PDA

View Full Version : Automatic toilet flusher

chrisgeller
May 9th 2007, 01:13 AM
Hi

LK training for our two kittens is going really well (well, it's taken two months so far....), but we're at green and I'm confident we'll be able to remove the LK in two weeks or so.

Are there any auto toilet flushers in the UK market? Have a standard toilet - I need something that'll automatically flush the loo a couple of times a day if we're away.

Anyone know?

chrisgeller
June 25th 2007, 11:50 PM
Again, did anyone ever find a solution for this? We left the cats for three days and it was extremely unpleasant to return.

http://www.technicalconcepts.com/pages/products/autoflush_tank.htm

This is the closest I've found, but not easily available or quite the right thing. Surely someone else has got to this stage?

frogger90
July 29th 2007, 03:46 PM
I use one similar to http://www.instructables.com/id/E5IR8TV4Q9ES9J74AT/ and it works great! The sensor is built into the handle.

chrisgeller
August 13th 2007, 05:00 AM
Thanks for the reply

But how well does the autosensor work?

Doesn't this mean the toilet is flushing many, many times a day? Or that sometimes it doesn't go off when it should?

Dobby
August 19th 2007, 05:10 AM
Here is a site that tells you how to get this free??? I haven't tried it yet but I will let me know if anyone here has done this!
http://www.instructables.com/id/E5IR8TV4Q9ES9J74AT/

I also found this site that has a great looknig unit that is mentioned for cats use due to it's locatable sensor mounting. So far I like this ones looks the best. Once again I haven't ordered or tried it yet. My poor kitty hasn't made it to the seat yet :-( He using the kwitter but 1week into it and having problems getting him to use it on the toilet even though he has no problems jumping up there.

Good Luck and i hope this helps.

http://www.firstchoiceokc.com/index.php?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=44

mi_mina
September 27th 2007, 02:47 AM
does the cat have to poop in front of the sensor or pass the sensor as they get off?

is anyone using an auto flusher? have any input on a good model?

I want to get one for mina, her biggest issue is not wanting to poop in pee water... we've gone back to the optional amber ring because when i leave town her cat sitter doesn't come over in time

and mina retains herself to poop in the living room and pee in the bathroom...

we're back on track, but i won't move forward until we have an auto flush in place...

it's taken too long to get here to keep restarting...

mi_mina
October 29th 2007, 02:22 PM
we got an auto flush - pretty basic unit, very easy to install, and we learned some valuable lessons:

1. even if your cat is totally cool with you flushing the toilet while they are standing on it, they might not be cool with the toilet flushing itself.

2. sensor placement is critical, and you probably should think outside of the box.

3. I stand by my decision to knock her back from amber to amber intermediate for this - i think not having water drops come up and splash her really helped mitigate her discomfort with the new autoflush.

after a few weeks of trying we found the perfect set up, and mina's back at ease with the toilet, friday morning we moved back up to the amber disc from amber intermediate. and it's going great. i'm pretty confident, after 11 months of work, that we've now addressed all major roadblocks she faced.

here's what i've learned about auto flushes:

don't put the sensor across the top of the toilet as you normally would, if your cat is anything like mina they'll jump up, scratch at the litter, then turn around and use the toilet.

once the cat is still for 5 seconds, the flusher is armed, so it arms when they scratch at the litter, and goes off when the cat gets into position to relieve themselves.

mina found this unsettling, and it lead to her peeing outside of the toilet for the first time ever.

i noticed mina always looks the same way when she's using the toilet, she faces the bathtub, maybe she finds the blue and green shower curtain calming... who knows...

the best place to put the sensor was looking up between the toilet and bathtub.

i had to put it up on a box since the distance that it reads is pretty short

but now, it works like a charm, mina gets up, scratches as much as she wants, then positions herself facing the tub (over the sensor) and when she turns around to 'cover' her mess, it flushes.

now that false flushes have been eliminated, she's comfortable using the toilet again.

i did see it go off prematurely when she was pooing today - she shifted slightly to one side between poops. ha.

i told her 'honey, i can only do so much'

hahahaha.

good luck!
hope this helps the next person thinking about an autoflusher...

we bought this one:
http://www.firstchoiceokc.com/index.php?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=44

but from a different place - found it for about $30/$40 less...

pnklfnt
October 30th 2007, 06:56 AM
I just looked in Ebay, and found one for under $70 with shipping and handeling, and it's new in box. Just for anyone looking for one. I am still debating getting one myself. Although, once my two are fully trained and consistant in all their duties that will change. But, or now I'm pretty water conservitive, I don't see the need to flush after a scant pee of just one cat.

The item number in ebay for the flusher I saw is. 170163643723 There aren't alot listed in here, but for those of you looking hope that helps.

Empat
September 23rd 2010, 03:12 PM
I am resurecting this old thread because I want to know if there is any more feedback on the brand of automatic flusher to get for a cat.

Crisu
September 24th 2010, 04:06 AM
We have just installed Easyflush (http://www.cistermiser.co.uk/Default.aspx?PageID=28). Depending on your circumstances it can be installed as passive ("walkaway") or active ("wave") action. We have the wave action.
This is not the cheapest, but having read lots of reviews this seemed most reliable as it is installed mainly in commercial facilities, even though it can be installed in domestic bathrooms as ours.
As you know, our Bijou arrives only next week, so it is yet to be seen how she is going to use it, but you will be able to read about her progress in Bijou's diary, that I plan to keep since the day she starts.

Sintija
September 24th 2010, 08:55 PM
Hello Crisu,

May I ask how much did you pay for it?

I'm pondering over installing one in our toilet as well... not quite sure how efficient it'll be (i'm concerned about false flushes. Both kitties are terrified of water rushing down!)

Sintija
September 24th 2010, 09:09 PM
How about this one? http://www.citikitty.com/product-p/it01.htm? Apparently it's good, but I have read some bad reviews, too... :confused:

Crisu
September 24th 2010, 09:31 PM
Sintija,
Because of the fear of false flushes we opted for "wave" installation - meaning kitty or a parent has to wave before the sensor to trigger the flush. Sensor "looks" away to the wall, so unless you move in front of the space between the wall and toilet bowl, it wouldn't trigger by itself.
It is also great that you can set it to flush as little as 2 liters at the time - our toilet needs at least 6 to flush away any paper and stuff, which is still only half a tank. for long flush you hold the hand for longer than a second - which kitty never needs to :)
We paid 195 incl delivery and front adapter.
I read the reviews of other ones and did not like the unreliability. Ours is very reliable, but if your kitties are afraid of water rushing down then it may not be for you. When I have a bit time I can video record it for you - it is water making noise and rushing down, i feel a bit more than it used to when it was our old flushing mechanism.
But as it is like this from the beginning I hope that Bijou will get used to it.

Sintija
September 27th 2010, 09:20 PM
Hm... maybe I'll teach them to be calm near rushing wate first (I've done it few times already out of curiosity, but now I'll make an effort in showing them it's ok more often). I am dreaming of autoflush though.... :) :D that'll be the ultimate achievment for all of us.

Crisu
September 27th 2010, 10:36 PM
Sintija,

that's what I hope - that Bijou gets used to that. That's why we installed it before her arrival (on this Saturday) - so all she will experience is new and consistent. We tried to plan ahead and make as many changes in advance, so it would be less stress for her in the new house.
I hope that some animal psychology that works generally, would help with Bijou as well: to act come and natural instead of making fuss.

We'll see how it goes...

BTW, if you do opt for Easyflush, please contact me - I can give you few additional pointers. And read the documentation - I am not sure if the walkaway (passive) installation is suitable for kitties and all barrooms. Our installation is 'active' either myself or kitty needs to wave before sensor to flush. If kitty waves twice, it wouldn't flush twice, it has some time between 2 flushes (time is configurable). That would decrease the risk of kitty becoming compulsive flusher - it will flush once and remember a second flush (after the set time is passed) but would not memorize more flushes.

Best of luck with introducing the flusher to your furries.
Crisu

Empat
September 27th 2010, 10:43 PM
Hm... maybe I'll teach them to be calm near rushing wate first (I've done it few times already out of curiosity, but now I'll make an effort in showing them it's ok more often). I am dreaming of autoflush though.... :) :D that'll be the ultimate achievment for all of us.

I have made a point with my cat to flush the toilet when she is in the room as part of the training, now I will even flush it when she is still on the toilet and she has no problems with it. I would give her a treat as soon as she is finished her business to distract her from the need to scratch again and flush the toilet at the same time. She usually immediately hops back onto the toilet and watch the water and her poo go down, she is fascinated by the flush process.

I am looking for the autoflush type which detects when the cat leaves the toilet and flushes 5 seconds afterwards. I can't see my cat waving in front of a hand operated flusher to make it flush. She is smart, I just doubt that she is that smart and to be honest I don't want to bother trying to train her to do that.

Crisu
September 27th 2010, 10:49 PM
Empat,
it is actually much easier than you think. Cats, dogs and many other animals are training using target training - they are taught to touch the object that handler points and then they are rewarded. Flushing sensor is ideal target for target training and cats are really easily taking to it.
I am going to train my Bijou with clicker anyway and include the target training - so it's nothing extra what I wouldn't do anyway.
Also, Easy flush does have the fully automatic walk-away option - I just don't know too much about it and if it has configurable time delay or not - as we have a different option installed.

Sintija
September 28th 2010, 09:28 PM
Crisu,

Thank you :) If I ever decide to install it (hopefully!!) I'll certainly contact you. And I love your idea about target training. I'll google it tonight... sounds intriguing. I'm contemplating about training my cats with clicker (seems complicated though) and that'll be a superb goal.

Crisu
September 28th 2010, 09:45 PM
Sintija,
Clicker training is actually really simple and it is the same as praise, but just more precise. You click exactly i the moment when you see the desired behavior and then give a treat. They say clicker makes any behavioural conditioning easier.
You may already have read some things about it but if not one of the many possible places to look at: http://www.clickertraining.com/what_is_clicker_training
The clicker cost me 0.99, muliticlicker (with volume adjustment) was 1.30, but if you have many animals they suggest iClick II that has different digital sounds - different one for each animal.