PDA

View Full Version : just started Oscar went straight in and did a wee

annabanana
August 11th 2010, 02:47 AM
Oscar's old litter tray has been on the floor next to the toilet for months so when i put the LK down he used it straight away. Should i leave it there for a few days or put it up on the toilet?

He's quite a young cat, (1 year 4 months old) and is a Bengal so is confident and curious.

Any advice much appreciated

nidarasheed
August 11th 2010, 04:21 AM
2 weeks, please please wait 2 weeks before moving on to the next stage. It's a good rule of thumb and while there are people who have cats that have needed less time on each stage, risking having accidents on the floor is SO not worth it as it will take you months to get back to a no accident stage :)

Sintija
August 11th 2010, 05:49 PM
Agreed!! Wait at least 10 days if 2 weeks seems too long ;)

Empat
August 15th 2010, 07:26 PM
It depends entirely on your cat. If your cat is curious, let him see you move the tray up to the toilet, and even if he is big enough you might put a step stool next to the toilet. If your cat immediately jumps up to investigate things it will probably be fine. If your cat isn't interested in checking things out then keep it on the floor.

My cat was fine and went straight from the litter box on the ground, LK on the ground for the first pee and then straight up to the toilet right after that pee. No problem whatsoever. Stayed on red for 8 days, now onto amber with cardboard, still no problems. She has a step stool, but she is only 4 months old so not big enough to confidently make the leap.

nidarasheed
August 16th 2010, 07:06 AM
Empat is right. I think the older cats get, the more time they need on each stage.