PDA

View Full Version : Having Problems

imported_admin
June 1st 2006, 06:55 PM
[N.B: Originally posted by: Gosperd. 16 Jan 06 6:06 PM (Australia)]

Hi Jo, I have two cats, Tyronne an 8yr old Maine Conn and Kody a 7 yr old burmese. We were on the red stage for two weeks and there seemed to be no problems, both the boys using the red disc quite contently. I decided to change to amber and all hell broke loose. Neither would use it. So I changed back to the red disc and Tyronne resumed using it when required only as they spend part of their days outdoors and come in every evening. Kody has simply refused to use the red disc at all. Will not poo inside and wees on the floor on mats or whatever he finds. I tried keeping them in the house for 3 days and Kody didn't poo for the whole 3 days. They are often inside for 3 or 4 days if I am working afternoon shift and I just don't know where to go from here. Kody gets up on the loo and walks around it but refuses to use it. He was going so well before. Can you offer any solutions Jo as I don't know what to try next and I don't want to give up.
Di

imported_admin
June 1st 2006, 06:56 PM
[N.B: Reply by Jo Posted: 17 Jan 06 7:45 AM (Australia)]
Try going back to the red on the floor. Training 2 cats or more is more time consuming & difficult than just one. You have to behave normally, try not to appear over interested in your cats toileting. After a min of two weeks, provide a stepping stool and re-introduce red on rim, again same as before min 2 weeks act normal, be cool. Cats pick up on your anxiety & sudden interest around their toileting.Before you never lifted an eyebrow. Try offering a treat, dried sardine or soemthing they love but never have ever had before. They will associate the treat in connection with the training. When thet do well LPT( love, praise, touch) when they don't do so well never get angry, just clean up & show them no emotion. Cold shoulder treatment (CS) & NO treat. Understanding how your cats tick & tuning in to them greatly assists in the training.
So LPT when they do good + treats
CS no treat when they don't do so well
Ensure you clean up any urine or poo with an enzymatic cleaner
Hope this helps.
Jo.