• Back to Homepage
  • Doogie's LITTER KWITTER Forums - The Place for Cat Toilet Training  

Go Back   Doogie's LITTER KWITTER Forums - The Place for Cat Toilet Training > TOILET TRAINING CHAT > General Training Issues - Red, Amber and Green stages
    Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How much time did you spend on the amber stage?
    1-2 weeks 2 14.29%
    2-4 weeks 3 21.43%
    1 month 1 7.14%
    2 months 4 28.57%
    3 months 2 14.29%
    4 months 1 7.14%
    5 months 1 7.14%
    6 months or more 0 0%
    Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 17th 2011, 06:13 AM
    Site Admin

Default How much time did you spend on amber stage?

The question is easy, how much time did your cat(s) need on amber stage?

You can first answer the poll over here and then write down here more details about how your cat(s) did on this stage...

I can start: We were on this stage for about 4 months. I started training two cats, one of them had problems with the amber stage. My girl pooped on the floor around the apartement, mostly the bathroom because she could get away with it...The bedroom door was closed after her first accident on my bed. My boy did good, but he did have a few accidents, one on the duvet that my boyfriend was under...One time in a washing bucket inside the closet in the bathroom and on the top of his carrier bag ...Anyway, I think that was all his accidents and my girl was bad all the time...Well, I had not been on this forum for tips, but i read about the cardboard method...so I tried that method from amber to green...She hated it so I gave up and went back to amber...The amber problems: Gone!!!

When it comes to positioning my girl almost always went in the hole, but my boy had his front paws on one side of the hole and his back paws on the other so all the pee went in the back of the tray...(No problems because it was solved on the green stage).

My new kitten did bad on red and amber so not much to say about that except that it changed on the green stage...

If you have finished one of the other stages aswell or just want to see how much time others have used; here are some links of the other polls:

How much time did you spend on red stage?:
    http://www.litterkwitter.com/forums/...ead.php?t=2949

How much time did you spend on the green stage?:
    http://www.litterkwitter.com/forums/...ead.php?t=2951

How much time did you spend on the white stage?:
    http://www.litterkwitter.com/forums/...ead.php?t=2952

Tip

Problems with the amber stage?
    http://www.litterkwitter.com/forums/...2963#post12963

Last edited by Norwegiangirl85 : February 19th 2012 at 10:41 PM.
    Old August 17th 2011, 07:41 AM
    Site Admin

I put 2 months on the poll vote, but it was actually exactly 6 weeks on Amber. The first week on Amber, my kitten, Kali, peed on my sofa and my bed and was pooping on the bathroom floor. This behavior did not stop until the 8th day of the Amber disk. I was working from home the entire first week that Kali was having accidents and tried to be there every time she had to potty. Unfortunately, most of the time, she would wait until I was not watching to use the bathroom on the floor. Finally, after the first week, she got the hang of it and used the Amber disk perfectly for the rest of the 5 weeks.

Malibu did not have an issue with the Amber disk either. He only had 2 accidents during these 6 weeks. I noticed that he was holding in his poop for about 2 days, only to realize that for the past 2 days, he was pooping in my closet. I then made the decision to keep them locked out of my bedroom for the remainder of the training.

We went from the Red disk with the seat down for 4 weeks, then to Amber disk with seat down for 6 weeks.
    Old August 17th 2011, 11:55 AM
    Site Admin

My first time with my older cat we stayed about 12 days, with my current kitten it was about the same. Having the older cat model the behavior was really good for my kitten, he still watches the older cat use the toilet daily. I think it also helps that he adores the older one and they are great friends. Green will be much longer.
    Old September 22nd 2011, 11:13 PM
    Site Admin

Default Video - Yedi on the amber stage

For some strange reason this is the only video I have from the amber stage, I guess it wasen't cool enough to film them until they were on the green stage or maybe it was easier to film them later...or maybe I just didn't think about it at the time...Anyway, this is just Yedi when he was introduced to the amber tray, he was very curious about the hole: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1WLp4jbRJw
    Old September 23rd 2011, 01:26 AM
    Site Admin

We were on the multi-kat kit amber for two weeks and then we switched to regular amber for about 2.5 months. Then we switched to the multi-kat kit green, but my problem cat absolutely refused to use the green disc for pooping, so for almost two months I was putting the amber ring back on the toilet every few days when he had to poop until he finally started using it consistently (but not accident-free unfortunately).
    Old November 24th 2011, 06:48 AM
    Site Admin

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    We were on the multi-kat kit amber for two weeks and then we switched to regular amber for about 2.5 months. Then we switched to the multi-kat kit green, but my problem cat absolutely refused to use the green disc for pooping, so for almost two months I was putting the amber ring back on the toilet every few days when he had to poop until he finally started using it consistently (but not accident-free unfortunately).
    But they have been using the green disk for quite a while now - with no accidents, right?
    Old March 5th 2012, 05:01 AM
    Site Admin

Smile Jackie B. in amber

Hello again!
    Jackie didnīt mind the hole,but found it very amusement in drinking from toilet. She maintend peing and pooping as before, with no signs of stressing out.
    It did however had an accident, my fault, as I forget to flush the toilet during the night, she peed in front of toilete...
    After 10 days I changed to green, where we still are, cruising ALMOST peacefully trought the process
    Old May 28th 2012, 07:50 PM
    Site Admin

Takhneika: That sounds good

If your cat is still drinking from the toilet, there are some good tips to avoid it here: http://www.litterkwitter.com/forums/...negar+drinking
    Old June 10th 2012, 04:43 AM
    Site Admin

We are training two 4-year old cats, and had some trouble leaving amber because our cats got a little freaked out by the water. Since they never had any trouble peeing, I think they were having problems with the poop splash. The first time I transitioned to green, they started using it (albeit somewhat reluctantly), but after a day or so they stopped. Unfortunately, since we are clicker training them, we take them on walks outside so they can learn how to heel on a leash and harness. They took the opportunity to fully experience the great outdoors and really get in touch with nature.

The downside of this is that since they were going outside, they didn't have to use the toilet anymore, and their preference became to simply avoid the indoor process altogether. Although there were no accidents, they got to the point of holding it until their next walk (which didn't happen every day) and after about a week they had ceased using it altogether, so I reverted to the amber stage to help them get back on track.

To make it easier for them, I kept the amber insert for maybe 3 more weeks so they could get used to it again, and when I transitioned forward to green, I made sure they didn't have any opportunities to go outside. They were not thrilled, but were reluctantly using the green for a couple of days until one day I was a little late with their clicker training and Munchie pooped on the living room rug, about 10 feet away from where I was sitting with my back turned.

She was clearly making a statement about her dissatisfaction with 1. The very dangerous splashy pooping conditions, and 2. the lack of timeliness of her training schedule.

She's a stickler for promptness.

This happened the day before yesterday, and as I was extremely reluctant to go back to the amber insert, I searched on line and found this site. I then used the cardboard method (with cardboard) yesterday. The cardboard insert resolved the problem, as both readily have used the toilet for both poo and pee. Today we got the flexible cutting mats, cut to size and added a hole the same size as the amber (I think we are using the multicat amber, as the hole is the smaller of the two I have seen pictures of - I think the large hole amber must have been thrown away at some point before I started using the lk), and used silicone caulk to affix the mat to the green insert. They are back on amber until tomorrow night when the silicone has cured, and then they will move to green. I would imagine jumping from the small amber to the multicat green is too large a transition, but as mentioned, the larger amber hole is nowhere to be found.

Does anyone know the easiest way to trim the cutting mat? Scissors? I think the mat is a little awkward to cut, although maybe I was trying to be too tidy. I scored my cut first with a scalpel, then followed the score line with scissors, so it was reasonably tidy, but if anyone knows a more direct method, I'd love to try it.
    Old June 10th 2012, 05:12 AM
    Site Admin

Maybe you should take your cats out only when they have used the toilet as a reward on it's own?

I just used special scissors (You can even use it to cut shellfish) to cut the cutting board, it worked pretty good

I think the jump from amber to green is big, multi kat or not - I would just use the cutting board instead - then they will use the same material all the way and there will be no color changes either...