• Back to Homepage
  • Doogie's LITTER KWITTER Forums - The Place for Cat Toilet Training  
    Old March 4th 2012, 11:00 AM
    Site Admin

Smile 4 cats 2 kwitters, fingers crossed!

Hi! I'm pam - screen named after one of my cats - and am working with 4 cats in 2 kwitters. Things have been a little erratic around here for a long time, I'm building a bermed-home, and for the longest time I had 3 cats. My male, Ivan, (Maine Coon) - 12 years old - is dominant; a female Cordelia, who is 6 months older, also Maine Coon is absolutely the least dominant, very shy, took years before she would come to me, and even now can't quite make up her mind whether to come or not. For a while there was just the two of them, and then I got a medium long haired kitten at the vets in probably 2003. That was Alys, and she was very affectionate until she figured out that Ivan was head cat and once she saw that she started following him around and that was that! She became the middle cat. <G> Then in January, I got Miss Kitty. She was my renter's cat (a feral that was obviously socialized), my renter had her a month, then went on vacation, I took care of her. She slept all day and ate, so she gained weight. When my renter came back she thought Ms Kitty was preggers and wanted to take her to the no-kill shelter. I said no, and took her in. She's a sweet affectionate cat. Not quite sure where she belongs in the hierarchy. And then there's me, and that's the family.

Alys has occasional issues with going outside the litter (I figured it was dominance stuff and Ivan scratches everywhere but the litter when he finishes) - Cordelia had moved upstairs into the "office" which is still crammed with boxes, only coming down to eat, and trying to avoid the other kitties. And someone (or more than one someone) had been using the floor in the "office" for some time. So it was time to either move up a litter box or get them all kwitter trained.

I got my first kwitter, hoping that all 4 would use it, but was finding little presents in the upstairs office, so I knew that wouldn't work. Sooooo -
    We are now a house divided <G>. I have a gate so that Ivan and Alys cannot go upstairs and I have Ms Kitty and Cordelia closed up in my bedroom/bath. I ordered a second kwitter, and they're on 2 very different schedules. Ivan and Alys are already on the toilet on the red insert, with stepstool. Yes, we still have accidental peeing over the edge onto the floor (some on the seat) and we have had some presents (Alys, I'm thinking, twice, in the bathroom), but slowly they're getting the hang of it. I came down this morning to a flipped kwitter, it was sitting against the wall behind the toilet. I'd cleaned it really well and put it back with all 4 of the little plastic bracers on the sides. One immediately popped out. I figure when Ivan was scraping, he popped the other. I hope he's not traumatized, but he dropped the lid on himself once and survived that. So I'll know more in the morning. They both use it after I go to bed, so unless someone says I should be staying in the bathroom with them, I'm just leaving it to them. If there are more accidents, etc., I'll consider spending the time with them and move a chair in there for a few nights.

The second LK came a week after the first, and I set it up in the bathroom upstairs on the floor. Ms. Kitty and Cordelia did OK, only one accident, and after a week (yesterday) I put it up on the toilet with the stool like downstairs. That didn't go over. I woke up last night to Cordelia leaving me a new present on the wood floor in the area behind the bookcases. So, this morning I got a tray out and lifted the LK about 6 inches off the floor, and it's very sturdy. Someone has been tinkling in it today. We will see what happens tonight. At least upstairs, I'm sleeping in the same room, so I can hear when the scratching starts. I figure I might have to do the slowly elevate situation with Cordelia upstairs. She's my slowest kitty.

I'm going to give the downstairs kitties another week on the red, and if we don't have more accidents (I don't count peeing over the rim as an accident) or flipping the lids (everything is taped down now) I think I will move to the small hole amber and see what happens.

Through all of this I've had the cold from hell, coughing, etc, and dealing with leaks, but I feel really optimistic. It is amazing how different two sets of cats can be. I am only a bit concerned because I can't "catch" them being good to treat them. I hope that's OK.

Last edited by alyscat : March 5th 2012 at 03:53 AM. Reason: typo
    Old March 4th 2012, 07:45 PM
    Site Admin

Hi and welcome to the forum! I have trained three cats myself and can't imagine training four, but at least you have two toilets so I'm sure that will help ALOT

It might be a good idea to tape the trays to the white seat so it doesn't pop up again

Keep us posted on your progress!
    Old March 5th 2012, 03:47 AM
    Site Admin

Thanks! I did have the downstairs tray taped, and my cat Ivan was just fine, but Alys was on the floor again for both #1 and #2, so I moved the downstairs back to the floor. I think the flipping was just too much excitement for Alys <G>.

Upstairs, I had one "good cat" and the other (whom I'm thinking is cordelia) peed in the shower. So.... I've urine-offed EVERYWHERE, and in the area where the bookcases are, I've laid down cardboard and moved their food tray back there. Hopefully that will keep her from leaving me any presents there. It's also further from the bathroom, so I'm hoping it will be less objectionable.

If we have more accidents, that tray with red insert will go back to flat on the floor. <G>.
    Old March 7th 2012, 02:40 AM
    Site Admin

March 6, keeping sort of a running journal. Upstairs kitties are 6" off the floor and both are doing OK at that height. No accidents yet, which is a surprise.

Downstairs kitties are not quite so sanguine.
    I think Ivan is OK, it's Alys that's problematic.
    After the LK flipped from the toilet bowl, I found that when returning the LK to the toilet, Alys pooped and peed around the toilet on the floor, so cleaned it up good and set the LK (red stage) back on the floor. Had a couple of days success there, and last night moved it to 6" from the floor. Spent a lot of time following Alys around trying to catch her being good and reward her - finally gave that up, cause it seemed to be making her anxious. Ivan was fine (not covered his poop, of course) - I think Alys (could have been Ivan) sorta peed in the LK (maybe a tablespoon in the litter and the rest ran down between the red insert and the white rim - darn, I don't know how they get their aim is sooooo good, but that's not uncommon <G>) - but she pooped in another place in the bathroom. Got that up and sprayed with the Urine-off.

Don't know exactly what her beef is. Can think of several things - wonder if part of it is Ivan not covering his bizness. So, it's either back down to the floor, OR it's build Ivan his own training toilet with the sitz bath, which can be there in the bathroom, but elevated.
    Old March 9th 2012, 03:28 AM
    Site Admin

Upstairs cats are champs! Although, they found the treats and I found the plastic bag ripped open yesterday and Cordelia trying to get some out. They're in a drawer now. Will keep them through the end of the week at 6" and then put another bin under the one that's there, to elevate it another couple of inches.

Downstairs cats are.. well, Ivan is practically phlegmatic - wherever the LK is, that's where he stops - This morning someone had peed a bit on the rim and a lot on the floor, so while cleaning that up, I sat the LK back on the toilet, temporarily, and left it there, accidentally - came back in an hour later to find that it had been used.

Alys, however, is still having issues. Finally pooed on the floor in the hall last night, after I went to bed, after holding it all day. (I've got her hidey hold in the bathroom blocked) -

For right now the LK is back on the toilet with the red insert.

Still thinking about making the separate-stand alone unit for Ivan, thinking Alys is having a problem with going after Ivan - Decisions, decisions.
    Old March 21st 2012, 12:42 PM
    Site Admin

Hard to believe it's been almost 2 weeks since my last post. Things have definitely been up and down. (literally)

My friend, Mike, was over yesterday and asked a question about the training, and I took him in to see the downstairs bathroom - there are 3 kitty toilets in the downstairs bathroom. <sigh> He said I had the making of a good book there. LOL

I could never figure out if Alys' problem was going after Ivan, or height, or litter or change or what. I had the red kwitter on the toilet, Ivan was doing just fine, except he put his front feet in the middle of the litter and thus hung his tusch over the edge. Alys was hit and miss. So, I made Alys and Ivan separate kitty toilets with the sitz baths and the plastic tubs - and removed the red litter kwitter - Ivan was fine - he'd go anywhere there was litter. Alys didn't like hers - I'm still not sure why - too high? New litter? the floor was sooo much easier. So, I left one kitty toilet high, took Alys' and put it down on 4 concrete blocks, bringing it down to about 6" high. Still, with the presents. So I put the red LK back on the floor. Two days we had success - then a present - but I cleaned it up, and de-odorized it, let it dry and put her toys there. Oh, and I took a large restaurant-sized cookie sheet and put that under the LK, because whoever was using it somehow manages to pee right up on the edge of the red tray, so it all leaks through the bottom.

Upstairs, I made a new kitty toilet, but it was too high for Cordelia - or the change or something - so she revered to presents again. Ms. Kitty was just fine. Like Ivan downstairs, Ms kitty was just happy to find some litter. So, I moved that toilet down to 6 inches, and now I've got 2 cats upstairs just fine, and 2 days with no "accidents downstairs."

Downstairs, my plan is to wait 2 weeks, and then to move the red LK over to the 6" high kitty toilet, Eventually, the red LK will go.

Upstairs, my plan is to wait 2 weeks and then raise the kitty toilet 2".

Meanwhile, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

So, that's where we are - I have a sick chicken in the hallway, good kitties on both floors (for a couple of days, at least) - and some of the stress is passing. It's amazing how stressful it is, trying to train your cats. I just can't read their minds.

Last edited by alyscat : March 21st 2012 at 12:45 PM.
    Old March 31st 2012, 11:26 AM
    Site Admin

10 days -,the upstairs cats are doing grand. As is one of the downstairs cats. So... I've ordered a "high pile"
    carpet protector, and have used bottles of water to block off the recalcitrant kitty's access... we shall see...
    Old March 31st 2012, 09:22 PM
    Site Admin

Sounds good
    Old April 1st 2012, 04:28 PM
    Site Admin

Smile Bingo!

Today was a success day - the downstairs LK is up on the 6" blocks, and both cats have been "good cats" - lots of treats today.

The upstairs cats were good cats, too. Just a couple more days and I'll rotate the blocks upstairs and put them on their sides, so they'll sit 8" Baby steps!

I'm guessing it will be 2 more weeks before we can raise the downstairs LK that extra 2" = I'd like to have some more success days there before I make any changes - I still have the long pile carpet protector coming via Amazon - And may use it in front of the toilet. I blocked off the front of the toilet with gallon jugs of water - The short pile carpet protector has shorter nubs and with the 1" spacing, Alys was carefully working her way over to pee in front of the toilet - with the jugs there, the only way to get over to her favorite spot is to jump the jugs, and I don't think she was ready to do that.
    Old April 14th 2012, 01:54 PM
    Site Admin

LOL, never second guess a determined cat. Ivan is still golden, downstairs, on the LK. Ms. Kitty is still golden upstairs on the kitty toilet. Which leaves the other two, who rotate in and out . Cordelia (upstairs) had taken to peeing in the sink! after weeks of using the kitty toilet. Alys WILL walk over the carpet protector nubs up to pee in front of the toilet, and will alternate pooing on the floor with pooing on the LK. (Downstairs) - <sigh>

I went ahead and lifted both arrangements to 12" - going to continue with "training" - I noticed last time that Cordelia got out of sequence at any change - like going from 6 to 8" elevated. But she got back into sequence in a day or so. (Although why she's suddenly decided to pee in the sink, heaven only knows.)

Oh, and Alys seems to not care about treats at all - maybe she does and is psyching me out, LOL.