PDA

View Full Version : Training 2 Cats

Stav
July 24th 2006, 04:59 PM
I have a problem we have 2 cats, 1 very timid siamese & 1 very outgoing burmese. We are currently on the red disk on the toilet. Just when we thought everything was progressing well the siamese weed on the bed. It seemed to be that the siamese would refuses to use the lk if the burmese had done a poo in it - we try to keep the disk clean but it's hard during the day as my husband and I both work. We thought if we went quickly onto the amber disk it might help as the poo would go straight into the toilet - but the burmese wasn't ready to be moved on and refused to go to the toilet at all - so we went right back to square one with the tray on the floor, we have now had the tray on the toilet for just over a week and we have had some accidents - not on the bed thank goodness (as we are removing pillows and quilts each day). Does anyone have any advice what we can do? or do we have to just try and be vigilant, wait it out and move onto the amber disk in due course?

Rachel
July 28th 2006, 10:42 AM
Hi Stav,
Can you close the door to the bedroom while you are at work? at least that way your bed is safe
And you were right - if you really want to train them - then patience is the key. I had heaps of issues training my 2 cats.... admittedly we are still on the red stage - but there are no more accidents - and that has taken us nearly 6 weeks!
My older male cat was very resistant to this change.... and I got the best advise from Doogie's team - buy some "Pit R Pat" treats either form your pet store or online.... they are a little liver treat and are like lollies for cats.....
I bought some and then as often as I could - like once an hour when I was home... I would get each cat individually and have like a 5 minutes lesson..... I would get them to hop up onto the LK and put them in the right position - then I would give them the treat and spend the rest of the 4 minutes patting them and telling them how good they were - heaps of praise.... This makes them feel comfortable up there - but also it teaches them that everytime they go to this spot - they get a yummy treat....
The treats were the only thing that worked - and even if one cat is using the LK well - still train that one as much as the cat using it less - you cant play favourites!
I did that for 5 days straight..... and even got my husband to do it - i think that was really important - as it taught them the treats were about the LK - not just me. So if you partner will do it too - I think that will help
You sound like you really want this to work - and I really want it to for my cats too!
Try the treats... and let me know how you go!
Rach

Mishell
July 29th 2006, 01:02 PM
Hi Stav
I have two cats as well, one is outgoing and the other like yours a little timid. I found that getting Phoenix (timid one) to watch big brother Vincent go was very helpful.
Like Rachel suggested, patience and plenty of treats. I also did one on one training, (I closed the door to stop the other one stealing treats) and put treats up on the window sill so they had to climb up on the toilet to get them. This helped with their confidence. I also closed every door in the house so they couldn't pee anywhere else without my seeing them.
Good luck
Mishell

Stav
August 1st 2006, 12:49 PM
We've moved onto the amber stage. I put the red disk in the toilet bowl like someone else suggested and Nash (outgoing burmese) has been fine - he poos & wees no problems. Kasey (timid simamese) really wanted to go she would jump up scratch, jump down I ended up locking her in the toilet and she pooed pretty much straight away. I think she's ok weeing just the pooing is an issue. She pooed on the bed again (but I would prefer poo to wee as at least the poo just sits there the wee soaks into everything) We cant lock out bedroom door as the toilet they are training on is our ensuite - as we felt this would be the most convenient toilet for them to use. I believe that we will get there but I think it may take longer than we want. I'm currently 35 weeks pregnant and my husband wants them trained before I go into hospital - so that he doesn't have to clean the trays. I somehow think that it may take longer than that.

Stav
August 7th 2006, 07:24 PM
I looked for Pit r pats @ my pet store but they didn't have any. Kasey is still pooing on the bed (in different spots each time), we've tried putting bottles of water on the bed, it seems to make no difference. We are seriously considering moving the LK it to a different toilet so that we can close off the bedroom - but it seems a shame to take a step back when Nash is using it beautifully.

joanne
August 7th 2006, 08:15 PM
Hi
We are at early stages yet (still on red with wee in the toilet and poo on the floor). I am training her in the ensuite.
Abbey, My girl, pooed on the bed ONCE during the first week and armed with advice in a posting from merridoc I gave her the Cold Shoulder. :idea: I didn't talk to her for the rest of the night and pushed her away when she wanted a pat.
The next day when I got home Abbey had made a 'nest' on the bed by pushing aside the blankets and wrapping herself in a pair of my trackpants. This was very unusal behaviour for her, so she was obviously concerned that I would never talk to her again.
I don't think this treatment should be used except for extreme circumstances but boy did she get the message!
She still poos on the bathroom floor and the laundry floor (I've shut the laundry door now) but I do not think that she will ever do it on the bed again.
There is a wealth of helpful information on this website and the Cold Shoulder is referred to in a number of postings. Jo also mentions it in the introductory pages. Take heart, I am sure that you will find more help here no matter how bad it gets.
Good Luck,
Joanne

Stav
August 10th 2006, 12:33 PM
Well we have moved the LK to the upstairs toilet so that I can close off the bedroom. Nash christened it (with a poo) upstairs pretty much straight away showing that he's not fussed. Kasey has done a wee on it but nothing else yet. We were at the vet 2 days ago getting our dogs stiches out from being desexed and I saw a brochure on calming medication for cats - we've got some to try and gave Kasey her first dose last night but she was really not keen on it and I have some beaut scratches to prove it plus she then wouldn't come near me for about an hour. Don't know if this is the answer but I'm willing to try anything. The vet said that if she's still nuts in 2 weeks then it wont work for her. I just hope that tonight wont be as bad.

Rachel
August 10th 2006, 05:46 PM
Hi Stav,
2 weeks? 2 weeks is nothing! it took me 3 months to get my kitties using it just for wees - and 1 months later - the poos are still on the floor.
Its the rewarding thing that is your best shot..... i.e. they will WANT to just sit up there coz they get treats or heaps of pats and love.
Here is a link to buying Pit R Pat treats on the internet - http://www.ozpetshop.com.au/product_info.php/products_id/1024
have you tried the training sessions once an hour (or as ofetn as possible) over a weekend?
Also - have you tried locking the kitties in the bathroom at night for a few nights?
seriuosly - dont give up in 2 weeks.... I know its already been a few weeks - but like I said it took me months! It will work! i seriously thought one of my cats was never gonna get it - and nearly gave up..... but then one day it clicked - and I truely believe this will happen with your kitties.... Its hard when you and your partner work days - so bo heaps of training at night and on the weekends....
I hope things get better.....keep trying
R

Stav
August 10th 2006, 06:45 PM
sorry I meant 2 weeks for the calming medication to work. I think it's been 4 or 5 weeks that we've been trying to train them on the LK Today she's been trying to use the LK (I think for poo) she will get up scratch around and get back down. I think she does want to use it - just doesn't feel safe or can't get herself into the right position, she's fine to wee though (we are on amber) she fell off the side so I'm hoping she hasn't lost complete confidence.

Stav
August 11th 2006, 12:02 PM
Well it was a long night. When I opened the bedroom door Kasey ran & jumped on the bed and started scratching so I picked her up and put her on the LK - she scratched around got into position and nothing! So I stayed with her for 'bout 15 mins putting her back on still nothing. I locked her in the toilet for about 30 mins (heard scratching) when I checked - nothing! So I let her out and in the morning still nothing. I put the red disk on and Nash weed on it - so then I cleaned it - put the red disk back on and still nothing, I took the LK off the toilet and put it on the floor and locked her in the toilet. She kept calling me but when I went to see - nothing!!!!!! I ended up leaving her for about another 30 mins and when I returned she had done a wee (thank goodness) but not the poo I was hoping for. I've put the amber disk back on and put it on the toilet and we she see what today brings.

Stav
August 11th 2006, 05:20 PM
I went out this morning for a coffee with my sister and when I came home there was poo in the toilet! yippee! I'm pretty sure it was Kasey's (I hope it was Kasey - if not she's not pooed for 2 days) Hopefully she's worked it out.

joanne
August 11th 2006, 07:26 PM
Stav,
I hope it was Kasey and congratulations if it was.
My Abbey only does a pooh every 2nd day so it is a long time between opportunitues!
Please keep us up to date on your progress. We are all suffering similar problems and like to hear how it is going.

Stav
August 14th 2006, 05:48 PM
I'm pretty sure it was Kasey as Nash did a poo later that day and it's not normal for him to do 2 poos in 1 day. But we haven't had another poo from Kasey since Friday morning - she's weeing fine and I have looked for poo elsewhere but there's nothing so I don't know if she's hanging on or if there is a problem.

Stav
August 14th 2006, 08:09 PM
Yippee Kasey pooed on or should I say through the amber/orange LK - she was wandering around complaining but everytime I took her to the LK she acted like 'no, I don't need to go' so I ended up pretty much ignoring her - she jumped on the bean bags and started positioning herself so I picked her up and locked her in the toilet - she went straight away (she must have been busting) and then gave her a treat and pats - hopefully she will start to realise 'I go on the LK and get yummy treats'. I guess it's just a matter of doing it over and over - until it's second nature.

joanne
August 16th 2006, 08:55 PM
Hi Again and congratulations!
Abbey and I are still discussing where the poos go on red. She knows darn well what is required - she is just being stubborn. It has all become a game for her. Chatting with people on various other threads.
I am convinced that once the initial trepidation is over that it just becomes a battle of the wits. I have read so many postings where the owners are at the end of their tether and then the cat suddenly complies. Perhaps the pets sense that they have pushed too far and realise that.
Good luck for continued progress

Stav
August 18th 2006, 09:50 PM
We have had sucess (finally) I was out yesterday afternoon and came home to find Kasey had done a poo on/through the LK. I think she is coming around to pooing on it. Nash has no problems but we have dubbed him the toilet police - if anyone goes to any of the toilets in the house he will wander in to see what's going on he has actually jumped up on the seat behind me while I'm doing 'my' business and he loves to watch the water when the toilet is flushed he will sit on the seat and just stare at it. I hope that means he will proceed with the other disks without problem - he is a chunky cat and I'm not sure how he will go balancing on just the seat when we finally get there.

BLAZN420
June 30th 2008, 03:28 AM
I am having a similar problem. I am training 2 cats Daisy poops and pees in the LK with no problems. My other cat midnight will pee in the LK but refuses to poop in it. She goes on the floor next to the toilet, I have even put the LK on the floor and Midnight still refuses to poop on it. I am still on the Red Stage BTW.