PDA

View Full Version : The seat doesn't stay locked on toilet bowl....

MrsBopp
May 5th 2012, 11:44 PM
I'm in the red stage with my three cats. Today was the day to move the tray and seat up onto the toilet bowl. It doesn't lock onto either of my toilets! When any of the cats jump up onto it, their weight is causing the seat and tray to pop off the toilet bowl. So, it's scaring them. I had to put the trays back down on the floor next to the toilet. Why won't mine lock into place?

Help please?! Was going well until today....:(

Lucinda

Aurora
May 6th 2012, 12:34 AM
Have you tried using different combinations of the clips? There are 5 clips underneath, I believe, and you can remove any number of them to make the seat fit better on your toilet.

MrsBopp
May 6th 2012, 01:49 AM
Thanks. I will give that a try.

Also, I use the fresh step clumping multi cat litter. When I get to the next stage, is that going to be ok going down the toilet? I bought some of the crystal litter. The cats hate it. They have only been using the familiar litter and the crystal tray remains clean.

MrsBopp
May 6th 2012, 02:23 AM
:(

It didn't work taking the clips off. The shape of our toilet bowl is round...the shape of the bowl cover is oblong...It's like a puzzle piece that won't fit.

Every time one of the cats jumps up it still knocks it off and the tray with litter is going all over the floor.

Now what to do?

Aurora
May 6th 2012, 12:37 PM
If none of the combinations of clips works, you have a few options.

1) You can tape or otherwise secure the white LK seat onto the toilet bowl.

2) Cut away the portions of the white seat that are causing it to not fit onto your toilet bowl.

3) You put the toilet seat down over the white seat. If the toilet seat is enough to keep the white seat secure, this is the best option, because it's easier to get cats used to the toilet seat at the start of the training than introducing it at the end.

As for your cat litter, if it says "flushable" on the bag, then it is fine for your toilet. If it doesn't say it, you shouldn't put it in the toilet. If you have to change the litter, you have to introduce your cats to it very very gradually, by mixing a small amount of the new litter in with the old over time, slowly increasing the amount of new with the old. You should do this over a period of several weeks, and you should do it BEFORE you progress any further with the training. Introducing a new litter at the same time you are introducing a new stage of toilet training is always a recipe for disaster - it is too many changes for the cat to handle at once.

Norwegiangirl85
May 8th 2012, 02:53 AM
Mixing the litter over a period of time usually works, but I would advice to find a flushable litter that feels and looks similar to the one the cats are used to - the crystals are not very comfortable to step on for most cats. I got my cats to use the crystals, but it took some time and they never learned to love it, the reasons I used it was because I couldn't get anything else in my country except for clumping litter, and that should definetively not go down the toilet.

For more information about flushable litter and other tips for training - check out this thread: http://www.litterkwitter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3095

Good luck and keep us posted ;)

ThumbsMom
August 13th 2012, 01:44 PM
Hey there,
I had the same problem (and still do), but what I have found that works is to place the litter kwitter on the base of the toilet and then pull the toilet seat down over the LK so that it is resting on top of it. My cat seems to be doing just fine with it like that and I'm sure it will help in the following stages since he is getting used to the toilet seat itself and not the LK seat.

Glitchie
July 26th 2013, 07:30 AM
I am having the same problem. My cat, Jasper has learned that he can go under the rim and headbutt it and it will move. I also have tried moving and removing the clips and that doesn't work for me either. I am thinking of tape or perhaps Velcro around the rim of the toilet and the bottom of the LitterKwitter to see what happens. Right now I had to move it back to the floor with the red disc in it.