PDA

View Full Version : 2 existing cats and a new kitten on the way

beknluke
October 25th 2007, 02:08 PM
Hi Guys :)
I have only recently ordered a Litter Kwitter but before it arrives, I'd really appreciate some advice :)
We have two cats here, an 18mth domestic and a 14mth bengal and are planning to get a Tonk kitten in Dec. Should we start training with these two now? Or should we wait until all three are here, settled in and THEN start the training?
I wasn't sure if it would be problematic to train our existing girls twice?? (Once now and then start all over again in a few months?)
Any help and advice would be much appreciated :)
Cheers,
Bex :)

alikat
October 26th 2007, 04:36 AM
A lot of cats seem to learn by example, so you could potentially set your new kitten up for a lot of success by training the two older cats to the stage of red on the toilet or even amber before December!

That being said, litter kwitter cleanup takes a lot more time than scooping out a litterbox, so you might not want to invest the effort ahead of time. A good thing to start now, however, may be getting your cats used to flushable litter if they are not yet using it. I know that adjusting from scoopable to flushable litter was a big issue for my two cats! Good Luck!

pnklfnt
October 27th 2007, 08:32 AM
Well, if you can at least get to the amber stage before your new kitten arrives, then the kitten won't know any difference to what is expected from it's new home. Especially if it is new at being litter box trained at it's previous residence, most kittens don't really associate strongly litter box looks at that young of an age. With amber you'd still have litter in the outter rim, and with a small kitten, that much litter ougt to be fine I'd think.

I know if I'd have known about the LK when I adopted my two cats last November, I would have certainly opted to train them on that instead of trying to get them adjusted to a litter box, and a new home. I'm sure I wouldn't have had the problems that I've had with training if I'd started sooner.

KatnGiz
October 29th 2007, 03:13 PM
I agree. I think if I had started Gizmo earlier things might have been easier. While she was still fairly young (6mths) she was still starting to become quite big, and I think that is what she has struggled with cause she wants to dig such a big hole (or empty the LK of litter). If she was smaller I'm thinking that maybe the LK might have seemed bigger to her.

All I know is that my neighbour started training her cat at about 2months of age and progressed very quickly. I think he was on red for only a week, amber for maybe a month or two and is currently on green. Where as I've been training Giz since May this year and only now starting to think about progressing from Intermediate Amber to normal Amber.

beknluke
November 1st 2007, 11:29 PM
Thanks for that guys :D Much appreciated!
Ok, well our LK just arrived today so I will set it up on the floor and see how they go! I am already using a flushable litter so that part shouldn't be an issue, though our two girls ARE used to having three trays so getting them to use one should be interesting LOL.
Hopefully they will graduate to the amber stage by the time our new bub arrives! And you're all very right, it probably WOULD learn by example! Why didn't I think of that?!? lol
I will see how I go and update you as we progress!! Thankyou again!
Bex, Shadow and Inca :D