• Back to Homepage
  • Doogie's LITTER KWITTER Forums - The Place for Cat Toilet Training  
    Old August 10th 2011, 06:33 AM
    Site Admin

Default About not pooping in the LK (long!)

Hi all! I've been taking it *very* slowly with my two kitties since day one and have only had one poop outside the LK. Okay, two - but I caught him in the act and he then finished in the LK! Hahaha

I have a theory about cats who dislike pooping in the LK, and I just think that maybe pooping is 1.) a much more vulnerable position/activity than peeing, and 2.) stinkier (well, obviously!) so they really want to know they're doing it in a good spot for burying/scent absorption. So, I think that may be why a cat will wee in the LK a few times but after a day or so when it's time for number 2, they seek out a place they feel very comfortable and safe. Like the floor, your bed, or behind the entertainment center!

After a few days of my cats peeing in the LK and holding their poo, my girl, Alita, pooped in the corner in my living room! So, then I tried something different, and not typically recommended. I let them have access to their old litter box *and* the LK for a few weeks! I put the litter box next to the LK on the bathroom floor. The cats would pee in both but only poo in the box. Sometimes I put a piece of poop in the LK for a day or so. Sure enough, after about a week, they started pooping in the LK, too! I think that maybe it helps some cats to have lots of repetitions and positive associations with peeing in the LK before they feel comfortable enough to use it for pooping. I little by little let the litter box get really messy while keeping the LK clean, to make it seem more appealing. But, the litter box was still always an option if someone just didn't feel comfortable using the LK. Eventually when I took the box away, I still brought it out once a day for about 10-15 minutes. If someone had been holding something, they'd use their litter box then, which I thought was better than finding somewhere else in the house, or using the LK in a state of anxiousness. I didn't want them to have felt "forced". Hahahaha, maybe I'm too much of a softie! : P After they went about a week without using the litter box during those once a day opportunities, I decided they must feel perfectly comfortable with the LK, and I stopped offering it. There has been one accident since, and that was about a month later when I decided to go straight from the floor to toilet placement without raising the height by increments! Duh! : P Now it's on a three inch platform and my two kitties, Akira and Alita, are reliably using it. Well, Alita sometimes pees over the edge! Hahaha, we're working on that. I think I might have to put up a physical barrier to help her with positioning, since she doesn't like to be moved while she's going.

Anyway, I thought this less orthodox method might help someone! Or, maybe you feel like it's hopeless if they just refuse to poop in the LK, but my cats did it of their own volition after peeing in it for a week or so! So there's hope! : ) I worried that the more times they had to make the decision to poop elsewhere they'd get comfortable with doing that, or that pooping in the LK when they don't really want to might be as much of a negative association as a positive. If you have any questions, ask away! Happy scooping (for now)! : P
    Old August 11th 2011, 02:30 AM
    Site Admin

My cat was too small to use the litter kwitter when we first got him, but we did not have, and did not want to get another litter box. It was on the floor for a month, then I started with putting it on a box, then 2 weeks later added another smaller box to make it steps.

I have noticed that when playing about he can jump onto the toilet freely, but when his is going to use the toilet he uses the steps, pauses and looks before getting on the litter kwitter, this checking it out seems to be important for him, so the steps will stay for a while longer, probably until he has finished training, but I am looking for an attractive storage stool that can be left by the toilet incase he always wants to look down on the toilet before using it,
    Old August 11th 2011, 09:29 AM
    Site Admin

My kitten is about 16 weeks now and has been using the LK for 4-5 weeks, we keep a step stool next to the toilet and he likes to sit on it and look around at the LK and uses it to get up even tho he can hop up just fine on his own.

Akalu I think it is great that you found a way to transition your cats so that they are comfortable and know what you expect form them. I never would have thought to bring the old litter box out like you did! Way to not give up!!
    Old August 13th 2011, 06:21 AM
    Site Admin

I'm glad to hear that putting an option on the floor helped the transition. I especially like you're idea of allowing the floor tray get dirty. I have had a rough go of it lately. I cannot transition from Orange to Green. Pee's everytime in Green,but CANNOT STAND pooping in green. I follow him around knowing that he's holding and catching him in the corner, putting him on the Green, praising him for doing it against his will and lavish him with treats afterward. But when I'm not home, he hits the corner again. My wife has given me until November (we've been doing this for a year when we first rescued the kitten) to get him over or we're back to litter box. I will try putting a tray on the floor to see if he'll at least go there.
    Old August 15th 2011, 03:47 AM
    Site Admin

Yea, I plan to keep a step stool out permanently once we get onto the toilet phases, and after training is done. It just seems way too easy to slip on a smooth toilet seat when jumping up or down from it. For one, I'd hate for someone to get scared like that during training, and for two, EW! Hahaha

Tchrey, did you try leaving out the other tray yet? How'd it go? I'm far from the on-the-toilet phase, but when I get there I plan to make an adaptation to the method I used to get them to use the LK in the beginning. If they show any resistance to pooping in one of the trays, I'll alternate between the new tray, and the one they're already comfortable with. I wouldn't bring out the old litter box. That's behind us now. For instance, I'd only move on to a the green tray once they're 100% comfortable with the amber one (like I'm sure you did with your boy). So, if they're showing apprehension with green, then there'd be no need to go all the way back to the litter box. That might confuse them more because there's a *huge* difference between using the litter box on the floor and the green tray on the toilet! Instead I'd leave the green tray in for a few hours at a time and then switch it back to amber, especially at times when I'm sleeping or not home. You could even try giving him the amber tray just once a day for about a half hour. If he's been holding his poop, he'll probably take that opportunity to do it in the LK. At least that way he won't be getting reinforced for pooping in the corner. (Everytime he goes there it is reinforced, since he gets relief. Elimination is a self-rewarding behavior.) I'd do this with hopes that eventually one day you'll find him pooping in the green tray, because he's finally gotten comfortable enough to try it! I'm so far from that stage maybe it's totally wrong of me to give any advice, remember you have more experience than me so draw on that as well. : ) All I know is my cats "graduated" themselves through the first phase without any coercion and I only had to clean up poop once (and that was when I was when I was trying to force the LK on them)! Good luck! Let me know how it goes! I can learn from you for when I reach that stage! : )
    Old October 4th 2011, 10:42 AM
    Site Admin

But what if my cat always poops on the floor, I'm talking before the Litter Kwitter, just always poops on the floor and pees in the box? It seems no one else has this problem! There are many stories of kitties who are reluctant to move onto the next phase and consequently poop on the floor, but what about a kitty who will take the floor over a litter box any day!!!
    Old October 4th 2011, 10:43 PM
    Site Admin

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oliver&Cricket View Post
    But what if my cat always poops on the floor, I'm talking before the Litter Kwitter, just always poops on the floor and pees in the box? It seems no one else has this problem! There are many stories of kitties who are reluctant to move onto the next phase and consequently poop on the floor, but what about a kitty who will take the floor over a litter box any day!!!
    Maybe he is uncomfortable with pooping? Is he constipated or anything like that? Maybe you can give him some olive oil or change his food, my cats got much better with Royal Canin Intense Hairball because it softens the poo and makes it more comfortable to go...

Also try to give him a treat evertime he uses the litterbox/LK, and try to cath him in the act when he does it other places, then put him on the LK so maybe he'll finish there. For some people it might also help to put a piece of his poo in the litterbox/LK so he "thinks" he has used it for pooping before...
    Old October 6th 2011, 11:13 AM
    Site Admin

When I first got my now 3 year old he was a kitten of 10'weeks or so. He was caged with a female of 6 months or so and we took both of them home. They were rescued from a hoarder who bad over 130 cats. The female refused to use a litter box for pooping, the only solution that worked for us was to cage both kittens in our living room with a litter box and a bed, they we'd caged for 3 weeks and she learned to use he box perfectly, it also allowed us to get then used to being around us and not being able to hide as they were pretty much feral.