• Back to Homepage
  • Doogie's LITTER KWITTER Forums - The Place for Cat Toilet Training  
    Old January 14th 2012, 11:04 AM
    Site Admin

Default Dropping in for an update

I just thought I would drop in for an update on Empat's toilet training. We started the litter kwitter training when she was a kitten about 1.5 years ago. I was due to move internationally from Indonesia to Bogota last year, so I decided to not finish the training and stop her at the green stage so that the LK would "anchor" her to her new toilet. Well, that plan worked brilliantly, first in the hotel suite toilet where we had to share a toilet (what a pain that was with the constant removing the LK from the seat). When we moved into our apartment here in Bogota, again, the LK was the clear indicator for her on which of the three toilets was hers.

I never bothered moving her off the green stage. I have and extra bathroom which is known as the cat's bathroom, so everything works out well. I still give her a little skiff of cat litter on the green ring, but realize today that our bag of kitty litter is still half full after a year of use. How cool is that?

So, if you struggle with the training, or live an expat lifestyle and have to move a lot, I have to recommend just stopping at the green level as a great alternative solution.
    Old January 14th 2012, 03:29 PM
    Site Admin

Great to hear that everything is going good for you.

Sparky is also on the green and it does not bother me if we stay that way forever. I had also thought of staying that way permanently I think if you travel a lot it is a good idea. We may try ing the spring to get past the green, but I am not sure if it is worth it.
    Old January 21st 2012, 08:15 PM
    Site Admin

I think it's a great idea to stay on green, many cats don't even need litter if they can scratch the green surface...I would not have a problem with my cats on green if it wasn't for two things:

1. I only have one toilet and I was sick of removing it all the time
    2. Mina used to pee and poo on the green tray so if it was dirty and the other cats needed to use it when I was not there they sometimes used the floor...

But if you have more than one toilet and they never hit the green ring, go for it
    Old February 14th 2013, 04:28 AM
    Site Admin

Default Another year later

I am back for another update. Empat is still happily using the LK on the green stage and have had no accidents.

I am finally about to move home after 8 years of living abroad. I have sent Empat ahead of me to stay in a boarding kennel for 10 days. I am nervous about this as it is the first time in 2.5 years that she will be using a litter box, we shall see how she does going back to the LK after this 10 days.
    Old February 17th 2013, 12:16 AM
    Site Admin

I'm sure she will do fine, looking forward to hear about it

You could also make a mock toilet she could have in the kennel, but maybe that's to much stress for the workers there...

Good luck moving home
    Old February 23rd 2013, 09:37 AM
    Site Admin

Empat was delivered to me in my short term rental after spending 10 days in a kennel with a litter box. She was introduced to the new toilet fitted with her LK on green with her usual skiff of litter. She has already peed in the bowl twice and I am on poo watch.

So far so good.

I really have an awesome cat.