• Back to Homepage
  • Doogie's LITTER KWITTER Forums - The Place for Cat Toilet Training  
    Old May 8th 2012, 10:28 AM
    Site Admin

Default Green stage, pees ok poops on the floor

Hello, I have been 3 months trainning my cat, he has followed every stage no problem but it has been more than one month in the green stage and he is doing poops on the floor. I have been cleaning very well the floor everytime.He seems confortable doing this this way... What do you recomend me to do? should i go back? i am not at home a lot, but any advice on how to explain him what do i want him to do? Thanks a lot
    Old May 8th 2012, 04:03 PM
    Site Admin

Hi and welcome to the forum

If you have been training your cat for only three months and are already at the green stage I think you have moved a bit too fast for your cat, I know the LK people say 6-8 weeks - but most cats need alot more time than that. I advice you to go back to amber and see if your cat is OK with that, if he uses the floor too long it becomes a bad habit that will be hard to break and he might not even use the other stages of the LK so you better go back as soon as possible...If your cat is OK at amber I recommend you stay there for a month just to be sure he ingrains a habit and then try the cardboard method from amber to green and then from green to white...For more tips on the stages and the method, check out this thread: http://www.litterkwitter.com/forums/...ead.php?t=3095 (If you look at the polls you will see how much time people have used to train their cats).

Hope this helps, keep us posted!
    Old June 10th 2012, 02:46 AM
    Site Admin

Mine also have a problem with pooping at the green stage, and I think that it is very likely because they get splashed when the poop drops into the water. I've seen others mentioning this as a problem and they recommend a couple of different things:

1. Reduce the water in the toilet by manipulating the flushing mechanism - the part that refills the toilet. I think the setup for this device varies depending upon what country you are in, but it is all pretty straightforward if you flush with the tank top off and just watch to see what part is responsible for refilling the toilet. This must then be adjusted to give a reasonable flush with minimal water in the toilet. I'm not using this method personally, because I don't want to run into trouble down the road when they have to used a filled toilet.

2. Put toilet paper in the water to reduce splash. This seems reasonable to me, although I suppose you could end up going through a lot of paper, which seems wasteful.

Alternatively, you could try reducing the exposure to the water to allow your cat time to adjust more slowly by using the cardboard insert method, which is described on this site. Essentially you can use cardboard, or preferably a flexible chopping mat cut to fit the hole in the green insert. Into this insert you will cut a hole (I'm starting with a hole the size of the amber insert, as my cats don't have any problems with the amber stage), and gradually increase the size of the hole by periodically cutting a small (say 5 mm or 1/4 inch or less) strip from the hole edge to widen it just a little bit at a time.

Many people seem to have had success with this method, although it seems that if your cat pees very readily, and only has problems with pooping, that he might just be getting freaked out by splash.

Hope this helps and good luck to you!
    Old June 10th 2012, 03:01 AM
    Site Admin

Yeah, reducing the water level is helpful if your cat has problem with backsplash. Mine also had problems with pooping, but in my country the water level is not as high as in many other countries so I knew that was not the reason. Remember that when they are peeing they sit in a completely different position than when they are pooping - they have to use much more balance and are higher up when they are pooping so I think that has much to do with the problems. The cardboard method is a good idea since the cats get a chance to get used to the changes and feel safe on the toilet.

Another thing to think about is that many of the pooping problems comes from the cat beeing constipated (or having diarrhea) so it's really importante to think about what you are feeding your cat. Most of the cat food are made with corn and usually one of the ingredients (beet pulp) is made to make the cats poo harder so it's easier for us to scoop the litterbox, the problem is that this is not good for the cat and cats should not really eat corn at all. Toilet trained cats get constipated alot easier than other cats so it's even more important to think about what we are giving them. Even if you give wet or dry food it should be grain free. Try to put some canned pumpkin in the food (not pie mix).
    Old April 7th 2013, 11:16 PM
    Site Admin

I feel your pain! Our cat was fully trained for about 8-or-so months; then, inexplicably, she started pooing on the floor (but weeing in the toilet absolutely fine). That was about 6 months ago. Fingers crossed, she's cracked it again. She would go fine on the red and amber stage but the green stage, for whatever reason, it was wee in the toilet, poo on the floor. Always in the same place (on the floor, next to the toilet).

We tried all sorts to rectify it: orange/lemon peel where she pooed (worked for about 2 days until she realised she can use her paw to move it away), moving her food to where she was pooing (a dangerous tactic as it can stop them using the toilet altogether as they don't like to toilet where they eat), putting fresh and dried lavender down (our cat hates the smell) - none of this worked.

Eventually though, we found something that did work - cat spikes. The plastic spikes that you can nail to the top of your fence to stop cats from jumping up - we ordered a set from Amazon and put them on the floor next to the toilet. It's taken about 2 months for her to learn that she poos on the toilet and not where the spikes are but she's finally cracked it again. She used to cry and hold it in for 2 days (she really hated going on the toilet) but eventually, after lots of coaxing, cuddles, praise and most of all - treats! - she's now taking herself for a poo (still on the green stage). We're going to leave it at least another month before we take the cat spikes back up (to see if she will still go on the toilet) and at least another month after that to see if she'll go with no Kwitter on the toilet.

Hope this helps - best thing that you can do is not give in.