PDA

View Full Version : kitten's 1st day

oscoman
November 22nd 2011, 08:37 AM
Our 14 week old kitten has been with us for 2 weeks, and loves the water.
We placed the red ring on Sat. am, and by 7pm that night, he had pee'd and poo'd already!!! How long should we keep him doing red before advancing?

:)

Norwegiangirl85
November 22nd 2011, 08:53 AM
Have you put it on the floor or on the toilet? Have you changed to flushable litter yet? If not that is one of the first things you should do, and you need to do it by mixing the old with the new :)

You should keep the red on the floor for one or two weeks and then on the toilet for two weeks without accident before advancing. Before you move on to the amber stage please read this thread: http://www.litterkwitter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2662

If you have more time read this too: http://www.litterkwitter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3095

By the way, it's a good idea to put the toilet seat down early in the training to get them used to it...

oscoman
November 22nd 2011, 10:29 AM
it's on the toilet already, he's been using it all of the time, no accidents etc.
Thanks for the litter tip, will get some.
Appreciate your time!

Kronos
November 27th 2011, 06:14 AM
I would keep the red stage for at least a week, maybe 2 weeks to be safe. Cats are creatures of habit so you want to solidify the act of jumping up there to go potty before making another change.

Kittens in general are easier to accept change :) My 15 week old is also doing fabulous, but I am going super slow so my 2.5 year old can adjust.

Norwegiangirl85
November 27th 2011, 09:55 AM
I have actually heard of older cats that has trained faster than younger cats so I don't think that age matters all that much...I have also heard that cats scratch less when they get older, but then again they have used a litterbox alot longer...Personality, the connection to the owner and if they are eager to please or not might have more to do with how easy a cat is to train...and maybe if the cat is stubborn :p Other important things might be our feelings about the training, if we are stressed or not and how much we know before we start training to make the best decisions for our kitties...

The longer you stay on a stage, the better - like Kronos said they are creatures of habit and this is a habit and not a trick we are teaching them...Sounds like you are both doing pretty good so far, wish you the best of luck and don't stop asking questions ;)