• Back to Homepage
  • Doogie's LITTER KWITTER Forums - The Place for Cat Toilet Training  
    Old September 25th 2011, 01:48 PM
    Site Admin

Great news!! He's getting big!
    Old October 7th 2011, 04:43 PM
    Site Admin

Everything is great on green.

He is only getting a spoon of litter 2 or 3 times a day. He often has no litter at all.

He has to get neutered by the end of the month so I am worried about that now. The organization where I got him, you pay for the neuter when you get the cat and you get a voucher, if you do not use the voucher by a certain date (estimated six months old) it becomes a donation. They do this as people always say they will do it, but often when the time comes, they do not bother.

When he does #2 he raises his front right paw in a little salute, Is this normal?

I am a little concerned as to why he does it, and how it will affect him on the slippery toilet seat. So I am going to try lowering the seat when I am at home, try to catch him doing his business and see how distressed it makes him.

I have still had no luck with the finding the flat seat
    Old October 7th 2011, 10:24 PM
    Site Admin

Hi Devora,
    Can I just say, you were the one who inspired me to post a thread! I read your reply to norwegiangirl saying you wished more people posted and I thought 'oh what the hell!'.
    I loved reading this thread because you seem to be in a very similar situation to me and my cat, Chewie; my story is the thread 'Chewie's LK adventure'. Our cattens (I love that!) are about the same age and Chewie is just so tiny, like Sparky. On top of that I've just gone on to Amber, although Chewie hasn't taken to any sort of correct positioning, unlike Sparky who looks like he's doing fab!
    I know how you feel about the neutering. I need to get Chew done, but I'm nervous it will set her back in her training. However I really can't put it off since my auntie is coming to stay around Christmas and with her unneutered Tom being here a lot, I don't want to be toilet training any littles kittens in the new year!
    Lucy xX
    Old October 8th 2011, 03:04 AM
    Site Admin

Well, we did not have an accident, but the seat is back up.

I put the seat down this morning before he did his business.

He did #1, but he got into his normal position and started, then he gradually slid down into the bowl while doing #1, he had to stop half way through and get back into position to finish.

My husband says not to worry about it, Sparky will find a suitable position by himself, but I shall be leaving the seat up, maybe checking each week as he grows, It might be ok with a full sized cat.

If not the seat stays up until I find a flat toilet seat
    Old October 11th 2011, 04:14 AM
    Site Admin

Well, we almost had our first accident.

I accidently left the toilet seat down yesterday evening. It is easy to forget, I had just cleaned the litter kwitter and forgot about the seat. I have changed the tape for just elastic band around the cistern as peeling off the tape was making a mess and hard to clean.

Anyway about an hour later we caught Sparky digging and getting ready to squat in a plant.

So searching, searching for a flat toilet seat, that does international shipping

I found this one Origin Toilet Seat - Roper Rhodes, Ref 407, bottom of the page.

http://www.plumbwales.co.uk/acatalog...let_Seats.html

So what do you think of it?
    and does anyone know about international shipping, I have written to a couple of places, but no answer
    Old October 13th 2011, 05:07 AM
    Site Admin

That wooden toilet seat in the bottom? Looks perfectly flat

I agree it's hard to find a flat, wide toilet seat - especially if you would want anything besides wood... Strange, but I guess slippery and slim is modern now
    Old October 13th 2011, 07:55 PM
    Site Admin

We have hit a problem,

Sparky will use the green with very little or no litter, however he will not use the white.

While I am at home, I put take the green out, but then he cries and cries, so today I put the green back in and let him scratch at the empty green and get into position, then I slid the green out so it was not there during or after the #2.

This is not practical, I could try the cardboard, but the problem does not seem to be about reducing litter, as he will use green without litter, he has all four paws on the white for a long time so it is not that he needs the green to stand in. It just seems to be that he needs to scratch in the green.

Any ideas?

I may try putting the green down the hole, or getting a disposable cardboard scratching mat to put near the toilet.
    Old October 13th 2011, 08:59 PM
    Site Admin

Well that was quick, I put the green down the toilet, with no litter, and showed it to him, he cried a little then did #1. He did it in a funny position, he seemed to be trying to stretch out and do it into the water, not into the green?? mad cat.

Then I just flushed with the green inside, no litter so I guess it makes no difference.

He must have been waiting all morning since I took away the green when he was in the middle of doing #2.

I think that tomorrow I shall definitely get a cardboard scratch pad to put next to the toilet, That may also stop him scratching in the plants.

I worry that if we ever have even one accident, that will be the end of the training for ever.

So far with all stages, it has worked to put the old ring into the toilet bowl.

Maybe even after I take out the green I shall have to put it back in to change toilet seat, if I ever get a flat one. Still waiting for a reply about international shipping from the Roper Rhodes toilet seat I found.
    Old October 14th 2011, 02:54 AM
    Site Admin

Yedi did not have a problem with the litter, but the scratching space so it really worked with the cardboard method to slowely reduce the space he was using...When we got to white he still scratched the small ridge or whatever on the inside of the white seat...I think the problems with Yedi started when we removed the white ring because there was no surface inside the toilet seat to scratch...We do have a scratching post in the bathroom and they all use it, but I don't think it's toilet related when they use it or not...Hope you find a good solution...
    Old October 14th 2011, 06:46 PM
    Site Admin

Well, this morning there was much crying again, but eventually he used the white with the green in the bowl. So we are getting there. This is the first time he has really complained about a change, everything else was just so easy.

I think that by not rushing through he has learnt that the toilet is the only place to go, I hope. I now think that it is best to have approximately a month on each stage, even if they can go faster, just to make sure that the cat knows that the toilet is the only place to go.

It stuck in my mind when I read somewhere that for training cats that less than a month is only a trick it takes a month to form a habit, so I have probably stuck with that thought even without planning it. but that is approximately how we have done it. Though the green has been less than a month to fit in with the time I can have off work for stage change.

Well I am off to get him a scratching pad to put next to the toilet. Hope this cuts down the complaining.

Last edited by devora : October 14th 2011 at 06:49 PM.