PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning litter out of toilet bowl

avril
September 1st 2006, 01:10 PM
What is the best way to remove clay kitty litter from the toilet bowl? I am currently using a slotted spoon. It doesn't flush away readily, & I don't want to clog up my septic tank. Should I be using another type of litter?

Rachel
September 1st 2006, 02:39 PM
Hi Avril,
You definately should stop using the clay or clumping litter - it is, as you suggested, really bad for your septic system.
The Litter Kwitter team have been known to recommend "Breeder's Choice" - this is an environmentally safe litter and shoudl be available from supermarkets and pet stores. If not - try googling it.
I use crystals as they trap the smell really well and not much of it gets in the toilet - this is also available from supermarkets. It does fizz when it hits the water tho - some cats dont liek that - mine are fine with it.
To remove the clay from your loo - try flushing some really really hot water down. Also - mixing some "Domestos" with the water works really well - but isnt very good for the environment - best to try to keep it natural!
If this doesnt work - you wont be the first person to have scooped clumping litter from the bottom of the toilet (why do you think I changed to crystals?! :oops: )
Good Luck!

Pukin_Dog
September 6th 2006, 12:01 PM
I have flushed down litter for several years and never had a problem except when I used clumping litter. Don't use that and don't use woodpellets either since they expand a lot in the water and clogs everything to.

avril
September 7th 2006, 12:03 PM
Thanks very much for your replies, Rachel & P.D. I have ordered some litter crystals online. I live in the country, the local shops dont have any! Meanwhile, I'm still scooping....
Avril

imported_admin
September 9th 2006, 10:40 AM
Never ever use clumping clay, it will block you plumbing. Did you know that clumping clay is the # problem that property management companies have with high rises. The worst is in Thailand with people flushing tray loads of the stuff down the toilet from the top floor!
Instead use a natural, organic product that makes the flushable claim.
see
www.worldsbestcatlitter.com
or www.wonderwheat.com.au
or similar
:idea: Jo

avril
September 14th 2006, 09:22 PM
Thanks Jo,
I shall try to find a site that sells natural litter in NSW through mail order. I'll post the site address when I find one.
Avril

MochaChino
September 17th 2006, 05:40 PM
Hi Avril - hope ur having luck finding a new litter! I used to use clay litter, then crystals (catsan or snappy tom crystals) but i found they also tend to accumulate at the bottom of the bowl, and u have to glove-up and scrape them out regularly too :? For about 3 weeks now i've been using Breeder's Choice (i noticed someone b4 mentioned it) and it solves the problem very well - its paper based pellets that flush easily - no more bowl scooping!! Yay!
Cheers,
- Kym -

avril
October 26th 2006, 04:49 PM
Thanks MochaChino, I've been using Breeders Choice for a few weeks now, it's definitely the best!
Avril

Chesh&Zeke
November 28th 2006, 03:26 PM
For getting litter out of the loo....
I had an old goldfish net in my linen closet from when I had fish. The holes are tiny so litter is trapped, water runs through. It's WONDERFUL for scooping the litter my kitties love to throw!!! Plus the wire around the net can be repositioned to get into tight spaces. I scoop what I can, then stir up the litter to bring it up from the bottom and scoop again.