PDA

View Full Version : Drilling holes for drainage

devora
August 18th 2011, 12:35 AM
I do not have a problem yet, but in general I try to read others problems, and try to resolve them before they occur. I have noticed a few threads about pee pooling in the rings causing cats not to want to use the litter kwitter.

So I have decided to drill the holes before I get a problem, but what to choose?

1. hundreds of little tiny holes

2. larger holes, with the net used for flyscreens taped underneath to stop the litter from falling through, but what would be the maximum size before I would have to worry about his claws getting caught in the net.

3. any other suggestions

Rocky's Mom
August 18th 2011, 01:01 AM
When I was doing the cardboard/duct-tape method, I had a drainage hole, about the size of a large pencil, or my finger, in the cardboard.
I would drill 3 or 4 drainage holes in the green insert, opposite each other, or in the general area that your cat likes to use. I wouldn't worry about a screen or loss of litter, because I didn't lose much through the drainage hole I had.

By the time you are getting to the stage where you are reducing litter, and causing urine to pool, drainage is more important than litter anyway. :-D

devora
August 23rd 2011, 05:40 PM
I drilled lots of holes, it has made a big difference.

The urine drains straight through into the toilet bowl, this also keeps the litter dryer and saves a lot of litter.

I can feel that he like it better than the wet feet.

The cat never had a problem or accident, it was just that I could see that there could be a problem or accident, so the holes made me more relaxed, that has probably helped the cat.

Akalu
August 24th 2011, 04:35 AM
This is a GREAT idea!!! I think I'll do the same thing once we're on the toilet!! Smart!

Norma Pride
August 27th 2011, 01:06 AM
I also drilled multiple holes for drainage, but by then the litter had been greatly reduced. I started with holes at top, bottom and sides and put litter between holes only. Then I reduced litter more and drilled more holes. Best to use flushable litter; I used Swheat Scoop made from corn. The holes have to be a fair size or the urine will not drain. Good luck!