PDA

View Full Version : Problem with amber stage

Catherine Ferris
February 14th 2007, 10:47 AM
Would appreciate any advice. Our four month old cat had no problems whatsoever with the red stage. However, we have now had two unsuccessful attempts at the amber stage.

He refuses to use the amber disc. He will poke his head and shoulders through and play with the water but on our first attempt he hopped up into wash basin and did his wee in there. I put him back onto red for another ten days and then tried amber again yesterday. Same problem. I had to put red disc back this morning as he hadn't used the toilet for 24 hours and I was worried. I tried putting glad wrap under the amber disc to give him a bit of security but he was frightened.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

Catherine.

boonba
July 22nd 2008, 02:48 AM
Hi Catherine,

My cat had that problem. So I followed the advice in this website to carry on with the red stage until it really becomes second nature. I was still worried about going to amber, so I made my own intermediate tray. You know those pastic mounting boards you use in presentation? I cut one up to cover the hole and cut a smaller hole in the plastic board so now I have an intermediate disc.

It worked! They using it now quite comfortably. Next thing I'll do is to enlarge the hole large and let them get used to that. Eventually, I'll that out the board altogether. I'll update you guys.

alikat
July 22nd 2008, 05:23 AM
For a quick fix on stopping the cat from using the sink or tub, fill the basin with an inch or so of water. One of my cats decided she liked the tub better than the amber stage - after one accidental swim in the middle of the night, she changed her mind!!

KatnGiz
July 22nd 2008, 02:04 PM
The most common success story I think would have to be the intermediate stages, whether LK's or make your own.

Another important thing I believe is treats. Find out what your cat absolutely loves and treat with that. Gizmo loves her outside time, so once she's done both I let her outside. I saw a big improvement once I started doing that. Before I was just treating with some snacks.

Good luck.

koshkin
June 25th 2009, 01:06 AM
We had the same problem, but now we solved it! We placed red disk under the amber one (between water and amber, directly to our bowl). Our cat can't reach water, but he feels his usual odour. It works! :D

Kimberley
November 25th 2009, 06:38 AM
HoOrAy
My cat spent 1 or 2 weeks on red.
3 weeks on amber and has now succesfully used the green
I think Ill leave him on this stage a week or two.
Oh so happy were almost done

Rhapsody
February 12th 2010, 06:21 PM
I personally just went ahead and ordered the two extra disc... they have two Amber trays (one with a smaller hole) and two different size green trays, that which is needed for one of my two cats that moves at a slower pace.

http://www.litterkwitter.com/en/mkk.html

Aurora
February 13th 2010, 04:53 AM
My cats stayed on the red stage for 5 weeks before we moved to the intermediate amber disk. Even with that very small hole, my adult cat did not like it and began to search the house and cry while holding it in. For two days I put the red disk directly underneath the amber disk (so they nestled together) so that there was basically no hole at all, but this got my cat used to the presence of the amber disk with the calming influence of the red disk.

After that I put the red disk down into the bowl of the toilet and filled it with litter, and I do mean filled! There was such a mountain of litter on the red disk that it almost reached up to the hole in the amber disk. My cat was good with this and was back to eliminating as normal. Over the next few days I reduced the pile of litter that was in the red disk, and then one day when she really really had to go, I took the red disk out entirely and she went with no problem! After that we never needed to go back to the red disk.

howkewlisthat
August 10th 2010, 11:05 PM
I also put the red tray in the loo bowl. Our cat was instantly happy with this and our problem was solved. I'm slowly reducing the letter in the red tray to get her comfortable with the new layout.

Mow Mows
September 5th 2010, 01:16 PM
[QUOTE=Catherine Ferris;867]Would appreciate any advice. Our four month old cat had no problems whatsoever with the red stage. However, we have now had two unsuccessful attempts at the amber stage.

Catherine,

We've had the same trouble with our kittens about 6 months old. They seem to be scared of the hole in the middle. There are many tips about slowly exposing the hole using cardboard taped to the underside but be careful to always clean out the dirty litter as they wont use it. Also some people have trouble with the change in colour from red to amber as the cats wont go to the toilet if they feel uncomfortable or safe so consider the red under the amber tray in the toilet bowl... just a few things to hopefully help...

Rocky's Mom
December 4th 2010, 04:11 AM
Had a problem hopping to the amber stage, so I made the cardboard cutout with duct tape to sit under the green stage on the toilet that was mentioned on here.
Then, he was playing with the water through the hole and making a mess with the litter and water.
So, I took the suggestion of placing the red stage directly in the toilet bowl, under the Green/Cardboard arrangement.
It has worked so far. He still pokes his paw through the hole, but no water mess. Plus, I'm able to reuse the litter that gets pushed through the hole.

I'm slowly making the hole on the cardboard larger... and keeping fingers crossed.

The only downside so far is that the flatness of the cardboard causes the urine to pool up and get on his feet and rear end.
Can't wait to enlarge the hole to stop this!!

Rocky's Mom
December 4th 2010, 01:57 PM
Update for MacGiver Cardboard rig:
I put a large pencil sized hole - lined with duct tape - in the lower part of the cardboard to keep the urine from pooling and it worked. He did a wee and it drained to the lower red shelf inside of the bowl and his feet stayed dry.
Much, much better.:-D

catH
May 12th 2011, 09:54 AM
One of my cat's will not go number 2 on the Amber stage, and we even have the multi cat system. Once he sees any size hole in the LK he rebels against going number 2 and goes on the floor!

Please Help :(

When you talk about placing the red stage under the amber stage do you mean literally letting it rest in the bowl of the toilet? Or do you mean cupping it underneath the amber stage so it's within the fake white seat as well.

Boyfriend is starting to wanna give up the toilet training...need help fast! lol

Thanks,
Catherine H

Norwegiangirl85
May 21st 2011, 11:55 PM
I think that the cardboard method is better than using the multi-kat kit because you can make even smaller changes. Read this thread, it will explain how and why: http://www.litterkwitter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2662

If you want to try the red under amber, you could try to put it inside the amber tray first so they will get used to the color and smell of the amber tray and then let the red rest in the bowl and keep the amber inside the fake white ring...It is impossible to fit the red in my toilet bowl so I have not tried that, but I have tried the cardboard method and it does work wonders :)

devora
August 24th 2011, 05:15 PM
I balanced, not taped, the red in the bowl, it is not stable but it worked ok. I only did this for a couple of days just in case the amber hole bothered him.

My problem is to stop him putting his head down the amber hole.

He still puts his head down the amber hole but he does not try to get his whole body down there

tanita14
December 3rd 2011, 09:37 AM
Sorry about my language,I'm from Croatia.
My cat was 1 week on red stage,it was ok. Now we are on amber stage for 1 week and she pee and poo without any help,but she does it only in litter,no diretcly in the toillet trought the hole. I tried to help her find a hole,but then she refused using LK whole day. She used it late that day. Will she figure it out some day alone?
Thanks

Charlene
December 3rd 2011, 11:30 AM
HI,
I can't get my cat, Charlene, past the amber stage, she seemed to progress pretty quickly until then, but I can't get her to pee or poo IN The center hole? I've placed her on it and positioned her around the hole, but she just doesn't get it? She does pee and poop in the amber disk, but only around the edges...where the kitty litter is? How do you get the cat to pee or poop in the hole? Are you sure this works? How long does it take? WHat do you do to get the cat to pee/poop in the hole? I"m really getting frustrated. Perhaps she's just too dumb?

Carla

devora
December 3rd 2011, 05:35 PM
How long have you been on amber?

Sparky never used the hole, I think most cats do not.

I waited about a month then then changed to green.

Norwegiangirl85
December 3rd 2011, 09:16 PM
Don't worry if your cat is going in the litter and not the hole on the amber stage, they will start using the hole in the green stage or later - it depends on the size and positioning of your cat, but they will do it right in the end. Don't try to reposition them, they don't like it. Be happy they are using the amber stage at all ;)

If you put the toilet seat down over the LK it might help more get in the hole...

tanita14
December 4th 2011, 04:16 AM
Thanks,I hope she will do it wright on green stage 'cause she didn't make mistake on red even on the amber stage. She just doesn't like hole (for peeing,but she loves put her head and upper part of body in it :) )

Norwegiangirl85
December 4th 2011, 09:34 AM
Hopefully she will cope with the green stage as well as the amber, but alot of cats start having problems on that stage even if they have been good before so be aware of your cats reaction...The best would be to change it when you are at home for a weekend and monitor, some cats may use it a few times before they decided they don't like it so give her some time and if your cat is holding it, go back to amber and get some new advice here. Remember to stay at least two accident free weeks on a stage before changing anything. If your cat does not want to pee in the hole because of the sound of the pee hitting the water it might be a good idea to drill some holes in the amber tray to make her used to the sound before changing to green ;)

Charlene
December 8th 2011, 05:05 AM
Don't worry if your cat is going in the litter and not the hole on the amber stage, they will start using the hole in the green stage or later - it depends on the size and positioning of your cat, but they will do it right in the end. Don't try to reposition them, they don't like it. Be happy they are using the amber stage at all ;)

If you put the toilet seat down over the LK it might help more get in the hole...

Okay, I had switched to the green stage earlier, thinking well, the hold is bigger, she HAS to go in the hole now, but she didn't even want to use it or went on the floor? so then I started over, switched back to amber....My mom is not very helpful in this training stage, she doesn't tell me when she feeds him or when the cat is about to go? etc. she even brought the old litterbox back into the house, and locked the cat in a room with the litterbox, so the cat went back into the litterbox, got me mad. I got rid of the litterbox now. SHe just says: "THAT THING DOESN"T WORK", it might not, because it takes both parties to train the cat. Any how, I thought I had her back on track, she is/was using the amber stage again, but NOT going in the hole, just on the side where the litter is? Do I go back to REDSTAGE and put only litter in the center, so she knows about going in the center, or do I try the green stage again? and when you said, about putting the toilet seat down? Did you mean putting it down over the litter quitter? then it won't sit right?

Norwegiangirl85
December 8th 2011, 05:23 AM
Yeah, as I said many cats start having problems on the green stage even if they have used the other stages without problems, you might want to use the cardboard method from amber to green to make the transition to green smaller so your cat doesn't rebell again...( I have linked to the method earlier in this thread).

I put the toilet seat down over the LK, it wasen't very stable - but they got used to it since I had it down from the beginning of training. You could tape the seat to make it more stable and only remove the trays when you need to use the toilet yourself if that's OK...Remember that the change of putting the seat down might be enough for the cat to rebel so keep your eyes open.

Bringing the litterbox back only makes the cat more confused about everything, the LK does work - but only if everything is done right. Show your mom some videos to prove it can be done ;)

Charlene
December 9th 2011, 01:39 AM
Okay, my cat just doesn't want to use the GREEN stage, she uses the amber stage, but never goes in the hole, only on the side where the litter is. Since someone posted, that their cat never went in the hole either, I moved back up again, to the GREEN stage, but she now doesn't even GO in the litterkwitter, she peex on the floor and shits elsewhere in the house. I know that she knows she did wrong, because, she avoided me this morning, I think she thinks it's some sort of game? now that the hole is so big, she just doesn't want to use it!? I think she might be too dumb to use it? or too wild? My mother doesn't help any with the training, she's 80 years old and going senile. What do I do? I'd like to get rid of the dern cat, but it's my 'mothers', given to her from my cousin as a gift as a kitten. Uhgh!

Carla

Norwegiangirl85
December 9th 2011, 04:31 AM
As I said, go back to amber if she doesn't want to use the green, then make a slow transition from amber to green using the cardboard method...And stop caring about that she doesn't use the hole, she will when you are done training, just make sure she uses the toilet at all and not having accidents anywhere and everything will be fine. She is not too dumb or wild, cats don't like changes so you have to make them less noticable...Calm down and be proud of her, lots of cats won't even use the amber stage so she has done very good and I'm sure she can do this if you do things right ;)

Avi
February 27th 2012, 12:02 AM
Hello
I bought my litter kwitter 2 months ago everything was ok with the red stage we gave our cat about 1,5 month for it then we went to the amber one and the problem started.At the beginning we did not want to use it at all but after some treat he use it sometimes but that changed after 2,3 days.Now the poo or piss are all over the toilet.I dont know what to do it is like we decides when we wants to do it on the floor or in the toilet.
Together with my fiance we are desperate pleas help us.:cry:

Norwegiangirl85
February 27th 2012, 12:11 AM
Clean all accidents with enzymatic cleaners, go back to red for two weeks to calm your cat down and then try the cardboard method from red to amber :)

I have gathered some tips and stories to read here: http://www.litterkwitter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3095