• Back to Homepage
  • Doogie's LITTER KWITTER Forums - The Place for Cat Toilet Training  
    Old March 11th 2012, 11:51 PM
    Site Admin

Why wait until he is trained to neuter him, he might start to spray and that might not stop after neutring if it has already started...Usually male cats has no problems going back to the training after neutering as long as they get gas and not anasthesia (In my experience). If you can not close the bedroom door and he use your bed maybe you could but a shower curtain on it or something like that to protect it?

Another thing to keep in mind, the first 6 months to a year after training is very important to keep a close eye on the cat - that is when the habit is beeing ingrained and you need to keep them accident free...
    Old March 12th 2012, 02:31 AM
    Site Admin

I was going to wait to neuter him because a vet friend said you should neuter cats at around 6 months if you want them to maximize on their testosterone and take the advantages it will do for bone structure, size, etc. Since he's a Maine Coon, I want him to be as big as possible. So far (4.5 months) he's showing no signs of spraying, but I will keep an eye on him for sure.

Update: So now I'm in a conundrum...

The night before last he was doing perfectly on the smaller amber stage. I was throwing a girl's night/game night and the bigger amber stage has a hole that doesn't spill litter (there's a ridge around the middle, whereas the smaller amber stage has no ridge and when you remove the LK litter spills out). So just for that night I put the larger amber stage on. I waited until after Pan had peed and poo'd, so it would be unlikely according to the chart I'm keeping of his bathroom habits for him to go again that night anyway. But I still wanted the LK up there just in case.

Well the party ran kind of long, and Pan was up MUCH later than he normally is. He went pee around 1 in the morning. Then yesterday he didn't go at all! He just slept all day and barely ate, very unusual, and then around 9 at night he got active again and wanted to eat a lot and play. I think my friends wore him out! They all loved him and he was playing and flirting until the wee hours of the morning of course...

Anyway, last night at around 2am, he went pee and I immediately cleaned it (I had left the big amber stage on because I hadn't thought to change it the night before, but he used it anyway). Right after I cleaned it, he laughed at me, hopped up there and went poop! Yay kitty! Lots of praise and love.

Then at around 3am I heard him scratching so I went in there. I really wanted to stay on top of this since he was on a bigger stage than I had intended. He appeared to have just been checking out the litter with the Cat Attract. He hopped off and wanted pets and to be loved, but I was so tired I went back to bed. 20 minutes later I heard him scratching again, but I figured he thought he had me trained, and every time he scratched, I'd come running and give him treats. I went to sleep.

This morning when I woke up I went into the bathroom to discover the most horrific sight he's greeted me with yet. The LK looked like something from a horror movie. There was a small pile of pee or wet poo, I couldn't tell, covered with litter. The rest of the litter had been scraped into the toilet, and Pan had fairly exploded watery poo into the amber tray. It had run between the white part too, and to make matters worse, he must have stepped in it when he tried to cover it (remember the litter was in the toilet) and he tracked it all over the white part and the bathroom floor! Horrified, I entered at my own risk and quickly shut the door because I could tell from his fur he was going to need a bath. As I approached the toilet, on the left side of it on the ground, was a puddle of poo (really watery) and pee! He hadn't gone on his preferred right side, because the foil and upside down bowls are there.

So, I cleaned everything thoroughly (including him), and used Urine Destroyer on the floor. I also put more Cat Attract in the LK. I'm still feeling ok about this, because he had used the bigger amber stage for weeks successfully before I bumped him up to green. And he used it on his own for 2 days (peeing and pooping without urging from me) before this disgusting accident.

So now the question is, how do I make his poo solid? Should I only feed him dry food? I've been feeding him a can of wet food during the day and half a bowl of dry food at night. His poo has been a little runny from the transition of the cheap stuff he was on before I got him, but I assumed as he got used to the quality food his poo would firm up. It's solid when he eats more dry at night, which is why I was asking if I should cut the canned food (which unfortunately is what you're supposed to feed kittens, if not cats) out of his diet. Or give him half a can a day and have him eat more dry? Advice?

He's not sick. He's still eating, drinking, loving, and playing normally. I really think his sleep being disturbed and then not eating for so long because he was sleeping all day is the cause.
    Old March 12th 2012, 03:38 AM
    Site Admin

Many cats get stressed when there is many people over for a long time, I think that is why he got diarrhea...Water is a good thing for cats (and people) with diarrhea because they loose alot of water so encouraging them to drink is a good idea. I think you should still give him wet food because it contains alot of water. Maybe you could get a hold of zoolac that might help to firm up his tummy Or if you can get him to eat it, rice and chicken...

Many vets think that cats shouldn't be neutred early, but there has been studies proven that it's actually best to do it early... Some info here: http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/Page...pay_Neuter.pdf I can only find the one with good enough info in Norwegian, not sure if google translate will be good enough to translate it, but I know it actually say that some male cats get bigger when they are neutred early

My cats were neutred at 5 months old, one of them actually started to be sexually mature before that...

Last edited by Norwegiangirl85 : March 12th 2012 at 03:47 AM.
    Old March 12th 2012, 04:09 AM
    Site Admin

I went ahead and gave him canned food like he'd been eating a couple of hours ago. I didn't want to change his diet, and I'm trying to keep him on the same schedule, or get him back on track.

When I went into the bathroom there were 2 piles of thick, mucusy clear liquid on the floor. They didn't have much of a smell and had some fur in them - I think maybe this is the first time he puked ever? His bum was a little wet so it could have been diarrhea, but not if it was mostly clear and not stinky, right? I think he probably puked after grooming himself from his bath....?

I'll call my vet tomorrow and see what they say about neutering. Do you think him jumping up on the toilet is bad for tearing out stitches?
    Old March 12th 2012, 04:58 AM
    Site Admin

It sounds like he just threw up hairballs, I don't think you need to worry about that

My cats didn't get stitches, I think they "glued" the wound together. My cats had no problem jumping back on the toilet and people I have talked to here has had the same experience...You just need to make sure he is awake and normal, as long as they use gas and a wake up shot I don't see any problems...I think you need to judge for yourself when you see how he acts, they say they shouldn't jump too much, but try telling a cat not to jump A step stool beside the toilet is always a good idea
    Old March 19th 2012, 12:36 PM
    Site Admin

I really hope people read this update, as I think it will help them if they're having problems. Two things that have been LIFE SAVERS to me are:

1) Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract - It's an herbal sprinkle that you put in the cat's litter, or the LK. The smells even attract Pan when he doesn't have to go. I've caught him hopping up there and pawing around just to see what's what. He's also been sticking his head down the hole which he'd never done before. I really think this stuff is going to be instrumental in getting him to use the green stages. Another great part about it is it comes with a booklet that Dr. Elsey has written that describes multiple methods of getting cat pee out of practically any substance it could have gotten on. GET THIS. Seriously.

2) Nature's Miracle Urine Destroyer - Pan was going to the bathroom (diarrhea and pee) on the floor instead of in the LK. The poo cleared up, but after that he continued to use the same spot. I had tried Nature's Miracle Spot & Odor remover, Tilex for bathrooms, and 7th Generation bathroom cleaner which hadn't worked. The Urine Destroyer requires that you leave it on the area to soak for at least 5 minutes. As the bathroom is tile I didn't think that was necessary, but I did and voila - no more messes! I was even able to pick up the foil and upside down bowls and dishes I had left in the area to make sure he would continue to use the LK and he did!

I think the two products combined together are really helping. Of course, I have the Feliway diffuser in the bathroom (but it's run out) and there's been no problems. I'm saving the spray for when Pan goes to the green stages.

Speaking of the green stages. He's now been on amber for almost 2 weeks successfully, but I'm going to give him another week before bumping him to the green. ANY TIPS for making this transition go as smoothly as possible (read: where he doesn't freak out like he did the last time and we regress back to amber) would be most appreciated. Thanks!