• Back to Homepage
  • Doogie's LITTER KWITTER Forums - The Place for Cat Toilet Training  
    Old August 22nd 2012, 05:41 AM
    Site Admin

Default Newbie

I have a 16 week old Ragamuffin. She has been in our house for just over a month now. The LK is the only thing she has known as a litter box in our home. She very quickly went from the ground level to the Amber stage on the toilet. She likes to scratch in the litter more before she does her thing than after. She will scratch and throw litter all over the bathroom and continue scratching on the bare plastic ring, but will usually go ahead and use it. I've moved her a couple of times during her business to line her up with the hole and she doesn't seem to mind the help too much. I went ahead and tried the green ring, but she didn't want to have anything to do with it. That is when she had her first accident of 4 now. Since she seems to want that litter, I made a bowl out of a roasting pan that sits down in the toilet, but now that I've found this forum I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thing. It sounds like I should possibly go back to the amber ring and just be more patient; slowly reducing the litter. We'll be going on a week long vacation in October and will have to have someone come in to take care of her. Because of that, I know I've been pushing it a little fast trying to get her to a point that will be easy for someone else to deal with for that week. Any suggestions from those further along in the process?
    Old August 22nd 2012, 02:41 PM
    Site Admin

Sounds like you are doing great.
    I am brand new at this so I am definitely in learning mode also.
    Good luck!
    Old August 23rd 2012, 02:26 PM
    Site Admin

Default Good Tips offered with two links

Hello, I am only a couple months into this, yet read up ahead of time and got some help from others here.
    One thing seems to be true is that you don't reduce litter until kitty is a happy camper on a green stage. I sweep up litter off the floor twice daily. I was glad I got the Multi-Cat Kit for our single kitty, Koba. He ain't crazy about change and needed a slower process on enlarging holes. You may consider the "cardboard" method of making the orange hole smaller. If you little one is wild scratching litter, pay attention to see if she is stressed in the orange stage even though she is getting her job done. If that is the case maybe shrink that hole in the orange stage and slow that down some till she is a little more calm. I prefer using plastic instead of cardboard to shrink the hole, due to not holding liquid and can clean it easier. Every time I asked Koba to use a larger hole, he was stressed and took it out on the litter and eventually chilled. I would then wait a week or so and only made a change on a weekend when I had time to observe.

Here is one link I liked because it slowed down my expectations and really helped me see things on our Koba's level:
    http://www.litterkwitter.com/forums/...ead.php?t=2345

Next one is from a real hero on this site. She has been dedicated to being of service to us newbies. Her name is Norwegiangirl85 and she sent me this:

Here is a thread with all the info beginners should read before starting this:
    http://www.litterkwitter.com/forums/...ead.php?t=3095

Good Luck
    Jon

Last edited by Koba : August 23rd 2012 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Link was wrong