PDA

View Full Version : Poo on floor but there is an exception please help!!

jinja
November 1st 2011, 03:17 AM
The reason we are trying to do the toilet is because my cat won't poo in a litter box.
We did litter changes, cleaned it really well and it has been a quiet and 'his' space to do his business. Once this never helped we decided to try soemthing drastic. Toilet training.
Now, we spent nearly two months and our cat will pee (on orange level) in the toilet, every time. He is fine however, he poos right next to the toilet every time. He wont poo on top of the toilet ever. With or without the hole.
So starting over on red level isnt doing us any good. we tried that, thinking we had rushed him but it's just like the litter box. He peed in litter box but pooed next to it,,, just like he does for the toilet.

We have no idea what else to do.

Tin foil fails.
Setting him on toilet when he poos, fails. In fact i think that make him anxious.

What else can we do? Life long poo on the floor?!?!:confused::confused::confused::confused:: cry:

devora
November 1st 2011, 03:39 AM
This is probably not what you want to hear, but have you ever thought of using puppy training pads and not having any litter box or litter at all?

Does he try to cover anything? if yes what does he use?

Aurora
November 1st 2011, 04:27 AM
Some cats just do not want to pee and poo in the same place, ever. In these cases the common advice is to have one more litter box than the number of cats you have. So if you have one cat, you should have two litter boxes. Have you tried to give him two litter boxes in the past? Since you are toilet training, perhaps you can try giving him the toilet plus one litter box in the bathroom and see if he will use that for pooping instead of the floor.

devora
November 1st 2011, 06:24 AM
I have really thought hard about your problem, but here goes.

If you can get the puppy pads with attractant, see if you can get him to use them, then after a while, cut them smaller. You will probably have to use double-sided tape to keep them in place.

Keep gradually making them smaller until they are the size of the red tray. When you get to that approximate size. Start by putting a board, perhaps a little smaller than the box the litter kwitter came in, maybe 2 cm high under the pad.

Very slowly start raising the board with the stuck on puppy pads that are approximately the size of the red tray. While this you cat will probably be using the toilet for #1 without even the green ring.

When it gets up to the toilet height try putting the puppy pad in the white seat, on the raised board. If all goes well, try cutting the puppy pad in half and putting aluminium foil for half the space.

If this all works, make a cutting board, like in the cardboard method, that leaves half the hole showing, in the space that had the aluminium foil, basically cut in half so it is a very large area that will have the puppy pad, and the other half hole into the water.

If all that works, gradually reduce the size of the cutting board with the puppy pad taped on.

Hope this does not sound too strange. Good luck

Norwegiangirl85
November 1st 2011, 06:56 AM
They say that a cat should be litter trained before toilet training them so I don't know if this will help...Maybe you will need to give treats when your cat use the litterbox first? Or do like Aurora said with multiple litterboxes...That said, my bengal peed and pooped everywhere in my apartement - after a few weeks on the green stage he started to use the toilet so I guess it's possible even if they are not succsessfull on the first stages...I did alot of things so not sure if one of the things or all of the things worked, but we have not had a problem with him since...I cleaned the accidents with urine off, used keep off afterwards to keep him away from those spots. He was in the bathroom when I couldn't watch him, had obstacles in all corners of the bathroom since he liked to use corners. I had Feliway diffuser in the bathroom to calm him down. I kept a schedual of when he used the toilet so I would know when to watch extra closely. Everytime he was sitting in some kind of pee position I said no and then put him on the toilet. I never let him out of my sight when he was around free, he got tons of treats when using the toilet...One day he just got it :)