PDA

View Full Version : New here 3 cats advice please

rubyhall
March 14th 2011, 09:04 PM
Hi,
I am looking into using this, I have 3 cats- 1 moggie (age 3) and 2 Ragdolls (age 1 & 2) there all girls and all use a litter tray, (they share the same one).
is there anyone who can help explain what it's like to train 3 cats, what problems you have had an how long it tends to take with multiple cats.

Also one of my Ragdoll's has had her first litter (4 kittens age 2weeks old)
And they will be leaving at 12weeks.
Am I right thinking it would be too wishful to try to train my 3 and the 4 kittens all at once?

Thanks for all your help in advance :-)
xXXx

Norwegiangirl85
March 14th 2011, 09:54 PM
Hi, I am training three cat's. I started the training with two cat's and had to start over againg when a new kitten moved in. I am at the green stage without litter now after 6 months. I think the reason it took so long is because we had to start over, but also because they learn at different speed and some cat's need more time than others. I think that training three cat's is more difficult because you need to pay attention to more than one and that you don't always know which one pood on the floor...I think the red stage will be difficult because you have to keep it clean at all times and that is not easy with three cat's so maybe you need to be more at home in the beginning or have someone to help you...

You can not train cat's under 3 months so I don't think it is a good idea to train the 4 kittens.

If you would like to know about my training and progress, read my thread:
http://www.litterkwitter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2565

Hope this helps a bit :)

rubyhall
March 14th 2011, 10:54 PM
Awh thanks for your help, I really wanna try them, I tried then on crystal litter before and they refused to go, so I am going to try and find a paper based litter instead.
I think I will change there litter over gradually in there current tray then when they are ok with it swap there tray for the red stage on the floor where the litter tray is kept, then after a couple of days move the red stage upstairs onto the bathroom floor then eventually onto toilet.

How long did you leave from having it on the floor to on the toilet?
Thanks, just had a read of your thread, will follow it :-)
xXXx

Norwegiangirl85
March 14th 2011, 11:48 PM
Happy to help :)

The first time with the two cat's I think we used 3 weeks on the red stage, two weeks on the floor because they needed time to get used to the new litter and one week on the toilet to get them used to jumping up. The second time with the new cat I used only one week on the floor and two weeks on the toilet because I was afraid my other cat's would get used to going at the floor again...

We didn't have much choice in litter, there was either clumping litter or crystal litter in the stores so I had to change to crystal. They hated it, but got used to it by mixing it together with the old slowely using more of the new and less of the old. I did not spend enough time changing the litter with the new kitten because I didn't want the other cat's to think they got their old litter back so I think that is why we had a lot of problems with the new kitten...I don't think he understood that that was litter and not something to play with or eat...And it makes a sizzeling sound when it falls in the water so they were a bit confused of that in the start, but are used to it now. The positive about the crystal litter was that it was very easy to clean. When I used the clumping litter and the tray was so small it all stuck like clay in the bottom of the tray...

There is a thread in here were people are discussing the pros and cons of different types of litter, worth looking at...

http://www.litterkwitter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693

Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask :)

rubyhall
March 15th 2011, 09:47 AM
I have gone for a paper based litter because it's closest to what they have now- bit expensive but hopefully we won't be using it for too much longer!!!
Have mixed the litter 50:50 and 2 if them have done a #1 in the red on the floor. So far so good!! :-D
xXXx