PDA

View Full Version : Cheshire and Zeke on poo

Chesh&Zeke
November 26th 2006, 03:34 AM
I have two boys. Cheshire is about 8 months old. He has a mouth deformity that makes him look like he is grinning. Zeke is about 9 months, and was named after the Cowardly Lion in the Wizard of Oz, because he is finding his courage! They "Adopted me" from the local animal shelter several months ago.
We started LK about 3 weeks ago and we've already learned a few things that we wish we would have done differently! :roll:
They already liked to hop on the potty so we started with the LK on the top. They immediately began using it! (Within a few minutes)
THEN I started changing their litter because they were managing to get litter into the potty and I was concerned.
*TIP* If you need to change litter do it before introducing the LK! I think it was too much change at once, and they started pooing in the tub. I was still mixing it with their old litter, but they didn't like it at all.
I've cut back on the amount of litter change and it has helped. When they started pooing again on the tray I tried to switch to Amber, and I put water in the tub and supervised closely. THey just stopped going at all.
The minute I put the red tray back on Zeke hopped up and did his business with no problem. (Although he growled lightly when I tried to re-position one of his feet! I'd growl too if someone messed with my feet while I was pooing!) Cheshire still didn't want to go...and I had to move the LK to the floor before he finally went.
The LK is back on the potty......they are using it. Red. THis morning when I got up to go to the bathroom I found they had used LK and covered their poo with TOILET PAPER. Smart cats!!! 8)
It's normal for human children to wee easily in the potty and have trouble with poo. Seems it's normal for kitty children as well. The less stressed you get with human children the better they do. I'm betting kitty children will be the same! :wink:

Chesh&Zeke
November 26th 2006, 03:51 AM
I forgot to mention another idea I had that has worked.
My little Chesh is very curious (as most cats are) and twice the toilet seat fell on him when he was inspecting LK and has scratched at the seat. I think this might have helped to frighten him off of it. (ya think?) Anyway, I took a piece of masking tape and taped the seat up to the back of the toilet. I only have one bathroom, which means I have to re-tape the seat every time but that's better than letting it fall on Chesh's head!

mi_mina
November 28th 2006, 05:56 AM
It's normal for human children to wee easily in the potty and have trouble with poo. Seems it's normal for kitty children as well. The less stressed you get with human children the better they do. I'm betting kitty children will be the same!
i think you're onto something...
i also felt like my apprehension/stress last night was projecting onto mina - i kept thinking 'if she'll only pee in it, i'll sleep well tonight'... and i saw her getting more worried and stressed... so i tried to play with her to get our minds off of the white elephant not in the room - the litter box...
i've trained mina to do other tricks, she normally responds really well to treats/praise and getting ignored when she doesn't do it right...
let's hope this 'trick' takes