PDA

View Full Version : Help I need suggestions!!! (UPDATE: some success!!)

conner
March 11th 2007, 09:19 AM
I have my 4 month old cat Lilly on Amber stage. She did really great on switching to the LK and switching to the toilet. No accidents and no probelms. She was on red for about 4 weeks. When we switched to amber, we have had nothing but problems. She has gone pee and poo only a few times on the amber stage, she goes everywhere else? I have put her back to red and she likes it but as soon as that hole gets in there, she freeks!

I have put the red under the amber with litter in it, but she still rebels. I have spent time playing with her around the LK and even put her on there while she got treats. She sleeps in the toilet room at night and still nothing. Its like she has a bladder of steel! I have tried chicken stock, but she didn't like that either. As you can see I have tried alot of things. I am currently trying the ignoring her in the hopes that it works. We have never punished her or locked her in the toilet.

Any more suggestions???? Please I am going crazy.

I'm sure I'm not the first one, but PLEASE HELP.
Thanks! :x

Gem
March 12th 2007, 10:58 AM
Hello Conner.

When you say "She has gone pee and poo only a few times on the amber stage, she goes everywhere else" what do you mean? On the rim, on the floor or somewhere in the house?

Our cat is new to the orange stay. She used to go to the toilet once a day for number two and at least a few times for number one. Now she only goes about once a day for each. You know she must be holding on because after she goes to the toilet she runs around the house like a lunatic.

Good luck!

ps sick of cleaning up pee and poo? I know I am!

conner
March 12th 2007, 02:12 PM
Hey thanks for the reply,
Yes, she goes around the house, in the corners, under the couch, in the plants!!!
I have the red tray under the amber tray. We did have some success after much sitting with her in the toilet for about an hour yesterday (and much prayer), today this afternoon, she shoved almost her whole body through the hole to the red tray. She just had her hing legs and bum up in the air. She dug a little in the litter and then out came the poo. My son and I sat in awe. We gave her lots of praise and a treat. Still no pee yet though.

I am not giving up yet. God is bigger than my problems. :lol:

PS. Yes I am so sick of cleaning up pee and poo around the house.

Angied
March 13th 2007, 10:04 PM
Hi

Yes, I've been there too! Sophie would not move from the red stage. I tried everything, red under amber etc etc. She was absolutely adamant she wasn't going to use anything with a hole in it! :shock: Finally I requested the amber intermediate disc from litterkwitter. It has a smaller hole than the amber so not such a shock.

At first she refused that too but after putting clear perspex under it she's finally moved to intermediate amber, which is a start! It's early days, but so far so good. Her progress is in a diary with photo's on her website - www.sophiecat.co.uk under 'potty training'.

Good luck!

Angie & Sophie :D

conner
March 14th 2007, 06:26 AM
Looks like I am making some progress. I think that my patience is paying off. Each time I think she needs to go, like after eating especially, we spend some time in the potty, sitting on the litter quitter. I dig in the litter and push around the sides of the toilet like I'm covering something up like they do. She keeps trying to leave but I gently reposition her and stick with it for at least 5 minutes. Then she starts to show some interest and then starts to reposition herself. If she doesn't have to go after 5 min, than I let her go. Lately, she has been going #1 & 2!!!

I have been very patient and never giving off any frustrated vibe while in the trying. Just like the dog whisperer, calm assertive.

I also sprayed some cat deterrant on the area she liked to go and that seemed to work too.

All in all, I think that our small success forward has been because of patience, repetition and keeping a very, very close eye on her.

Hope this helps somebody else.

Gem
March 14th 2007, 02:28 PM
Great news!

twincats
March 15th 2007, 02:11 PM
Just had a quick browse through Sophies impressive web site and saw a pic of how Angie had placed the red tray under the Amber. Im not sure if i was looking correctly but i think its different to when we were up to that stage.

We are struggling on the Green stage now after 8 months.

One thing i remeber doing to get onto the Amber stage was to place the Red tray under the Amber. It looked as though Angie had placed the Red on the white tray and then just placed the amber ontop. Sorry if ive missed something.

What i did at that stage was place the red tray resting in the toilet bowl (I cant remember if UK toilets are shaped different to Australian toilets. I know American toilets are different) and then put the Amber and White tray ontop.

I dont think this would work in the States but not sure about UK toilets. Actually i would just put in the red tray anyway with any shaped toilet. The point was to have a hole/gap but when my cats looked through it (Amber) they saw down into the bowl a red tray with litter on it, not water. So i created two levels, not just one tray on another. I hope this makes sense.

conner
April 9th 2007, 12:54 PM
Hey everyone! Just thought I'd let you know that we are still on the Amber stage, but making progress. I too put the red try under the amber for a while but I also started to slowly put water in it as well. So if she looked in there or put her head in there, she would see water and feel water. I kept adding water until it was as much as it could hold. She was going on there well with few refusals. I then took the red tray out and let the toilet show. She did freak again, and we are being very careful and watching her closely. BUT!@!!!!!!!, the BIG NEWS IS, when she does go on the LK, (which is mostly), she goes right through the hole!!.

A taste of freedom from litter. It is wonderful. This has given me good resolve and I am going forward. We have only been at this two months, but we are at least half-way there. I did start her when she was only 3 months old, but I think this may have been to my advantage.

Keep going everyone!

Hope the water in the red try suggestions helps someone else.