PDA

View Full Version : Peeing on the white rim

imported_admin
June 1st 2006, 01:58 PM
[N.B: Originally posted by: hailey. 07 Dec 05 8:45 PM (N/A)]
Hi Jo, I have two cats who have been introduced to the litter kwitter over the last week. Both cats are using the red disc while the litter kwitter is on the floor. However, one of our cats previously sprayed in his litter tray. He has been thoroughly vet checked and has had his urine tested to ensure he has no urinary tract problems. Since using the litter kwitter, most of the time, he ends up urinating on the white rim. His urine subsequently ends up running between the white rim and the red disc, then all over the floor. Should I move the litter kwitter onto the toilet or should I persist with it on the floor for the moment? Unfortunately he is a very private toilet-goer and it is very difficult to catch him in the act and reposition him at the appropriate time. Thanks.

imported_admin
June 1st 2006, 01:59 PM
[N.B: Original Reply by Doogie Posted: 11 Dec 05 10:07 AM (Australia)]
Doogie here,
Hi Hailey... Sounds like your cats intention is good& that is whats imortant, so praise him and pat him. If your around try to re-position him although he may object if he is a private chap!
You mention spraying, has he been de-sexed? Either way I was meowing with a cat breeder last week who is training her kittens and told me that its normal for male cats to do this anytime so do not worry. Its a bloke thing.
If you have been using the LK on the floor for 2 weeks and all are using it then go ahead & re-locate to the toilet rim.
N.B Ensure the urine is totally washed off the tiles as this is an open invitation to urinate on that spot over & over. Use an enzymatic cleaner for this after washing in soapy warm water.

imported_admin
June 1st 2006, 02:00 PM
[N.B Original Reply by Ange Posted: 11 Dec 05 5:31 PM (Australia)]
I have just started mine on the Litter Kwitter on the floor, but was worrying that there may be some missing of the Litter Kwitter, because mine were used to large enclosed trays, so I purchased a clear plastic painters sheet from the hardware shop, only needed to cut a small peice. Just to put under the tray to catch any accidents, before they reached the tiles. So far had no misses, but it is there just incase.
This may help you until you can move up to the toilet stage.
Regards,
Angela.

imported_admin
June 1st 2006, 02:01 PM
[N.B: Original Reply by Hailey Posted: 11 Dec 05 6:10 PM (Australia)]
Thanks guys. We've moved onto the toilet and everything is going fairly well, except the other cat won't jump up himself. He holds and holds until I put him up there and then he's quite happy. Its only day 2 so fingers crossed!
I also found some matts called "No more puddles" which are for toilet training dogs to put underneath the litter kwitter while it was on the floor. The matts soaked up all the urine and worked quite nicely.

imported_admin
June 1st 2006, 02:03 PM
[N.B: Original Reply by Ness Posted: 12 Dec 05 6:09 PM (Australia)]
Hi Hailey,
If your cat won't jump up, maybe try making a staircase for him (old phone books or something). Maybe he is scared that he doesn't know what is up there - giving him a staircase lets him walk on to the toilet.
Ness

imported_admin
June 1st 2006, 02:04 PM
[N.B: Original Reply by Hailey Posted: 14 Dec 05 7:08 PM (N/A)]
The staircase has worked very nicely! But back to my original problem... we are still having issues with the birman spraying. He was desexed when he was a kitten, and although sometimes he actually urinates on the red disc, a lot of the time he ends up urinating onto the white rim, or worse is if he semi-sprays onto the underside of the toilet seat which has been flipped up. The urine then runs all over the toilet rim. Lovely. I've tried to reposition him, but this doesn't seem to help. So I've moved onto the amber disc. I'm not sure whether this is the right thing to do, but I figure it'll give him something to aim at! Any thoughts on this problem??? By the way, mine both love dried liver treats. Thanks for all the help so far. Hailey

Moustique
November 2nd 2006, 12:11 PM
Hi,
I have the same problem with my cat Moustique and I use training pads (that are made for dogs) to put under the LK so that if he pee not at the right place, the pad will absorb it and it won't end up on the floor. :idea:
Good luck with this idea.