LK a lot but his leg kept falling through the hole and getting wet in the toilet. This happened several times before he jumped down and started scratching in the bathtub. I moved him back to the LK where he would scratch around but then return to the bathtub. I kept putting him back on the LK, scratching in it myself to encourage him, and talking to him in a soothing voice until he finally defecated in it and most of it went down the hole! He got lots of praise and lots of treats for that.

Majel watched the whole thing, and as soon as I scooped out the LK she was in it too. She scratched around a lot, but much less vigorously than Fry so she never slipped down the hole. She finally urinated and got lots of treats too. Over the rest of the day the LK was urinated in about 8 times between Fry and Majel - I have no idea why they urinated so much today. Majel had several sessions where she would scratch around in the LK and then give up and cry, but in each case she eventually returned and urinated. She has not defecated in the new disk yet.

Tuesday January 26
    Fry's leg fell into the toilet again this morning and it discouraged him enough that he started scratching in the bathtub again. I kept putting him back on the LK and soothing him and he finally defecated in it. Since this disk is all about positioning their legs on the rim, we are going to try to position Fry whenever we can. We'll see about Majel's positioning when she's a little more comfortable with using this disk. She finally defecated in the new disk tonight before the 10pm feeding, for which she got soooo many treats.

Wednesday January 27
    Accident-free day, but Majel did not defecate all day. I did the potty dance with both her and Fry at midnight for an hour - Fry scratching in the bathtub and requiring multiple placements on the LK before he would urinate and then shortly thereafter defecate, and Majel scratching and giving up several times until I washed the LK (for the second time that day) which did the trick and she urinated. Obviously neither of them are very comfortable with this new disk.

Thursday January 28
    My boyfriend woke up to Fry scratching in the LK, but when he repositioned him, he stopped and left the LK. He returned to urinate in it about half an hour later. After the 10am feeding, Majel continued to scratch in the LK and give up, although this time she wasn't taking much of a break between sessions which indicated she really had to go. She finally dropped one bullet into the LK! She buried it, I scooped it, and then Fry defecated in the LK. I scooped and then washed the LK after which Majel immediately defecated in the LK with most of it going down the hole. Good girl!

Majel later urinated in the LK and called me down to give her a treat for it ... hmm, we're going to have to curb that behaviour or she'll be waking us up in the middle of the night! Both Fry and Majel continue to do potty dances almost every time they need to go - they scratch and give up and, in Fry's case, turn to the bathtub.

This hole is Fry and Majel's greatest challenge so far: DO NOT LIKE.

Last edited by Aurora : November 16th 2010 at 12:36 PM. Reason: added photo
    Old February 6th 2010, 02:53 AM
    Site Admin

Default Week 9

Friday January 29
    My boyfriend woke up to Fry scratching in the LK, but when he repositioned him, he stopped and left the LK. He returned to defecate in it about half an hour later. After the 10am feeding, Majel went and defecated in the LK and it all went down the hole! After that, she started the scratching and leaving routine again, and so did Fry, so I washed out the LK. Majel urinated in it after that.

Saturday January 30
    My boyfriend and I were in bed this morning when Fry went and urinated in the LK. My boyfriend scooped it out and came back to bed. Shortly thereafter, Fry jumped into bed with us with poopy paws. We hadn't heard him use the LK, and we discovered it was because he'd bypassed it entirely and defecated in the bathtub again. We actively ignored Fry all day until the next time he used the LK successfully after the 4pm feeding - he definitely noticed the effects!

Sunday January 31
    Accident-free day, although we have caught Fry scratching in the bathtub several times and had to move him to the LK.

Monday February 1
    Accident-free day. Fry urinated in the LK this morning, but later when he came back to defecate he headed straight for the bathtub again. Since I know that his routine is almost always to urinate and defecate in the morning shortly after someone wakes up, I was waiting for him. I took him out of the bathtub and put him on the LK (twice) before he finally defecated in it. From now on we're keeping an inch of water in the bathtub to try to break this habit of his.

Majel still takes several sessions scratching around and giving up with the LK before she'll finally go, but tonight she outdid herself and defecated entirely into the hole with no delay. We're like proud parents!

Tuesday February 2
    Accident-free day.

Wednesday February 3
    Fry has been doing extremely well with putting 3 of his paws onto the white rim when he urinates or defecates in the LK. However, Majel puts all 4 of her paws into the litter when she urinates (she does fairly well with positioning while defecating) and right now I'm not sure how to go about changing this behaviour - all of her legs are so splayed out that if I try to move one she'll fall over.

Thursday February 4
    Accident-free day. After Fry had diarrhea this morning (but in the LK!) I thought of an idea that might tone down the cats' litter-flinging tendencies a bit and if it works will also better prepare them for future stages where there is less and less litter: as soon as the cat is done eliminating, I start the lavish praise and immediately call them down off the LK with a treat before they bury their waste. While they're munching the treat, I scoop out the LK. By the time they're done the treat, the waste is cleaned up and there's no reason to dig. This should get them used to not burying, but I don't know what to do yet about the enthusiastic digging they do before they eliminate.

Fry placing three of his paws on the white rim.

Last edited by Aurora : November 16th 2010 at 12:41 PM. Reason: added photo