• Back to Homepage
  • Doogie's LITTER KWITTER Forums - The Place for Cat Toilet Training  
    Old March 21st 2012, 10:19 AM
    Site Admin

Angry 7 months in, ready to give up

I have 2 cats who I started on the LK system in the fall. They started off well. We did the cardboard method and were great. Got up to amber, no cardboard and was great for a while then one cat started pooping on the floor. During the cardboard phase, I ordered the multi cats ring to help with the green transition.

Once stella started pooing on the floor, I went down to the small amber ring. Kept the girls there for weeks without accident. Went to full amber and all was fine. I then went away for the holidays. While my brother was cat sitting, stella went back to floor pooping. We started back at ground zero. This time we got up to multi cat green. All was GREAT for 11 days then stella went back to the floor. We then went back to multi cat amber and she was fine. Moved back to Amber a few weeks later and she's back to pooping on the floor. I am frustrated and not sure the headaches are worth it. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I am ready to quit. I know it takes some cats a year to learn to use the toilet, but after 7 months, I'm at my witts end. I am going to go back to RED for the last time... but this is it
    Old March 22nd 2012, 12:09 AM
    Site Admin

It's been six months for me and we are now without the green ring. Only the white one. Maybe you moved too fast...

I waited a loooong time before moving to the green stage. And I used the cardboard method from october to december, going reaaaaally slowly enlarging the hole (like 1 ou 2 centimeters every couple of days). When we didn't need the cardboard anymore because the hole was big, I waited for another full month and half to move to the green stage.

I also give my cat her favourite treats when she uses the litter kwitter which helps a lot.
    Old March 22nd 2012, 11:11 AM
    Site Admin

I am now in this 7 months as well. The key for my slow learner is to prevent accidents by whatever means possible... I have resorted to locking him in the bathroom for a day or two and letting him out for supervised play after I noticed the LK was pooped in (since that is what he has the problem with).

Cover the bathroom floor with scratchers, toys, and have a bed and food/water dishes in there. Cover the floor with things as much as possible to make the LK the most ideal place to go. With a nice empty floor, your cat will choose there instead.

This has worked for me after times of regression, and we are able to continue to move forward still.
    Old March 23rd 2012, 12:57 PM
    Site Admin

Do you still have things all over the floor?
    Old April 4th 2012, 10:29 AM
    Site Admin

Sorry for the late reply. Yes I still keep things on the floor, and have had to since remove his bed because he pooped in it one day. We had a set back where Kronos was using amber like a champ and one day changed his mind about everything and had accidents 3 days in a row... so now we are back on red.

This time we are going with the cardboard method.
    Old April 4th 2012, 07:36 PM
    Site Admin

Myeah, it's certainly not easy.. again, it's definitely worth all the strife in the end but at the time it's REALLY freaking stressful. I remember being 'on edge' EVERY time I knew one of my cats needed to go. :/ One of mine STILL likes to dig in our shoes before he goes, although he NEVER has - learning to trust them when they're doing that isn't much fun! Just have to learn at what point they're absolutely trustworthy...

For the cardboard method though, I really do recommend trying kitchen cutting boards or something instead - they're sturdier, feels like the LK plastic, and easier to clean. http://www.amazon.com/MIU-Flexible-C...8145992&sr=8-4 for eg!

Good luck!

Edit: OH! Also, I was reading about someone on the forums here who posted recently (sorry, forgot their name!) who said they'd used 'cat attract'? Some sort of powder you add to their litter to make it more tempting to use? Could be worth considering as well- although it's more expense. :/

Last edited by Kimura : April 4th 2012 at 07:40 PM.